The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was wondering how many on this board were in attendance when Liberty played its first ever football game at City Stadium years ago. I was at that first game. cannot recall the opponent, but I recall they came from behind in 4th quarter to beat LU (Lynchburg baptist College). I recall Dr. Falwell running up and down sidelines more than the coaches.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I was wondering how many on this board were in attendance when Liberty played its first ever football game at City Stadium years ago. I was at that first game. cannot recall the opponent, but I recall they came from behind in 4th quarter to beat LU (Lynchburg baptist College). I recall Dr. Falwell running up and down sidelines more than the coaches.
According to the Football guide, our very first opponent was Massanutten Military Academy and we lost 42-32.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Most of us weren't even BORN yet.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Most of us weren't even BORN yet.
You probably drove there is you Corvair!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
What YEAR was that??? I probably wasn't even an Eagle Scout yet.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:What YEAR was that??? I probably wasn't even an Eagle Scout yet.
I think you were still in Brownies!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Up until I got married, I was holding onto a Lynchburg Baptist College sweatshirt (in Olive w/creme letters and school crest). I'm guessing my dad had it during those days- maybe he attended the game, as he was pretty faithful for the football games. My earliest recollection of LBC football was in '75- and I remember watching LBC play basketball at Jefferson Forest back in the day, as well. I was just a child then, but does that make me as old as I feel that it does? I think my wife tossed the sweatshirt, as she has done with all the other articles of clothing that I held in great esteem.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I played in the first game. We were behind pretty big at halftime and came back big. Not sure if we ever took the lead, but it was a good game, we never gave up. Pretty good crowd, green and gold uni's. Wish I could say we had a lot of good players, but we did have a lot of heart. We went 3-3 the first year. All above, subject to a waning memory.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:According to the Football guide, our very first opponent was Massanutten Military Academy and we lost 42-32.
Does that mean that we lost to a college or a high school team?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Technically a postgrad football team (which MMA actually shut down eventually...they have a postgrad basketball team as of a couple years ago)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Just like Hargrave. Postgrad teams really arent college teams, but they arent high school teams either so its hard to really define them any other way
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I sorta wish we still had Green and Gold uni's. note to Athletic Marketing which is now a Sub Division of University Marketing: these would make EXCELLENT throw back uni's.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I sorta wish we still had Green and Gold uni's...these would make EXCELLENT throw back uni's.
Agree 100%. This recommendation might be worthy of a BJ pm to the right people. :typing
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Whoa. They're a subdivision of University Marketing now? When did that happen?
It's a long and sordid story.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple's right. I dont know the backstory on it, I just know that KK has an office over there now. (Course I dont work over there anymore as of last Friday so I couldnt tell you much anyway)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
SuperJon wrote:Whoa. They're a subdivision of University Marketing now? When did that happen?
Not really...apparently the chancellor (maybe he or Mr Kennedy can weigh in here) wanted to unite all the marketing efforts and figured athletics marketing (including licensing which is discussed in another thread) could be improved being under one roof so they moved Athletics Marketing under the overall Marketing department.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Not really...apparently the chancellor (maybe he or Mr Kennedy can weigh in here) wanted to unite all the marketing efforts and figured athletics marketing (including licensing which is discussed in another thread) could be improved being under one roof so they moved Athletics Marketing under the overall Marketing department.
:brownbag Read my response to this on the other thread. :brownbag

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.