The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here's an update on a guy who played football for the Flames back in my day:
CARTER NAMES NEW COACHES

Head Coach Rubin Carter adds coaching staff

July 17, 2006

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida A&M's Head Football Coach Rubin Carter has announced hiring of wide receivers Coach Gary "Flea" Harrell, defensive backs coach Richard Shelton and defensive line coach Marcus Hoover, today at the Galimore / Powell Field House.

Shelton, who will work with the Rattler defensive backs, is four - year letter winner at Liberty University (1984-89), where he earned all-American honors his senior season. He was also the team's captain his junior and senior season.

A seasoned veteran of the NFL, Shelton played for the Denver Broncos (1989), Seattle Seahawks (1990) and the Pittsburgh Steelers (1991-95).

After seven seasons in NFL, Shelton became defensive backs coach at University Christian High School in Jacksonville, Fla. in 1997, a position, he held for three seasons before becoming the Southeast College Scout for the Philadelphia Eagles (2000-04).

"Richard Shelton will bring a wealth of knowledge about the techniques and awareness involved in playing in defensive back position which should help to develop a young and inexperience group. He will also assist with the development of our pro-prospect athletes to assume maximum performances with NFL testing guideline," said Carter.
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sto ... 06abe.html
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
Back in the day I took my then 10ish brother-in-law to the Steelers camp when Richard and Eric were on the team. I knew Richard only casually as I had been the RA in the football dorm, but on the floor above his a year or two before. As the team was congregating outside the locker room after practice, I guess Richard saw me and started yelling my name though I couldn't see him yet. He and Eric came over and we spent a good bit of time reminicing. He was a class act. As a huge Steeler fan, I'll never forget the Nestea plunge he did into the Browns endzone after running back an interception at Three Rivers. Brought the house down. He was in the NFL long enough to get the reitrement fund so I'm sure he's just doing what he likes these days.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Baldspot wrote: He was in the NFL long enough to get the reitrement fund so I'm sure he's just doing what he likes these days.
unlike Eric. :? hope that guy got things straightened out.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I heard, that he recently got his life back together, I am working on some stuff for football season and will be getting in touch with him soon...
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
Interesting i remember when i suggested and interview with him on radio, i was told it wouldn't be allowed on air because of his past. Id be curious to see how all plays out.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
well, basically it will be used for about 10-15 sec sound bit...
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
GMTM,

let me know when you get in touch with the big fella. It has been a while since we talked. He keeps up with Charles McCray who is in Lynchburg and I talk to Charles from time to time. This is for another thread but McCray's nephew Logan and his son Zach are two really good basketball players for Brookville. Logan's mom is Kim Thomas, former standout in LU Volleyball back in our day. Logan is about 6-6 and I think Zach is not that far behind him. Logan is a Soph and Zach will be a Frosh at Brookville. Don't worry, coach D is already on it.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Medic, Eric played 8 or 9 years in the league I think. He played 5 in Pittsburgh (maybe 4) and he spent time playing for the Jets for coach Parcells, Miami for Jimmy Johnson and in Baltimore with Brian Billick. Interesting thought I just came up with. Every one of his coaches are Super Bowl Champs. Unfortunately they all did it without Eric.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
good to see richard doing well. it would be really nice to honor our former football standouts and have like a hall of fame day and really get something going to honor the past of liberty football.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Hijack. SCAR is right about #86 being about 10 yrs in the league.
And I truly hope he is squared away- the guy had amazing talent.

Stats courtesy of http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... eeEr00.htm

Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: