The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
They're man-bags
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
no no no....those "Normal" guys have European Carry-Alls
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
they know where you all live and aren't happy :D
By Monster 35
Registration Days Posts
There is a lot of misinformation here about Masonry. First of all, it is not a cult. It is not a religion and it has very little to do with religion. The only question I was asked that might be construed as religious was if I believe in God. You must believe in God to be a Mason. I'm wondering if anyone here could define the word "cult" for me.

The Masonic Lodge is steeped in tradition and honor. We do not bow and worship to the East or the West or any other direction. We simply recognize the importance of rituals, dating back from the very foundations of the Lodge, that keep us grounded in our mission. Those we call "Master", "Warden" and "Worshipful" are just men elected to serve an honorable post for a period of time. It is very nice that these men take these proceedings so seriously or else something of great historical significance might be lost.

The Masonic Lodge is the world's largest philanthropic organization. Nothing else comes close. We donate tens of billions of dollars every year to charity. We donated a billion alone to the Katrina relief effort. You won't hear about that on the evening news. But our main focus is the continued funding of children's hospitals and retirement homes, the users of which are required to pay nothing for the services. No other organization of Earth does that.

The Masonic Lodge is a secret society, that is true, but the secrets we keep, at least on the local level, are based in passwords, rituals and rites of passage. I'm certain that within the high ranking officials of the Lodge there are grander secrets held by men who wield an enormous amount of global influence and for me that's OK. If they are anything like the people I've met locally or on the State level then they are certainly honorable, God fearing, country loving men.

I've been Mason for a couple of years now and I see nothing but good coming out of it at the local level and that's where most of the action is.

If anyone here has any questions I would do my best to answer any I can.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
oh awesome.

I thought the children's hospitals were the shriners. But seriously, do you get any kind of secret social benefits from being a Mason? Like if a cop stops you and you give im a secret handshake, he being a mason as well, he'll let you go. Or your master (higher up) has enough influence to get you that promotion you've wanted? Surely this is not SOLEY a charitable organization.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
he'd tell you but then he'd have to kill you.

ok, ok I'm sorry, Monster.

sort of :lol:

(don't have me rolled out)
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Monster 35 wrote:The only question I was asked that might be construed as religious was if I believe in God. You must believe in God to be a Mason.
Which god? My God? Or will any old god do?
Monster 35 wrote:I'm wondering if anyone here could define the word "cult" for me.
Cult: n.; (1) a system of religious beliefs and rituals, (2) adherents of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices

However, I think that "cult" is being used in this thread in the more common sense rather than the strict definition sense. The more common sense being that of the brainwashing, occult flirting "give us your life and money now" variety of cult.
By Monster 35
Registration Days Posts
Fantastic. We're going to get into a little here. I like this stuff.

For LUConn. I haven't received or know of any special benefits for being a Mason. I don't throw around any special handshake looking for favors. I don't have a Masonic license plate. I would assume that if I interviewed for a job with a Mason that being a Mason would help me a bit. Just like you interviewing with another Liberty grad would help you.

The Shriners are the face of the children's hospitals, but you have to be a Mason to be a Shriner. The Masons financially support the Shriner's activities.

For PA Medic. Excellent dictionary definition of "cult". It's exactly what I was hoping for, and you know why I was hoping for it. I understand that the word has been bent and misconstrued so as to be applied to any kind of religion or religious practice that Christians, and sometimes solely Baptists, don't happen to agree with. The fact is that Christianity is, by definition, a cult. It's just a really big, widely accepted cult. And not a cult that I have any problem with.

As I said earlier, Masonry is not a religion. It's a social club/secret society/philanthropy. And probably another 100 things working for the social good. Now, can you tell me the difference between your God and my God. Though we may see Him, or rather imagine Him, in a different light I would bet you that they are the same guy. I would think that all gods of a single god religion are, in concept, the same guy. Some people just worship and believe differently. Some of those actually do harm and are incredibly misled by their earthly prophets and leaders be they historical or present day.

If one religion sees a single God as the creator of all and we see our God as the creator of all aren't we talking about the same thing regardless of by what name we call Him? We just honor, or dishonor, Him in different ways. Many great things, and many horrendous things, have been done in the name of religion and the name of God be it Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian.

I think that the Masons are looking for a confession that a perspective candidate recognize a power greater than himself. And I happen to think that it is a good and effective qualifier.

Now I'm ready for your Fundimentalists to pounce.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
hmmm, I had no idea about that with the shriners and the masons. I thought they were completely different things.

But you said you know secret passwords and rituals. If you dont' get any cool benefits like free sodas or something what's the password for? To get into the building? Or is that a secret too?
By Monster 35
Registration Days Posts
No, I don't get any perks for passwords. They are simply used so that you may indentify a Mason from a person who is not a Mason. Much like fraternal passwords, though also being a member of a frat I can tell you that the Masons take their passwords a little more seriously.
By preacherchris
Registration Days Posts
both sides of my family have had a number of masons. i have done some study on the matter. any chain bookstore will order any official masonic books as long as you have a book title and author. some masons are offended if they are asked to compare the teachings of the masons-shriners with the bible. i upset some in this manner. they told some lies about me. i was in a prison witnessing to a muslim and he asks me if i knew that the masons used the koran and it surprized him that i knew this and also that they do use viewpoints from more than one religion. if one never goes beyound the local lodge they don't get into the more relious aspects of the lodge.
By D Edcil
Registration Days Posts
Monster 35 wrote:Fantastic. We're going to get into a little here. I like this stuff.

For LUConn. I haven't received or know of any special benefits for being a Mason. I don't throw around any special handshake looking for favors. I don't have a Masonic license plate. I would assume that if I interviewed for a job with a Mason that being a Mason would help me a bit. Just like you interviewing with another Liberty grad would help you.

The Shriners are the face of the children's hospitals, but you have to be a Mason to be a Shriner. The Masons financially support the Shriner's activities.

For PA Medic. Excellent dictionary definition of "cult". It's exactly what I was hoping for, and you know why I was hoping for it. I understand that the word has been bent and misconstrued so as to be applied to any kind of religion or religious practice that Christians, and sometimes solely Baptists, don't happen to agree with. The fact is that Christianity is, by definition, a cult. It's just a really big, widely accepted cult. And not a cult that I have any problem with.

As I said earlier, Masonry is not a religion. It's a social club/secret society/philanthropy. And probably another 100 things working for the social good. Now, can you tell me the difference between your God and my God. Though we may see Him, or rather imagine Him, in a different light I would bet you that they are the same guy. I would think that all gods of a single god religion are, in concept, the same guy. Some people just worship and believe differently. Some of those actually do harm and are incredibly misled by their earthly prophets and leaders be they historical or present day.

If one religion sees a single God as the creator of all and we see our God as the creator of all aren't we talking about the same thing regardless of by what name we call Him? We just honor, or dishonor, Him in different ways. Many great things, and many horrendous things, have been done in the name of religion and the name of God be it Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian.

I think that the Masons are looking for a confession that a perspective candidate recognize a power greater than himself. And I happen to think that it is a good and effective qualifier.

Now I'm ready for your Fundimentalists to pounce.
WHere do I join? Sounds like a great experience
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Monster 35 wrote:Now I'm ready for your Fundimentalists to pounce.
No, it's really not worth the argument. The idea is very childish and not well thought-out at all. But, hey, it sounds nice. So do lamb fries, until you find out what they are.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Some people just worship and believe differently.
This is where it went awry.
By Monster 35
Registration Days Posts
This is where it went awry?

I think God made us individuals for a reason. If He wanted us all to be and do exactly the same then He would have made us that way. I believe that our individuality means very much to Him. Just as the differing ways in which your better friends express their friendship. You value each difference in it's own way.
No, it's really not worth the argument. The idea is very childish and not well thought-out at all. But, hey, it sounds nice. So do lamb fries, until you find out what they are.
What exactly is childish and not thought out? Don't care for mutton. Thanks anyway. I hope you aren't referring to the Masons as not being well thought out. I would say that any group that has lasted as long, if not longer, than the Christian Church has been well thought out. I can't imagine you would disagree.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Monster 35 wrote: I would say that any group that has lasted as long, if not longer, than the Christian Church has been well thought out. I can't imagine you would disagree.
I'm sorry. I didn't know the Christian Church was over?
By re masons
the masonic lodges did not come into existance until the 17th century. it has had many interesting men in it. i realized no one man can speak for what masonry believes. check out www.mastermason.com/lodge850/Readingpikemystic1.htm
By Monster 35
Registration Days Posts
The Christian Church is not over, and neither are the Masons.

Our guest was right. The first lodges did not form until around the 17th century. I was speaking more of the lineage which dates back much further with the Templars. At any rate, the brotherhood and it's predecessors are centuries old. It's hardly haphazard.
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
Well, I know a few mid-ranking Masons very well who take the position VERY seriously. They've told me a few things of interest.They just seem to be very community and social minded. Good folks, so I guess I don't really have a problem with the group .... of course i have to say that becuase they are holding my cat hostage.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I have been looking for a civic group....
By AZjonz
Registration Days Posts
Are you a wife-swapper? The things I hear.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I've been to a few Masonic-rite funerals (my wife's grandfather was a pretty high level Mason, and he didn't tell us any secrets;) ). First one I went to I was expecting all kinds of weird stuff, from what I'd been told by people who had been to them. I was disappointed -- it was actually a pretty standard, almost dry funeral rite.

From what I've seen, the local Masonic lodge isn't capable of taking over the breakfast counter at Bob Evans, much less taking over the world. Of course, that's probably what they want you to think .... 8)
If He wanted us all to be and do exactly the same then He would have made us that way. I believe that our individuality means very much to Him.
I think that individuals are called to believe the Truth as set forth in Scripture, not as they see it themselves. I'm reminded of the differences between the "broad way" that many find and the "narrow way" that few find, and where each of those paths lead, so I have a huge problem with this statement.
By Old School
Registration Days Posts
Monster is right in everything he said. I was an active Mason and found them to be very civic minded and supported the Shriners hospital for crippled children. My father was a Shriner and that was how I got involved. I've heard all the rumors and they are pretty entertaining. The one thing I did have a problem with was the exclusion of blacks in the lodge. It didn't and still doesn't make any sense to me. However, even tho I'm not a practicing Mason...I do have a lot of respect for what they do and I never saw them as a religious cult.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
1. Why did you get out?

2. Now that you did, are you in the Witness Protection Program?

:D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My dad and brother are both Masons.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]