The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By 4everfsu1
When did this happen? In the early days of LBC, 72- 75 the student body voted on only two mascots, Flames and Lions( as in the Lions of the tribe of Judah). I voted for Lions and the rest is history.

Also our school colors at that time was the same colors of University of South Florida, Green and Gold. They stayed that until 1976 for the bicentinnial when they were changed to red, white and blue
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This ia very good question. I always just assumed it was part of the 'I Love America' campaign when we changed from Lynchburg Baptist College to Liberty Baptist College.

For the record, having Baylor's colors today would be interesting. Its hard for me to picture LU in anything but the patriotic scheme since it has always been that way in my awareness of the school. But I could see how that would've been cool.

BTW its good to see some more old school folks on here to join FLAMESHAW and several others. I'm doing my best to reach out to the LBC generation. Bienvenidos, 4everfsu1.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
It actualy was voted on by the students because it best represented "Liberty" where as the flame nickname was used to represent our motto "knowledge aflame". There used to be an article somwhere on LU's website before libertyflames.com existed that explained the origin of all that stuff. I'm not sure which site it would be archived on. That sounds like a Medic project.
By Guest
Thanks for that info, I would like to see that info if someone can find it. One thing I would like to know then why are we called Flames with an Eagle mascot. Should we not be known as the Eagles?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
:D

This has been a popular topic on both this board and the old Firehouse. Suffice it to say there is a difference of opinion. Consider me strongly in the Flames camp and I don't have much affinity for the Eagle at all.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I can remember joking with a few fellow band geeks at one point about how it would be fitting to change the mascot to a guy in an asbestos suit with a bunsen burner on his head or something like that. He would be the Liberty Flame.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote::D

This has been a popular topic on both this board and the old Firehouse. Suffice it to say there is a difference of opinion. Consider me strongly in the Flames camp and I don't have much affinity for the Eagle at all.

I hate the flames and like the eagle.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I could live with the Eagles, of course I think Lions would have been better from the start.
Of course the way the football season went last year you could say the season went up in Flames :D
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
As I've said many times and posted many pictures to accompany it, there are many teams in the world who have a nickname that doesnt match the mascot. Most of the time it's because the nickname isn't feasable as a mascot. A flame would be too difficult to put in mascot form. 2 of the best examples are UIC Flames (Dragon Mascot) Calgary Flames (some weird looking wolf mascot) Some places go with no mascot when the nickname cant be mascotted. St. John Red Storm don't have one that I know of. Stanford Cardinal don't have one. (the tree is part of the band, it's not really their mascot). So anyway, it's perfectly normal to have a mascot not match the nickname. I think ours makes more sense since it represents Liberty perfect.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I understand what you are saying. But I see where it can be confusing to visiting teams and non LU followers to see an Eagle Mascot at a game and the teams is announced as the Flames. Just my 2 cents worth.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
When I first got here I was told that a flame was a flock of eagles but that's not true. That's the excuse most people use actually.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Same reason the University of North Carolina Tarheels have a ram as their mascot? I've always just assumed it was like that, which is like LUconn said. Never thought you had to have a mascot that matches up with the team's nickname.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:When I first got here I was told that a flame was a flock of eagles but that's not true. That's the excuse most people use actually.
It's funny because I've heard that too. Or a flame is a type of eagle. But it's not either. And the former is even more stupid because Eagles don't travel together. Who has ever seen a flock of eagles flying around. They only get together for 2 reasons.

1. To get freaky
2. A good old fashioned Eagle fight!

By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I would say reason #1 is the main reason, but I will leave that up to the rest of yall to decide
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
the REAL reason a group of eagles gets together. (groans all around)

By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
I remember when we changed from LBC to LU there was talk about changing the name from Flames to Eagles. I believe we even voted on it. I am happy to say that we are NOT known as the Eagles. We would join the ranks of the other 14 million teams called the Eagles! Flames is unique. I don't think we capitalize on the uniqueness enough. Plus you have to build tradition. We have ALWAYS been the Flames. why change? It's all about branding and idenity.

As far as the Eagle goes - all I can think of is the logo with the Eagle holding the flaming torch in his talon. But I am pretty sure that logo came after we adopted the Eagle as a mascot. I would love to see us have a Flames mascot. What we could do is get PA Medic down from Philly, throw a little fuel on him, and light the match. Talk about being unique!

Go Flames.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think we keep the Flames in the background because of it's homosexual undertones. But fire can be pretty cool. So you can capitalize on it.

I found this online and tried to put it on the Tshirt but it's a lot more complicated than you might think.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
From what Terry F told me, the green & gold color scheme was never intended to be permanent. We only used those colors at the time because Jerry was a Packers fan. Of course, that came from Terry so...
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for that info, still those colors back then (green and gold) I think are more beautiful then what we have now. Anyway another thing I have seen is the VA LU license plates with the LU and its eagle and the word flames. Now if I didn't know anything about the school and I saw that plate I would be scratching my head. Ok I will not try and beat this question to death.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:Thanks for that info, still those colors back then (green and gold) I think are more beautiful then what we have now. Anyway another thing I have seen is the VA LU license plates with the LU and its eagle and the word flames. Now if I didn't know anything about the school and I saw that plate I would be scratching my head. Ok I will not try and beat this question to death.
"Flames" isn't on the license plate. Just "Liberty University" and an old-schoolish LU/Eagle logo.
By dabee
I worked at the college (late '70's) for the Athletic Department. The "good old days" with Coach Cartwright, Worthington, A.D. Gaylord Davis. I "believe" I remember a Liberty Bell represented on the football helmets. All relative to the Bicentennial celebration. :?: Can I get a witness?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for dropping by the board, dabee. Why don't you go ahead and register and stick around. We need more of us "old hags" on here to keep these young pups in check.

I'm curious if there is any photgraphic evidence of these Liberty Bell helmets.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
That is my sister, dabee. Nice to see you made it
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
The story in Jerry' autobiography was that Jerry went with the "green and gold" scheme because of Notre Dame. The oft quoted LIberty will one day be the Notre Dame of evangelical schools. For the record, Being called the flame and having an eagle macot doen't exactly take a medical degree to comprehend. If you go to BS school discusion boards I don't think it ever gets raised by our rivals from other schools. One great story....MASN brought their people in to do a TV broadcast of an LU game last year. Before the telecast the announcer asked an LU student why they were called the flames. the student gave the anouncer the "flame is a flock of eagles" line. He used the reference repeatedly in the course of the broadcast as a fact.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I remember that. Luckily, this year's freshmen will know the difference. And the fight song. And all of the normal cheers.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]