The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
In case you were wondering whatever became of Travis:
Published: February 14, 2006 11:40 pm

Eisentrout’s travels
By MIKE MASTOVICH
The Tribune-Democrat

Perhaps it’s irony or maybe just coincidence. Either way, Berlin’s Travis Eisentrout will play one of the final basketball games of his college career a mere 40-minute drive from his hometown.

The California University of Pennsylvania senior guard and his teammates visit Pitt-Johnstown at 7:30 tonight in a key East Regional matchup.

The journey home has followed a wending and sometimes tumultuous path. Eisentrout scored 2,824 points at Berlin and led the Mountaineers to their first District 5 Class A title in 24 years back in 2001. But it’s taken five years for him to truly settle into the college game.

“I’ve had my ups and downs over the past few years,” said Eisentrout, who’s been part of three programs, sat out one year and was snubbed by a Division I coach since his high school graduation. “But I’m just trying to go out on top and be as successful as I can be individually and as a team.”

A four-year starter at Berlin, Eisentrout averaged 26.9 points a game. As a senior, he tallied 1,055 points and averaged 35.7 points and 10 rebounds a game as a first-team All-State selection. Eisentrout netted 57 points in a single game.

He verbally committed six months early to play under scholarship at Division I West Virginia University. But the Mountaineers never sent the official scholarship papers to Eisentrout.

“The day I was supposed to sign, they backed out on me,” Eisentrout said of former WVU coach Gale Catlett and his staff. “I was verbally committed to them for six months and a lot of schools weren’t recruiting me anymore.”

His next option was at Division I Liberty University, where Eisentrout started as a freshman. But the head coach was fired and Eisentrout transferred to Division II IUP, where he collected an Indians-best 292 points in 2002-03.

IUP and Eisentrout weren’t a comfortable fit. He transferred to California and sat out the 2003-04 season.

Last year, Eisentrout averaged 8.3 points a game while playing with mononucleosis.

“Obviously when you experience down times it’s frustrating but I think it’s a test of character whether you can bounce back or not,” Eisentrout said.

This season, he averages 7.8 points a game for the 16-7 Vulcans.

Next up, UPJ.

“There’s supposed to be a lot of people coming to the game,” Eisentrout said. “I’m just going to go and try to play my game and get the win for Cal. UPJ has a quality team this year. Both of us are fighting for regional playoff position.”

UPJ is 18-5 after Monday’s one-sided 109-78 win over Mount Aloysius. Chris Gilliam leads the Mountain Cats with 19 points a game. Steve Scorpion, who went over 1,000 career points on Monday, averages 11.8 points and Kyle Goldcamp, 11.3.

California leads the all-time series 16-9, but UPJ has won two straight. Last season, the Cats edged Cal 86-80 at Hamer Hall. Two years ago, host UPJ won 72-70.

“They’re pretty close to us as far as the rankings go,” UPJ coach Bob Rukavina said. “It’s just a huge game because they’re a good team.”

Under different circumstances, Rukavina might have Eisentrout in his lineup.

“I tried to get him both times he transferred,” the UPJ coach said.

While he never played for the Mountain Cats, Eisentrout did work for UPJ.

“I did an internship up there this summer in the athletic department,” Eisentrout said. “I know about half of their team.”
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/college ... 34043.html

There is a game action picture of Travis at the above link that I can't get to work.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
quite the career path, there.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
First, Eistentrout has made up his mind to transfer long before Hankinson got fired, or so i heard from many folks. He couldn't hit the ocean from a boat, and his attitude was about equal with his defense (both terrible). He did however have a rumor flying that he landed a date( and possibly more) with a very attractive university employee, but that would have been the only score worth a note if you ever saw him play.
By Formerplayer
Registration Days Posts
Travis was my boy, he was a cool young fella. He did have a bit of an attitude but it wasn't that seroius. The kid could shoot Mel just had him trying to create his own shot and that wasn't his game, I really think if he would have stayed and played for Dunton he would have been better off as a player. I will tell you he was dating a hot LU employee but I will not confirm who she was but she was hot as.........
Rocketfan wrote:First, Eistentrout has made up his mind to transfer long before Hankinson got fired, or so i heard from many folks. He couldn't hit the ocean from a boat, and his attitude was about equal with his defense (both terrible). He did however have a rumor flying that he landed a date( and possibly more) with a very attractive university employee, but that would have been the only score worth a note if you ever saw him play.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
I know who she was, but it pains me to think that he could have actually had a chance let alone dated. It you can't create your own shot in college basketball, no matter how good of a shooter you are, then you are a liability.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
we called him eisencarp
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Rocket Fan,

I disagree, there are a lot players in DI who aren't that great at creating there own shot, but are solid players. Hankinson's teams ran a "free wheeling" offense. I think we all agree about that. No one even set screens. Eisentrout would have been decent had the team run a better offense. Even JJ redick isn't the greatest shooter when he has to create his own shot. I agree with Chris C.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
Didn't have any offense or defensive scheme, he was a complete doubletalker who couldn't coach his way out of a phone booth. I never heard Hankinson even comment on his offense, he was too busy trying to implement his D IN MARCH! Eisertrout couldn't hit the ocean from a boat with no-one contesting the shot . I watched those games and wasn't impressed, nor did his attitude help. The kid had 0 potential. I can't believe you even mentioned JJ and Eistentrout in the same sentence .......wow i wont' even comment on that.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Lets see...Eisentrout hit more threes than any one in the history of high school ball in Pennsylvania. I realize DI is different, but seriously, he had very few open shots out of Hankinsons offense. I'm sure with different coaching he would have shot at least as well as he did in DII.

And No, Redick doesn't compare to Eisentrout, I'm just saying they are the same type of shooter, with JJ being several inches taller and more athletic. JJ can't score on a more athletic defender. This showed up late last season and in the tournament. However, JJ will do fine in the NBA since no defense is played there.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
kel varson wrote:Lets see...Eisentrout hit more threes than any one in the history of high school ball in Pennsylvania. I realize DI is different, but seriously, he had very few open shots out of Hankinsons offense. I'm sure with different coaching he would have shot at least as well as he did in DII.

And No, Redick doesn't compare to Eisentrout, I'm just saying they are the same type of shooter, with JJ being several inches taller and more athletic. JJ can't score on a more athletic defender. This showed up late last season and in the tournament. However, JJ will do fine in the NBA since no defense is played there.
While I somewhat agree with what you're getting at (he could have been better in the right system, maybe not good though), as for open shots, he did have the infamous 1-on-none-fastbreak-3-point-brick-with-nobody-to-rebound-the-ball shot. That's about as open as you get. It's just one of the dumbest shots I've ever seen.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
All those threes in HS and all he was concerned with here was getting a date with a former ladies flames staff member. Maybe if he had focused the same energy he could have been ok. I mean the guy was awful on defense as well. When you get to college no one cares about your HS stats, then are like your HS days....in the past. JJ Redick got tired towards the end of the year from carrying the team.....eisentrout couldn't carry jj's jock. Eisentrout was what he was, but Mel hyped him big and the kid MIGHT have been a decent option for kick out threes and we needed a whole lot more than that. One of the laziest players i ever saw, and if you put him under Dunton, he would have been booted off the team faster than he could throw up his next brick.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:All those threes in HS and all he was concerned with here was getting a date with a former ladies flames staff member. Maybe if he had focused the same energy he could have been ok. I mean the guy was awful on defense as well. When you get to college no one cares about your HS stats, then are like your HS days....in the past. JJ Redick got tired towards the end of the year from carrying the team.....eisentrout couldn't carry jj's jock. Eisentrout was what he was, but Mel hyped him big and the kid MIGHT have been a decent option for kick out threes and we needed a whole lot more than that. One of the laziest players i ever saw, and if you put him under Dunton, he would have been booted off the team faster than he could throw up his next brick.
It is frightening how you can combine this thread and the CJ cowgill thread. What wiht the ties to the Lady Flammers, no defense, questionable shot selection...............
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
From a Somerset Co. (PA) fishwrap ...
Former 1,000-point scorers to play in Berlin basketball fundraiser

Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:37 AM EDT

BERLIN — Two fundraising basketball games showcasing former high school players from Somerset County — each scoring 1,000 or more career points — tip-off April 5 at the Berlin Brothersvalley High School gym.
The former standout student-athletes — including the county’s all-time leading scorer Travis Eisentrout (2,824 points, Berlin, 2001) — will challenge area alumni teams.

Eisentrout is the 12th all-time leading scorer in the state. He began his college career playing for Liberty University and ended his career at California University of Pennsylvania.
Click Here for Full Story
By p8triot22
Registration Days
Travis was a nice kid. :-) However, his choice of transfer school...quite questionable. Ugh. I went up there for grad. school. Thank God the program was only one year. Cal. U. definitely not up to par with LU. I saw Travis when I was up there...he was doing well there.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]