The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Is it me or does the Schilling look a lot like Cameron Indoor?
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
Wow, thanks for the memories. He was one great player. So much fun to watch.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Who was that skinny guy running around in a #20 jersey?

Bailey was a baller and remains the best to ever wear LU gear IMHO.
Last edited by Sly Fox on July 1st, 2009, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By scuzdriver
Registration Days Posts
Nice video. Thanks for the memories!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Who was that skinny guy running around in a #20 jersey?

Bailey was a baller and remains the best to ever wear LU gear IMHO.
It was me. I was screaming "PASS THE BALL" :lol:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Who was that skinny guy running around in a #20 jersey?
I believe he has his own U-Tube video. Something about scoring two points on a steal against some team from the eastern part of Tennessee. Oh, and he had a really cool haircut back then, too. :wink:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We actually do get to see Bailey drop a couple of rare dimes in those clips SCAR. Great job Dom, and thanks for the work on that. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how it is that Bailey never got a real shot at the NBA. There is no doubt that players with less game have had careers in the league.
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
I loved seeing the TP shower clip! What fun that was.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
That's the first time I actually saw the TP shower. I'm figuring out a way to do it next year, technical or not.
By dompennix
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:That's the first time I actually saw the TP shower. I'm figuring out a way to do it next year, technical or not.
That would be sick, we should definitly do that
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:That's the first time I actually saw the TP shower. I'm figuring out a way to do it next year, technical or not.
I'm with you if you do.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I don't think it would look as good since the Vines won't be as packed as the Schilling was.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I think you could work something out with athletics where every does it before the first game of the season or something, right before the teams come out so they have time to clean it up....it's not worth getting thrown out of the Vines IMO so I'd try to find a work around that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Coach Layer may take issue with that. :wink: It was definately a very cool tradition, but I'm not sure if it is worth spotting a team a couple of points. It is also an expense to the school. I was supervisor of the campus custodians during part of that era, and I can tell you that the roughly 2-3 cases of toilet paper stolen from the dorms to facilitate the "shower" for each home game were not free, and it was not appreciated by the administration.

Almost as cool as the shower itself was the cleanup afterward. By the time the conference put an end to it by making it a T, the cheerleaders and facilities crew had it coreographed to where they could clear the floor in about 30 seconds.
By dompennix
Registration Days Posts
I would say the best time to do it is when we play a D2 school but the crowd is always weak at those games
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A quick story related to the shower. After the Mason-Dixon conference decided to make it a technical foul, the first game we played was against Longwood, one of our 2 top rivals, along with Mt. St. Mary's. It was a packed house, and there was a sizable contingent from Longwood on hand. Great lengths were taken to prevent the entry of contraband TP, and numerous announcements were made about a T being called against the home team for any foreign object thrown on the floor. When LU scored their first bucket, in a scene which bordered on the surreal, a lone roll of toilet paper flew out from the midst of the LONGWOOD contingent. They were able to identify the person and evict him, but the technical was still called on us. Funny thing now, I can't even remember who won the game.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Coach Layer may take issue with that. :wink: It was definately a very cool tradition, but I'm not sure if it is worth spotting a team a couple of points. It is also an expense to the school. I was supervisor of the campus custodians during part of that era, and I can tell you that the roughly 2-3 cases of toilet paper stolen from the dorms to facilitate the "shower" for each home game were not free, and it was not appreciated by the administration.

Almost as cool as the shower itself was the cleanup afterward. By the time the conference put an end to it by making it a T, the cheerleaders and facilities crew had it coreographed to where they could clear the floor in about 30 seconds.
Yeah, it would be worked out with the program and likely against a DII school at the very beginning of the season. Also, it wouldn't be stolen toilet paper. We have money for the LUnatics to go towards things and I think we could spot some for it.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Yes the TP Showers were extraordinary. It was also a Philly tradition in the Big 5 City series. In those games we got to see it two times because the Palestra was home to all the teams except Temple and of course all the schools were from Philly so every fan got a chance to throw streamers and TP. Actually Streamers were supposed to be used but at LU our fans used TP. If we could find a way to recycle the TP that would be perfect! SJ you will have a lot of hurdles to climb to pull this one off. Especially since you don't have the element of surprise on your side. NCAA, Athletics, Liberty Admin, Big South etc will all try to prevent this....

Old Flame I remember how efficient the clean up got during that time too. There really wasn't that much of a delay.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
The punishment should be taking a TO away from the home team. I don't see the NCAA handing out techs for the wacky big wheel race that goes on during a time out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The reason the TP showers got a technical wasn't really about delaying the game. It was because it involved foreign objects thrown on the court during the course of play, which would theoretically be a safety hazard. Of course it wasn't, because everyone knew it was coming, and play stopped til the court was cleared, which took a while the first few times, but later on they were resuming play in no time.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Super, why not just reverse the tradition? Since you LUantics stand on the front row, why not do an about face and heave the TP high up into the nosebleed sections above you? It would provide the same effect without costing the team a technical. :idea:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Super, why not just reverse the tradition? Since you LUantics stand on the front row, why not do an about face and heave the TP high up into the nosebleed sections above you? It would provide the same effect without costing the team a technical. :idea:
Because the kids above us who have no clue what is going on would throw them on the court. The only way this gets done is if the staff approves it and the only way that happens is against a DII or NAIA school.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:The reason the TP showers got a technical wasn't really about delaying the game. It was because it involved foreign objects thrown on the court during the course of play, which would theoretically be a safety hazard. Of course it wasn't, because everyone knew it was coming, and play stopped til the court was cleared, which took a while the first few times, but later on they were resuming play in no time.
This tradition went on for years in Philly and apparently in Lynchburg but the ultimate reason it was banned is like Oldflame said above. People in Syracuse started throwing Oranges, St Johns started throwing Apples and so forth. That got ugly quickly and the NCAA stepped in during our season and outlawed it throughout the entire country. I would say that if this did happen in Lynchburg during games, it would make national news and bring a lot of attention back on the program and that tradition.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.