The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Top Stryper Song

To Hell with the Devil
69%
Honestly
6%
Shining Star
No votes
0%
In God We Trust
6%
Always there for You
13%
Soldiers under Command
6%
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Is it bad I have no idea who these guys are? I thought they were a fish
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Is it me or do all the song titles remind you of:

By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:Is it me or do all the song titles remind you of:

Just you!
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
Even though this is my lease favorite, here is the Stryper song most folks know. I've heard it at several weddings.
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
hahahaha...stryper!!! they are actually the first christian rock band i had ever heard of when i was like 7 or 8....good times
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:hahahaha...stryper!!! they are actually the first christian rock band i had ever heard of when i was like 7 or 8....good times
I was about that age when I first started hearing about them. They were on Mtv and actually had a few top videos. My brother almost got to go to one of their concerts. He was telling my dad that they were a christian band, and his friend wanted to take him. When my dad did some research he laughed and said, No way!

I saw an interview with Scott Ian from Anthrax where he discusses a time when Stryper opened for them. It is REALLY funny! Check it out:

By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Stryper was my gateway drug into Christian "metal." Petra was my gateway drug into Christian rock. Before them, I was strictly country/gospel - :o
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
These guys actually were rather progressive musically in their genre. And frankly they put on some of the most entertaining concerts I've ever attended. One of my best friends was saved at a Stryper show in Greensboro then came to Liberty.

I am torn on my son selection. So many of them are a blast. I broke out "To Hell" for my son the other day and he loved it. I'm going to listen to them all again before I vote.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
One of my favorite songs was "Free" by Stryper. I remember watching it on Mtv!

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Free and Winter Wonderland were the first two songs that jumped out to me not on the list.
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Free and Winter Wonderland were the first two songs that jumped out to me not on the list.
Free was there and when I submitted it disappeared. You are on your own with Winter Wonderland.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Winter Wonderland is one of the few Stryper songs I still have. I had cassettes :oldhag but no CDs back then, so not much of my collection has survived.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Rooster Cogburn wrote:What album was Winter Wonderland on?
It wasn't.

there was a compilation christmas album floating around that may have included it, but as far as I know that was released as a single
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
I went looking for this song, and this is all I could find. Wow, Medic is this your video?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Rooster Cogburn wrote:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
The bass player looks like he wandered on stage by accident. He was probably looking for the jewelry salesman convention next door.
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
Rooster Cogburn wrote:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
The bass player looks like he wandered on stage by accident. He was probably looking for the jewelry salesman convention next door.
One of these things does not belong . . .
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I always thought Tim Gaines looked like a cokehead.

not saying he was...
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I've got Winter Wonderland as an MP3 from Stryper's last Live album, if anyone's interested ... (I've got Steve Taylor's version, too).

First Stryper album (and yes, I mean wax, 33 1/3 RPM album :oldhag ) I ever listened to was Soldiers Under Command. Checked it out of the public library (also where I learned to appreciate Petra, Steve Taylor, and Michael W. Smith). I left it sitting on my front seat in the sun and it warped, so I ended up buying the thing; friend of mine managed to fix it for me.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm moving this thread to the Old Folks Home as well.

Incidentally I voted for "Always There" after much consideration over "To Hell". Now I'm already having regrets. I loved that album with a passion. "Always There for You" was Top 5 on Dial MTV for months & months.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Michael Sweet's wife, Kyle Rae, just died from cancer.

http://www.michaelsweet.com/News/Press% ... leases.htm
(NASHVILLE, Tennessee) – Kyle Rae Sweet has passed on and is now at peace with her Savior, our Lord Jesus Christ. Please continue to pray for the Sweet family. We ask that if you wish to express your sympathies within an e-mail that you send them to the following e-mail address: thesweetfamily@michaelsweet.com.

Kyle was diagnosed with cancer in February 2007. She passed away at 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, March 5, 2009.

Kyle's life was dedicated to caring for her husband and home-schooling their two children. Her heart's desire was for their children to attend college. To best honor Kyle's work as a home-school mom there has been a fund set up called The Sweet Children's College Fund.

In lieu of flowers, donations to this fund can be made payable and mailed to:

Sweet Children's College Fund
Sovereign Bank
50 Cohasset Avenue
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532

A private funeral service will be held in the coming days.

Michael Sweet is a well-known musician and vocalist, best known as the co-founder and frontman of the band Stryper. Sweet is also a guitarist and vocalist for BOSTON.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sorry to hear of her passing.

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.