The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I'm thinking of becoming a Freemason. They have cool license plates they can get. Anyone know where I can sign up or who I need to kill to join? I'm good at keeping secrets.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Who robs cavefish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We dooo. We dooo.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
LUConn I am ashamed to say that I recognize that Simpsons reference! Funny stuff! :lol:
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Dig the reference LUconn!

Freemasons are a catholic spin off arent they? Or am I thinking Knights of Columbus?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You are thinking of KofC. Masons get the most recent exposure in the movie 'National Treasure' which wa basically a commercial for the secret society. Not many people of our generation know or care much about the Masons. But they were powerful the generation before ours.

Interesting Story: My 80-year-old great-great grandfather was living at a fish camp in Ohio with his 79-year-old best friend just after WWII. As cranky old men are known to do, they got in an argument. But this one got out of hand and the 79-year-old got out an axe and cracked open my g-g grandfather's skull. Despite a preponderance of evidence in a very high-profile trial (just think he'd that would be given coverage these days) the 79-year-old got an acquittal. My family has always said it was because he was a Mason and the judges and both lawyers were Masons as well.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
so your saying this is advantagous. hmmmm. My grandmother is in the Eastern Star. Those are the wives of some organization. I forget which one. So do those free mason licencse plates get them out of tickets? Does anybody know what these guys do for real?
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Your right sly. National Treasure was a pretty good movie. I know that in some rural communities, the free masons are still a very tight knit group. I doubt that they have much business clout anymore with the anti-collusion rules and all, but it would be interesting to know what goes on in there. It is not a social club like the Eagles, VFW or Elks (cheap booze for everyone)?
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
the free mason factions in north carolina are split by race which is a joke. only recently has the leader of the white group tried to unite the groups, but it comes down to a vote which has not passed. the masons are a mighty secretive group.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So does anybody know what they do or how to become one?

Surely they're not protecting treasures all day.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:So does anybody know what they do or how to become one?

Surely they're not protecting treasures all day.
You have to be invited by a current member, I believe.

They're like a fraternity with some occult-like practices. They use a lot of Christian terminology and symbolism, but also borrow heavily from Islam and the occult. Their "trinity" is Satan, God (The Great Architect) and God's Son. They spend a great deal of time in their rituals mixing the symbols of the aforementioned religions, worshipping The Great Master to the East, bowing to things, etc. It's kind of creepy and not at all something I'd want to get involved in.

Also of note is that most of the temple rituals and symbols used by the Mormons are borrowed from the Masons and their lodge rituals.
Last edited by El Scorcho on February 3rd, 2006, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So it sounds like a religion. Well moreso a cult I guess. I thought it was a club with social benefits like the skull and bones.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It has some Skull & Bones similarities (Elitism & alleged abuse of power), but it certainly doesn't mesh well with Christianity (although I know someone well beg to differ). I would steer clear.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Anyone seen the movie "The Skulls"? I loved that movie. We tried to start our version on the Skulls at LU but ut didn't work.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
That's pretty sad. A friend of mine took a tour of their big temple up in Philadelphia and almost got in trouble because he got left behind from the tour group. He thought for a minute that he was a goner. (is that how you spell that?)
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Anybody wanna start up a secret organization or something with the group we currently have on the board?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I actually have a few aquaintences in the Masons. It is technically a fraternal organization; one of their organizational purposes is to promote local non-profits and charities. They actually donate to certain rescue squads and fire departments, etc, as well as hospitals etc .

they still maintain serious business ties in the local communities, though they are forbidden to speak publicly of what they do. Admission by INVITE only.

also, the "grand" lodge in Philly was- I believe- the first one established in the country, even prior to the US being founded in 1776.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
You're all wrong! According to Hamas, yes that hamas:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=48677

For instance, Americans might be shocked to learn that Hamas believes the Rotary and Lions Clubs are "secret societies" that are part of the international Zionist conspiracy.

"For a long time, the enemies have been planning, skillfully and with precision, for the achievement of what they have attained," states Article 22 of the charter. "They took into consideration the causes affecting the current of events. They strived to amass great and substantive material wealth which they devoted to the realization of their dream. With their money, they took control of the world media, news agencies, the press, publishing houses, broadcasting stations, and others. With their money they stirred revolutions in various parts of the world with the purpose of achieving their interests and reaping the fruit therein. They were behind the French Revolution, the Communist revolution and most of the revolutions we heard and hear about, here and there. With their money they formed secret societies, such as Freemasons, Rotary Clubs, the Lions and others in different parts of the world for the purpose of sabotaging societies and achieving Zionist interests. With their money they were able to control imperialistic countries and instigate them to colonize many countries in order to enable them to exploit their resources and spread corruption there."

The section goes on to suggest the Zionists were also behind World War I, the League of Nations, World War II and the United Nations.

"All these organizations, whether secret or open, work in the interest of Zionism and according to its instructions," the charter states. "They aim at undermining societies, destroying values, corrupting consciences, deteriorating character and annihilating Islam. It [Zionism] is behind the drug trade and alcoholism in all its kinds so as to facilitate its control and expansion."
So this is what all of those clubs do. The Rotary club was behind WW2.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I am so very sorry. We appreciate you bringing that to our attention, I'm sure the necessary action will be taken- immediately.
By Thelaxman
I don't know about all of this talk. Both my Father and my Grandfather belonged to the Glen Burnie Blue Lodge outside of Baltimore. My Grandfather was in it big time. But seemed to be more interested in the Shriners then the Masons. You have to be a Mason to be a Shriner.

Pop, would work the Shrine Circus when it would come to Baltimore and did a lot of charity functions to raise money for the Shriner Children's Hospitals. It was more or less a social thing for my Grandparents as far as the Shriners. They also would go to Shriner Conventions every year. But every now and then Pop went to the Mason Lodge and was involved in what was going on there.

My Dad later in life was not as much involved. He became a Christian and started getting more involved in the Church. My Family just about begged me to join the Masons. The big thing is you have to have the desire to join. If you don't then they really don't want you. Once my family understood that I did not want to join they left me alone about it. But it was something I just did not feel I needed. It is hard to say if they are a good or bad organization this is due to all the secrets. To me when it comes to an organization of any kind you should not need to be so secretive.

When it comes to the Gospel there is no secrets and we are commanded to spread the word.

Just my take on it all. I don't think we need to get so worked up about it. As a Christian I value my membership to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes the organization I was saved through then I would value membership to the Masons.

Thelaxman
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Lax... my family is from Glen Burnie...
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
I read something a while back- testimony from a man who rose in the ranks of the masons.
The doctrinal conflicts came abt. gradually as he got in deeper and deeper. I think "Power for
Living"- a Sun. school paper- is where I read it. Sounded cultish.
By Thelaxman
Well TallyW:

I grew up in Ferndale, Glen Burnie and South Baltimore up on Hanover Street in Brooklyn. We moved to Westminster right before I started High School. I played Lacrosse and Football for Westminster High School and played one year of College Lacrosse for Catonsville Community College. Several Guys from my Team at Catonsville went on to play Division 1 Lacrosse in the NCAA.

Westminster was a big change from Northern Anne Arundel County and South Baltimore. On Friday Night the whole town goes to the High School Football Stadium. I played in several games with close to 7000 to 8000 folks in the stands. My Senior Year we played for the Maryland State Championship in Class AA in Football and lost to Friendly High School in Prince Georges County. I liked Football but Lacrosse was always my love. I gradurated Westminster High in 1982. The area has really built up but there was a time that Carrol County was 80% Farmland.

All the best,

Thelaxman

http://www.geocities.com/libertylacross ... /coach.htm
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
LUconn will like this one: a certain medic selling out to the "dark side". Actually, just getting a donation from the "Worshipful Master" and the "Senior Warden". I think. I'm actually a little confused on who was who at this point, it was a few years ago.

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Anybody wanna start up a secret organization or something with the group we currently have on the board?
we already have one it's called the members of FlameFans.com although the secret is getting out, I dont know who told

is it true they will hold a gun to your head in order to get in???

PA as far as that pic goes....the first thing that comes to mind is.....those guys on the right look normal :roll: :lol:

but that pic doesnt compare to the ones you just saw
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
are those guys wearing giant fanny packs?
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: