The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Here's an interesting story from the San Antonio fishwrap on Kevin's life today in Vegas and his feelings about LU:
Kevin Max's drive brings him to S.A. concert

Web Posted: 07/13/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Tim Adams
Special to the Express-News

"I don't just want to be that guy on the radio."

That isn't exactly what you'd expect to hear from a guy who is one-third of one of the most successful Christian bands of all time, having sold nearly 10 million albums.

But Kevin Max isn't your typical Contemporary Christian Music type. Just as he did with band mates Toby Mac and Michael Tate of DC Talk, Max is still pushing the envelope.

Speaking by phone last week from his new home in Las Vegas, he was taking a short break from his current tour in support of his most recent release, October's "The Imposter." He'll be in San Antonio today for a book-signing and concert.

"I don't think it's really that big of a stretch to go from Lynchburg to Las Vegas," he said when asked about his recent move to Sin City. "Both cities have their issues, if you know what I mean."

Max attended Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., a school known for its staunch conservatism and strict codes of conduct and dress, in the mid-1980s.

"While I understand the intent of places like Liberty, which is to help students focus on their Christian faith, too often they only end up making people lose focus on what matters by dwelling on cultural absolutes rather than the big picture."

"But going to Liberty was definitely an important steppingstone in my own journey. That's where I hooked up with Toby and Michael. We're three very different individuals, and it's almost strange that we got together, but Liberty was where it started."

Asked about his plans beyond the current tour, Max was philosophical yet pragmatic.

"The thing that really made DC Talk successful was that we were driven," he said. "We were the band that would take any gig that came along. That was a great time in my life."

"I still have that same passion and drive, but this is a brand-new chapter in my life, and I love it just as much. I'm a family man now (Max and his wife have a 9-month-old daughter), but I'm continuing my passion for creating art."

That drive was evident as Max revealed he already is working on ideas for his next project.

"'The Imposter' has a very radio-friendly feel to it, and that was intentional," he said. "But this next project will be more about redefining who I am as an artist, but not necessarily trying to write the record that all the radio stations love."
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainme ... 33218.html
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
it is good to see max doing well. he was always the odd one of the group. but im not so sure he kinda dissed LU a bit in this article?? what do ya think?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It was a bit of a minor dig. But he followed it up by admitting how important LU was to where he is today.

And let's face it, any of us who knew Kevin at all in school know how he felt about aspects of the Liberty Way. But we in school for a purpose and clearly he has stuck to it since leaving. Considering the obvious temptations he has had to turn his back on his Christian roots, that should be applauded.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
I agree with Sly. Kevin was a little strange in school but we can't argue with what he has done since. Kudos.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]