The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By dompennix
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:
olldflame wrote:The reason the TP showers got a technical wasn't really about delaying the game. It was because it involved foreign objects thrown on the court during the course of play, which would theoretically be a safety hazard. Of course it wasn't, because everyone knew it was coming, and play stopped til the court was cleared, which took a while the first few times, but later on they were resuming play in no time.
This tradition went on for years in Philly and apparently in Lynchburg but the ultimate reason it was banned is like Oldflame said above. People in Syracuse started throwing Oranges, St Johns started throwing Apples and so forth. That got ugly quickly and the NCAA stepped in during our season and outlawed it throughout the entire country. I would say that if this did happen in Lynchburg during games, it would make national news and bring a lot of attention back on the program and that tradition.
Then lets do it!
By scuzdriver
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:A quick story related to the shower. After the Mason-Dixon conference decided to make it a technical foul, the first game we played was against Longwood, one of our 2 top rivals, along with Mt. St. Mary's. It was a packed house, and there was a sizable contingent from Longwood on hand. Great lengths were taken to prevent the entry of contraband TP, and numerous announcements were made about a T being called against the home team for any foreign object thrown on the floor. When LU scored their first bucket, in a scene which bordered on the surreal, a lone roll of toilet paper flew out from the midst of the LONGWOOD contingent. They were able to identify the person and evict him, but the technical was still called on us. Funny thing now, I can't even remember who won the game.
Oldflame, my friends and I were sitting right by that guy that threw the lone roll. He was warned before he did it, and lets say he paid a higher price than just getting kicked out of the arena. He was punished all the way down the bleachers. It was an awesome sight! Also Jerry was always up in the stands heaving the tp. The admin couldn't have said much about it then, when Dr J was a big part of it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It got to the point that whenever someone on our team would start to shoot what could be the first basket of the game, the other LU players on the court would begin duck and covering. And it became a source of entertainment to see how quickly Olldflame & Co. could clear the floor. Incidentally you knew to do your business before games because you knew the dorm stalls would be barren afterward on game nights.

The Mason-Dixon Conference Tourney that year was at Randy-Mac in Richmond and apparently that school hadn't heard about our little tradition. Because the large contingent of LU fans who made the roadie showered the court excessively in the 1st game of the tourney and there were no janitors or anyone with access to a broom on hand. Scar may remember the laughs turning to uncomfortable frustration as the wait to get the mess cleaned up stretched on and on and on. Even though that tourney didn't turn out the way anyone from Lynchburg wanted, it was one of my favorite memories of my life as a student.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
scuzdriver wrote:Jerry was always up in the stands heaving the tp. The admin couldn't have said much about it then, when Dr J was a big part of it.
Super, for your plan to work, I think we know who has to throw out the first roll.
By scuzdriver
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: Even though that tourney didn't turn out the way anyone from Lynchburg wanted, it was one of my favorite memories of my life as a student.
Funny thing Sly, after the tourney my buddy (who will remain nameless) was driving and the rest of us fell asleep. We woke up to see a Welcome to North Carolina sign. The idiot missed the Lynchburg exit and kept on driving for hours. Classic! Not only did he not want to stop and ask directions, but he was too embarrassed to wake anyone up and ask. Talk about an extended road trip!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
If you didn't have at least one of those extended road trips, you didn't go out on the road much. The worst one I had followed a drubbing at Youngston, in the rain. We came home on 64 and instead of hitting 60 and 501, the driver tooled on down to Blacksburg on 81.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
I for one remember those games with baily alston in the Schilling with TP. (i also remember when they banned it and the lone roll incident from the Longwood game) i was like 5 or 6 then and i'd be WAY ON BOARD for helping to bring that tradition back!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
matshark wrote:I for one remember those games with baily alston in the Schilling with TP. (i also remember when they banned it and the lone roll incident from the Longwood game) i was like 5 or 6 then and i'd be WAY ON BOARD for helping to bring that tradition back!
Can't, throwing things onto the court is banned by the NCAA and results in an automatic technical foul now.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
yes, Atrain. i remember when it was "banned." that being said, i think it would be worth the T and a great nod to traditions of the past. im in.
This year's men’s basketball?

I have no interest in a 6' 8 guard or a 7' forward[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.