The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I sent out an invitation to quite a few alumni from the old LBC days of the '70s and Early '80s. I know we already have quite a few alumni from that generation on here. But I think it will be great to have a perspective from some of the folks who were there when what we have today might've seemed unimaginable except for the vision of one man.

We are still a relatively young school at just 35 years old. We don't have the long history of some of the schools we associate with like VMI & JMU. But I think we can renew our capacity to dream big by hearing from some folks who have witnessed the amazing growth thus far firsthand.

Now keep in mind, not everybody posting here have the exact same viewpoints. But let's continue to do our best to remember why we are here.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Well I was there in 1972, after tranferring from BJU and was lucky to graduate with the founding class of 1975. At that time the largest major was Bible, as we didn't have too many other majors at that time, other then education, TV & Radio, etc.
All my classes were held at TRBC, so Liberty Mtn was a prayer and dream at that time for the student body and Jerry.
Needless to say I went back to Lynchburg for the first time in 30 years last year to go to the homecoming game. I could not get over LU on the mtn, the miracle God has provided and will continue to provide. I could not also get over the growth of Lynchburg. I lived in the trailer park by the airport the last two years of college. Trailer park is still there today. Before that I live in the red two story barn on Treasure Island. During my time on Treasure Island I rode the bus to TRBC. But before crossing over the bridge at TI, we had to get off the bus walk over to the other end of the bridge and the bus would pick us up. Same for coming back, we had to depart from the bus and cross the bridge on foot. Reason was the bridge had been weakened by previous floods and the city or state ruled no loaded buses could cross the bridge. So even during cold weather we had to walk over the bridge with the wind blowing.
Oh yes the good ole days!!
The spirit among the students during this time was unbelieveable, we had a small student body from all over the country. We had Jesus Freaks, along with very conservative students but yet we got along fine. One of the songs that was a main song sung by the students was " It only takes a spark to get a fire going, so pass it on." Something along that line best that I can remember.
We had no school cafeteria during my times at LBC, so we had to bag it or head out to eat for our lunch hours.
BTW I told my sister after the homecoming game, the coach would be gone after that season. I was watching the coach during the game to see what he was doing as I was trying to figure out what LU was trying to do on offense and defense. I think he was in a fog that day.
Anyway I will be at the homecoming game this year so look for someone sitting up at the top of the stadium wearing a cowboy type hat with a FSU banner around it. Feel free to come up and talk.
I am very proud to be a graduate of LBC and look foward to meeting the good people on here, either in person or thru the board.
Oh another thing back then the KJV was the main bible used on campus. Needless to say I like the KJV but not going to lose any friendship with anyone who don't like or use the KJV.
During one of the discussions we students had at TRBC over the KJV bible versus any other version was the question one student raised which I can hear today.
He said " Are you saying my salvation is any less then yours as I was saved reading the Good News for modern man." I was humbled at that time as I realized as a young man I didn't know as much as I thought I did.
I will get the answer to the KJV versus other version when I get to Heaven, until then as long as some gets saved, I don't care how they get saved as long as Jesus Christ is the saviour for him or her.
By backintheday
I posted a couple of times on the old board. I was at LBC from '76-'80 and my daughter is currently attending Liberty. Seeing the changes that have taken place gives me a real appreciation for the things that God can do. The day that my parents dropped me off in 1976 I was put in a room with 9 people in the old hotel downtown! They then moved some of us to the Econolodge for a couple of weeks before finally renting half of the Ramada Inn (then located off of rte 29 in downtown Lynchburg) as a guys dorm. You had to catch a bus or walk over a mile just to get to the old hotel where meals were served. Rickety old buses took us to classes at TRBC and an old condemned elementary school in Timberlake. Lots and lots of stories that I won't take space to write here. But despite all of that I made some great friends (maybe it was the shared suffering!) and had a great four years. By the time I graduated we had the first few buildings up on the current campus. I was one of those students that stood in the snow for the legendary prayer meeting on the mountain.

One thing about the sports. When we finally got our own gymnasium (now the Schilling center?) the noise at the basketball games was unbelievable. One year Liberty won the national christian college championship and a good friend of mine played for one of our opponents (King's College of NY) at a home playoff game. He said that their team was so tight and nervous because they had never played in an atmosphere like that. I was a fan, not a player, but I think that we were all just blowing off steam that was pent up from all of the rules back then. When I hear the students complain about the rules now, I just roll my eyes.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
welcome BITD, stick around- you'll like it here. Everything good from the old board and more...

the great thing about LU is seeing the second generation starting to really come in now. Something taken for granted at state u's that are 100+ years old, but such an amazing feat for a 35 yr old school.

amazing to see how far the school has come and exciting to see where its going!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Hearing these stories makes the complaints of some of our younger posters seem silly. Today's LU students are truly blessed whether they realize it or not.

4everfsu - preacherchris and I had a rather spirited discussion on the KJV debate back on the old alumni board that finally bit the dust last month. But it seems other than with IFBx folks, that debate has fairly well subsided.
By Guest
Sly, I agree with you, the current students at LBC have been blessed. Also thanks for letting me know that the KJV had been discussed before by LU alumnis and students.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm not opposed to reviving the discussion over in The Chapel. LU has taken quite a bit of heat from the KJVO over the years for not toeing the hardcore Fundamentalist line. But obviously both sides of the debate are welcome here at FlameFans.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm not gettin into a debate, just felt like pointing out the campus pastors recommend the NIV.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
If you want to start a discussion over on the chapel about the KJV and other versions, it would be interesting to see what comes about. My first year at BJU in 1971 I was considered the odd ball for carrying a KJV, I believe they embraced the RSV at that time. During my time at LBC, the KJV was the only version I know supported, at least I don't remember any other version being used in chapel or bible studies.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:If you want to start a discussion over on the chapel about the KJV and other versions, it would be interesting to see what comes about. My first year at BJU in 1971 I was considered the odd ball for carrying a KJV, I believe they embraced the RSV at that time. During my time at LBC, the KJV was the only version I know supported, at least I don't remember any other version being used in chapel or bible studies.
RSV was/is a "closer" Biblical translation then the KJV. They used "older" source documents and were/are lauded for the English language conversiton. KJV 1611, however, has a nice hold on the "old time" baptists. However, not a big fan of the NRSV or the NKJV. Must be the "N" LOL.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
OK, I'll start a KJV thread over in the Chapel. Let's let this thread focus on LBC alumni.
By bbrothers224
Registration Days Posts
Remember the chapel sessions in that big tent? And don't get caught sitting near one of those tent poles while it's raining. You would come out with that red clay /mud all over your clothes
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]