The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Pretty interesting:
There are some things in this world that will never be forgotten, this week’s 40th anniversary of the moon landing for one. But Moore’s Law and our ever-increasing quest for simpler, smaller, faster and better widgets and thingamabobs will always ensure that some of the technology we grew up with will not be passed down the line to the next generation of geeks.

That is, of course, unless we tell them all about the good old days of modems and typewriters, slide rules and encyclopedias …

Audio-Visual Entertainment
Inserting a VHS tape into a VCR to watch a movie or to record something.
Super-8 movies and cine film of all kinds.
Playing music on an audio tape using a personal stereo. See what happens when you give a Walkman to todays teenager.
The number of TV channels being a single digit. I remember it being a massive event when Britain got its fourth channel.
Standard-definition, CRT TVs filling up half your living room.
Rotary dial televisions with no remote control. You know, the ones where the kids were the remote control.
High-speed dubbing.
8-track cartridges.
Vinyl records. Even today’s DJs are going laptop or CD.
Betamax tapes.
MiniDisc.
Laserdisc: the LP of DVD.
Scanning the radio dial and hearing static between stations. (Digital tuners + HD radio bork this concept.)
Shortwave radio.
3-D movies meaning red-and-green glasses.
Watching TV when the networks say you should. Tivo and Sky+ are slowing killing this one.
That there was a time before ‘reality TV.’
More here: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/07/10 ... 1&mbid=yhp
i'm pretty muc familiar with everything on there other than 20, 22, 26, 27, 47, 48, 49, 89 (what the heck are they talking about?)

78 is a lost art these days. Wish I could do it.

interestingly enough, i still use DOS a ton for work
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Liberty4Life wrote:We could have some fun with this...

Things Our Kids Will Never Know About Liberty...

"What? We were once Division I-AA?"
"What's a polo shirt, and why would I wear it to class?"

"Man, I love the fourth floor of DeMoss, such history to this place..."

"The ROT? Why would you eat in something called the ROT?"
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ToTheLeft wrote: "What's a polo shirt, and why would I wear it to class?"

"Man, I love the fourth floor of DeMoss, such history to this place..."
These could also be asked by the old hags on the forum.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
^^^^ good point

never occurred to me. Sometimes I still forget he's gone. :oops:

he's just part of the institution
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Whats sad is this years graduating class is the last to have sat under Jerry Sr as Chancellor
Sad was sitting on field at Williams Stadium, in cap and gown, just days after he passed.

TRBC that Sunday was the hardest for me, though.
That was one of the toughest graduations ever...I still get misty eyed walking by the picture in DeMoss. I remember a good friend of mine walking in and shouting to the entire computer lab about him being in the hospital
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
When my parents first bought a VCR it had a remote with a really long cord that plugged into the VCR. It's the only remote I've ever seen like that.
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:When my parents first bought a VCR it had a remote with a really long cord that plugged into the VCR. It's the only remote I've ever seen like that.
when I was a kid I was the remote control, even though we had an actual cordless remote control
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Ravine.
Guardshack.
City Stadium.

End of story.
You forgot one--the old gym (before it was the multi-purpose center or the Schilling Center).
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Whats sad is this years graduating class is the last to have sat under Jerry Sr as Chancellor
Sad was sitting on field at Williams Stadium, in cap and gown, just days after he passed.

TRBC that Sunday was the hardest for me, though.
Yeah, that was sad being on the FieldTurf for graduation back in 2007. Didn't go to church at TRBC that Sunday, but it was definitely weird to be happy/sad for two very different reasons at the same time.
LUconn wrote:When my parents first bought a VCR it had a remote with a really long cord that plugged into the VCR. It's the only remote I've ever seen like that.
did the tapes load in the top?

we bought ours and one day a while after that we were playing with the box the vcra came in and we were like what is this? i plugged it in and we were like holy crap, its from the future....i was like 10.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
SCAR's dunk against ETSU. Play Basketball
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
camcorders connected to the VCR backpack....I barely know what it is just b/c I found it in the garage and played with it when I was a kid
Golly:
LEADED Gasoline
Carburators
Reel To Reel Tape
Auto Song Search on Cassete Decks (Cool feature)
"Authorized" Ticket Outlets where you had to wait in line for tix.
Non Break Away Rims
AMC Cars
The Clapper
Pong
Merry Go Round/Silvermans (Clothing Stores)
Quadrophonic sound

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.