The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
http://www.brewtonstandard.com/articles ... orts03.txt
Richardson to be guest speaker at Wild Game

Former New York Yankees second baseman Bobby Richardson will be the special guest speaker at the 16th annual Wild Game Supper.

Richardson spent 12 seasons with the Yankees (1955-66) and compiled a lifetime .266 batting average. Richardson won five Gold Gloves during his career. His most famous defensive play occurred on the final out of game seven in the 1962 World Series when he snared a vicious line drive off the bat of San Francisco Giants slugger Willie McCovey with the tying and winning runs on base.

Richardson was selected the 1960 World Series Most Valuable Player when he hit .367 with a grand slam and 12 RBIs. The Yankees lost the series to the Pittsburgh Pirates in seven games. Richardson is the only World Series MVP to come from a losing team.

Richardson, who was selected to seven American League All-Star teams, had another big postseason moment in the 1964 World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals when he tied the World Series records for most hits in a series with 13.

After his playing career ended, Richardson entered the collegiate coaching ranks at the University of South Carolina. His best season at the school came in 1975 when he guided the Gamecocks to a 51-6 record and a berth in the College World Series championship game where South Carolina lost to Texas.

Richardson also had coaching stints at Coastal Carolina College and Liberty University. Richardson served as athletic director at Liberty and held that position until he stepped down in 1990.
Richardson is still an active member in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and served 10 years as the president of Baseball Chapel.

The Wild Game Supper will be Feb. 3 at the Brewton First Baptist Church. The meal will be at 5 p.m. followed by the program at 6:30 p.m. The program will feature a Big Buck contest. Tickets cost $3.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I saw this and and wasn't sure how to post this. Bobby was a great guy and I ran into him at a Winter Baseball Metting a few years ago. He really built the baseball program at CCU.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I've heard hundreds and hundreds of speakers...he's a the top of the list
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
maybe he'd come back as a pitching coach.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
His granddaughter goes here shes in my sister dorm right now im trying to get her to have him sign a baseball for my grandpa he was his fav player back in the day.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
From one of the NY fishrags ...
Bobby Richardson not alone in his return to the Stadium

Jim Baumbach
1:13 AM EDT, July 13, 2008

The last time Bobby Richardson took part in Oldtimers Day festivities at Yankee Stadium was 2003, the season the Yankees celebrated their 100th year in New York.

Afterward, the former Yankee with four World Series rings promised it was his last.

Richardson was 67 years old at the time and said, "I was probably the oldest guy playing. By far." So they made him the designated hitter, batted him leadoff -- and stopped him from running the bases.

"I got a base hit my first time up, and I can still run," Richardson, 72, said by phone last week. "I was running real hard to first base, and Cliff Johnson, the first baseman, stopped me and said, 'No, stay right here.' The ball rolled around the outfield and I could have easily gotten a triple. They put a pinch runner in for me. So I figured that was a good time to retire from Oldtimers games."
Click Here for Full Story
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I saw this and and wasn't sure how to post this. Bobby was a great guy and I ran into him at a Winter Baseball Metting a few years ago. He really built the baseball program at CCU.
Which Winter Meetings was that? When they were in Dallas (not the one a couple years ago but the one before that)?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
South Beach back in the Early '90s before I realized that I couldn't live on the $200/mo they were offering play-by-play guys back then. Winter Meetings were a kick in the pants. You literally trip over baseball people trying to make deals.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:South Beach back in the Early '90s before I realized that I couldn't live on the $200/mo they were offering play-by-play guys back then. Winter Meetings were a kick in the pants. You literally trip over baseball people trying to make deals.

People dont realize...if you're a fan with ZERO connections you still should go simply to see and get to talk to all the faces that you'll recognize...I would be perfectly content never going to a meeting or seminar and just stay in the Lobby and talk to all the baseball heads

Man...South Beach....I bet that was pretty fun...this year it's Viva Las Vegas 8) :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Oh, so I expect Pete Rose to be in attendance.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]