The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Guys,

I hope some of you get to read this in real time and tune into ESPN 2 because the TP tradition has been re-visited. As we have talked about on other threads, Liberty fans used to throw streamers and Toilet Paper at the floor on the first bucket of every game. Back in 86 it was outlawed by the NCAA because it became too dangerous. The tradition actually started in the great city of Philadelphia in a city series they called the Big 5 basketball series. The series went away in the 90's but is back thanks in part to coaches in Philly that brought it back. The Palesta on the Universithy of Penn is where most of the games were played over the years. Penn, LaSalle, St Joes, Villanova and Temple are the participants. The championship game is tonight and they had fans throw a few streamers with no penalty. Earlier in the year they showed highlights of a game that the NCAA allowed an exemption for throwing the streamers! It looked awesome. Maybe Sports Center will use the footage as a lead in to the highlights on the 11:00 show. Us Old Hags remember that tradition fondly and you youngsters or even others that didn't get a chance to live it can see what we were talking about.
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
it's the Palestra...not to be a spelling nazi...i'm just tired of hearing about big 5 basketball. Up here in PA, that's all you hear about is the "parochialness" of Philadelphia sports. Villanova doesn't even belong with those teams, their on the Main Line, 20 miles from philly. not to start a rant though
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Thanks Pastor Zack. Clearly that was a typo. I would get my Philly card revoked if I went around calling it the Palesta! :lol:
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I love these Philly games. It's so loud no matter what happens because you've got like a 50/50 gym fan wise. It's something else.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Villanova claims Big 5 title
No. 4 Villanova rallies past St. Joseph's

PHILADELHPIA (AP) - Kyle Lowry was a high school star in Philadelphia, so he went to Villanova understanding the Big 5 rivalries a little more than his out-of-state teammates.

Problem was, most of his appreciation came from watching on TV instead of the bleacher seats inside the famed Palestra.
"You heard about it all the time," Lowry said of the arena on the University of Pennsylvania campus. "It was always sold out in here so I couldn't get tickets."

The game was sold out again, only this time Lowry was one of the star attractions instead of watching from the outside.

He jump-started a sluggish offense with 17 of his 25 points in the second half, and Randy Foye and Allan Ray each had 14 points as the fourth-ranked Wildcats beat Saint Joseph's 71-58 on Tuesday night to win the coveted Big 5 title.

"The Big 5 is unique and different from anything around the county, so it was just fun to be out there in this kind of game," Lowry said.

These schools played the very first Big 5 game on Dec. 14, 1955, and the culmination of a yearlong celebration of the city series saw a thrilling start to the next half century.

After a lackluster start that saw them shoot 30 percent and trail by 12 points at halftime, the Wildcats (18-2) came out running, trapping and scoring at such a rapid rate that Saint Joseph's (10-10) must have felt like it was playing a different team.

Lowry scored the first two baskets of the second half, and when suffocating defense forced a turnover and led to a fastbreak dunk by Ray, the Palestra, which holds 8,700, exploded like there were 20,000 fans stuffed inside. Another turnover led to a dunk by Shane Clark and the Wildcats were within 34-32.

Lowry - the former sixth-man spark plug - converted a three-point play that finally gave the Wildcats the lead, 39-37. Dunks by Lowry and Will Sheridan capped a stunning and dominating 21-3 run that turned this one around for good.

"We knew when they came back it would be with a vengeance and we weren't ready for it," Hawks coach Phil Martelli said.

The scrappy Hawks did get a 16-point deficit down to 10 with 1:36 left after Abdulai Jalloh's layup, but when the Villanova fans chanted "N-I-T" it was easy to realize that might be the best Martelli's team can do this season.

"We crumbled a little bit mentally more than anything else," Martelli said. "We've got to find out the reasons and work on them."

Villanova played without shooting guard Mike Nardi, who has tonsillitis. Nardi also was tested for mononucleosis.

Villanova won all four Big 5 games for its 17th series title and first since 2000-01, while the Hawks went 3-1.

Only three city series championships had been decided when both teams were unbeaten in the final game: The Hawks won in 1955-56 and 1979-80, and Temple defeated Saint Joseph's in 1987-88.

"It definitely wasn't a goal for us," Ray said. "We didn't sit back and say we wanted to win the Big 5 championship. It's just something that comes."

Sheridan finished with 10 rebounds and the Wildcats shot 68 percent in the second half.

Chet Stachitas scored 19 points for the Hawks, while Jalloh had 15 and Dwayne Lee 11. The Hawks shot 50 percent in the first half and 25 percent in the second.

Several former players from both teams who played in the first Big 5 game were honored, and so were other players and media members from the last 50 years.

What makes the Palestra so unique for Big 5 games is that the split loyalties always have at least half the building rocking, bringing out the best of the unquenchable spirit of each side's student section.

"That was an old-fashioned split the house like we all remember and that was a great way for the 50th anniversary to be played. It was cool," Villanova coach Jay Wright said.

Lee and Stachitas - the two seniors who were part of the Hawks' run to the NCAA regional final two years ago - each hit two 3-pointers to take the 34-22 halftime lead.

The series has become increasingly lopsided with Villanova winning seven of the last nine games against the Hawks.
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
thanks, but i've already read that in the rag of a paper, the Inquirer. I hate that paper. the daily news is not much better. what i do like about philly is that there are enough other local papers to get a better grasp of all the story lines.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
try Phillyburbs.comfor the local stuff. Its a 50/50 chance that its actually CORRECT, but you will get the info on whats going on outside the city.
By MDIVIVVY
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of traditions, isn't it sad that there are no more "marshmellow tossings" at the football games any more....
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
That's a good one. Perhaps all the Flame Fans can come out and toss marshmallows out at the baseball games this weekend.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I can remember the crowd getting a technical foul because of the TP tossing.

Of course, I can remember sledding down the Ravine on SAGA trays. Wow, I'm old. ...
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]