The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Keep telling yourself whatever is necessary to get you through the day, my man.

And welcome to the board, Shirley. I'm glad you dound us. While you are here, why not go ahead and regsiter and then help me enlighten some of these youngsters in how easy they have it now.

:)
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Is Shirley Juwanna's sister??
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
AgVball wrote:*Teacher I thought was cool - can't remember his name - but the Art teacher - with the funky hair.
-- My roomate my sophomore year idolized him -- even ended up wearing his hair like him. He was a bando, too -- I want to say he was a fellow clarinet player.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Now Art Prof is one teacher that is hard to forget. I really enjoyed the trip to Washington DC as well. We were not suppossed to leave the museum but how could you not? There is so much more to see down there on Constitution Ave. The bus ride home was crazy too to say the least.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
I remember he commented that his wife could make doilies (lace)...a skill that many women don't have now.
I quoted him one time abt. hangers- how things should be hung so shoulders stayed right in garment; I think he had hanger collection; my ex-husband threatened to find my college degree and destroy it simply b/c I mentioned a professor-pretty sad, but that's not just another thread, it's a book!
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Thanks to Medic on another thread for trying to tell me how to quote- needs work.
I enjoyed the trip to DC w/ Loven's class but didn't get adventurous like Scar. I remember the strangest exhibit was sticks thrown on the floor in the basement. I got postcards of the seasons of life (but don't like to think abt. it now); also one of little girl in blue dress w/ watering can- one of my closest friends has that pic. on her daughter's wall.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I am far from an Art aficionado but the Seasons of Life is my favorite. All 4 paintings depict stages of life from cradle to grave on a journey through waters. Thomas Cole is the artist I believe.
By AgVball
Registration Days
I registered - I'm official now ;)

Yes - the Art Prof! I probably wouldn't have taken "art" if it wasn't for him - but I really did enjoy it. I wasn't very adventurous on the trip.

Hmm - I wonder if students still try to go to the 'screaming statue' and other "scarey" stuff around there? Just this past winter, down at A&M, I had to fend off some crazy stories that someone heard about Liberty "girls/boys have to walk on separate sidewalks", etc. She nearly swallowed her tongue when I said I actually went to Liberty ;) hahahahah.

I have no idea what the rules are now. I think I did here where they can where pants or jeans to class - something like that. I figured there would be more "progress" after I left.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
OK, Shirley. What's with this Aggy business? You seem far too intelligent to have any tie to Collie Station.

But its great to have another Texan formally on the board.
By AgVball
Registration Days
:lol:

My husband is an Aggie - so I'm an Aggie by marriage. I'm very competitive and love sports - so A&M gave me someone to root for (we got to ALL of the games - even from Dallas - we have 5 season tickets). We still watch LU on the ticker tape. I even watched LU Vball when they played SMU a couple of years ago. Plus - I am a big fan of A&M's vball program - #4 recruiting class this year!

A couple of years ago we flew out for the A&M / VaTech football game and we stopped by the LU Campus. It didn't seem very exciting - it would have been nice to walk around with another former student from my time - thinking about all the crazy stuff we did.

My husband grew up in Houston - you're a saint for putting up with that Humidity - have you had the 100+ temps like us? I can't get over the string of triple digits lately!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm a Longhorn by marriage. I also spent six years covering the Horns on a daily basis before moving to Houston.

As for the Aggies, I feel sorry for you having to put up with aTm football the past 5-6 years. Its sad the Aggys have fallen behind Tech and are now pretty much dead even with Baylor in the football landscape. Fran isn't the answer and all my Longhorn friends hope they keep him around for a long time.

And yes, the humidity down here is bad. But we rarely if ever reach triple digits. Its generally hotter in the Metroplex in the summer than here in Houston ... but it is stickier here.

And if you haven't been on campus in the 3-4 years, you wouldn't believe all of the new development.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
AgVball wrote:
We still watch LU on the ticker tape. I even watched LU Vball when they played SMU a couple of years ago.
you may have noticed our ladies BBall playing in the sweet 16. A couple people watched that across the country :mrgreen:

we were evidently in the same class, so I'm one of your fellow old hags that exp quite a shock when I visited the mountain last year- for the first time since 1990.

welcome aboard! (and we'll overlook the TX thing :D )
By AgVball
Registration Days
yeah - i'm not a fran fan - and I wasn't on his bandwagon when he was signed. Oh well - tu took several Macs to get it right - hopefully the Ags will figure out before we hit the grave. I know - sad to be down below TTech. i won't even go to out to Lubbock for games - its worse than going to Austin. The fans (read that - the students) are just amazing (and not in a good way). At least Austin is a beautiful city - I wouldn't mind moving down there.

I know - I was so excited to see the Lady Flames in the sweet 16. I always remembered us getting to the tournament - and then having to play the #1 seed. I just saw an article the other day on the big girl (can't think of her name off hand) who went to the WNBA - sounds like she's a little more comfortable this year. I also root for the Mountaineers too (since I'm from WV) - so I'm always rooting for someone ;)

oh - and speaking of the LU campus - did they intend to leave Demoss pretty much half decorated/furnished? I thought it could be a really beautiful building inside - but it seems like they just spent enough money to decorate the front entry and that was it. I couldn't get over the buildings across the way up in the hills - I think there was a hotel over there.

PAMedic - just the other year I was up in Pittsburg (for yet another football game)...it was really beautiful - much better than I had expected. Gotta love the Heinz Catsup bottles at Heinz field whenever a team gets in the "red zone" ;) I don't think I've ever been to Philly - although i've driven all through those eastern states. I'm getting ready to head back to WV for a visit (and also heading over to OH) - looking forward to the Mountains - it is SOoooooo flat down here.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
AgVball wrote:
I know - I was so excited to see the Lady Flames in the sweet 16. I always remembered us getting to the tournament - and then having to play the #1 seed. I just saw an article the other day on the big girl (can't think of her name off hand) who went to the WNBA - sounds like she's a little more comfortable this year.
that would be our own Katie Feenstra
AgVball wrote: PAMedic - just the other year I was up in Pittsburg (for yet another football game)... I don't think I've ever been to Philly - although i've driven all through those eastern states.
if you had, you would remember. :lol: very scenic
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
shirley, you don't have to take sly's fran bashing....he's too far gone in the tu sip culture. Shirley, enjoy the Ags ride this year, it WILL be special. Hey, Sly, do you need any more sandbags down there yet?
By AgVball
Registration Days
Look at you with the 12th Man towel! ;)

Nah - I can dish it and take it - I try to clean as I can ;)

Did anyone know Kara Kelly - otherwise known as "Oprah" - she was a COMM major and my roomy (Scar - did you know her?) She's working at tu in the school of business career center - and I still speak to her! :o
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
PastorZack wrote:shirley, you don't have to take sly's fran bashing....he's too far gone in the tu sip culture. Shirley, enjoy the Ags ride this year, it WILL be special. Hey, Sly, do you need any more sandbags down there yet?
Bwah ha ha! Keep dreaming, Zack. I covered Stephen McGee in high school (classmate of LU vballer Rachel Denton at Burnet) and I think he'll do as well as possible with that mess of a coaching staff they have in Aggyland. But beating Baylor will be a challenge for Franphony.

And to be honest, we haven't gotten anywhere near as much rain as your dad has over in Silsbee. But Tuesday isupposed to be a gullywasher so it will probably flood around town.

And everybody who has been on the board for any period of time knows how much I sing the praises of Austin. I loved living there and I suspect I may head back there at some point. I'll be over there for a family reunion next week.

As for Kara, she must've been a few years behind me. I don't remember her. But several other COMS students from late '80s are in Austin ... Randy Ahrens & Sherri Brown-Ahrens. In fact, Randy used to do weather on KTVT-11 back a few years ago. He sold his house in Plano and moved down to Central Texas.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Shirley, I don't think I knew Cara Kelly. She sounds like a sista and I thought I knew all of the black folks at Liberty but she must have slipped through the cracks :wink: Sly, of course I remember Randy Ahrens. I used to have a tape of him interviewing me my senior year but one of my roommates "accidentally" taped over it. Maybe because I used to play it for background music (KIDDING). I was not a COMS major (though I should have been) but I did know a few folks from that area. Liberty was not that big back then so it seemed like I knew just about everyone.
By LU Facility Crew
Registration Days Posts
Howdy! I didn't know there were some A&M connections on the board. My wife and I just moved from Aggieland having taught at the University for the last three years. Our offices were in G. Rollie White, which I'm sure AgVball would appreciate. A lot of very interesting dynamics in that athletic department...and on the campus.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'll do my best to overlook your Aggie years. I admit I've spent more than my share in the Holler House on the Brazos before they opened Reed Arena. I witnessed a bunch of bad basketball over the years.

Glad to see you escaped the clutches of Collie Station where high culture is Wings & More and the Dixie Chicken. Whoops!
By LU Facility Crew
Registration Days Posts
Yes, the Chicken (and Northgate in general) sums up the general B/CS culture. That's why we'd pack up the mini-van and head to the Woodlands...especially after they opened up a P.F. Chang's and Cheesecake Factory right next to each other at the Woodlands Mall.

The basketball in Aggieland was not much improved since the Holler House days until the Gillispie era began two years ago. Funny how Billy has taken Melvin's (who until recently coached with "the Wiz" a.k.a. Jeff Meyer - talk about my worlds colliding) talent and accomplished so much. The Brazos Valley is still waiting for Fran to start earning his $2M/year (lost to BU in '04; OT w/BU in '05; worst loss in school history: 77-0 at OU; and worst loss in bowl history against the real UT (Vols in Cotton Bowl). Of course, there is nothing like scheduling the Citadel, Army, ULa-La, and LaTech to help build a Big XII team's confidence (I guess the new $35M fieldhouse has not paid the dividends expected...maybe the new indoor facility will help). If the schedule is not bad enough, fans are expected to shell out $53 per seat for 3 of those games (Army $40/seat in Alamodome). Byrne has done "wonders" in running that Ath Dept (he is a good reason why you do not hire AD's from rival, in-conference schools - the $5M athletics budget hole from '05-'06 notwithstanding).

Before we took positions at A&M my wife and I really did not understand all of the Aggie jokes, but we have come away believers...in ALL of them. However, we did have a lot of great students, and we still do not care too much for t-sips.
By AgVball
Registration Days
LUFC - Yeah - G.Rollie is quite the sweat box (upstairs) during the summer (like for camps) - but its nice to have the facility just for vball now - Reed would be too big. Northgate is too crowded for me (read that - I'm getting old) I like stopping at Chicken Oil for a greasy burger - I even had my wedding rehearsal dinner there a few years back ;) Lots of new restaurants have opened up along University since they upgraded the road. Boy - talk to me about fball and bball tickets - at least BillyG is giving you something for your money - but even those tickets are increasing by the minute. The women's tickets are always a good bargain. Gary Blair really works hard trying to get people just to come out and be a part of the program. BillyG works hard too (or so it sounds) - there's a reason why he's single ;) I'm ready for vball season (in general) to start.
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
Andrew Tickle

'80 - '86 Christian Thought: Philosophy
'86 - '89 working and worked on a MA in Apologetics (didn't finish)

Where did I dwell during my LU days
Dorm 3 '80 - '83
LBC Singers '83 - '84 (a now defunct full-time travelling music team - took a year off from class work to do this.)
with my wife in 5 different apartments '84 - '89

Home town - Gibsonville, NC (east of Greensboro and west of Burlington)
married the lovely Lois Starr from Western NY (Sounds of Liberty gal).
By ishy
Registration Days Posts
Howdy all!

Michelle Vetter
1996-1999 (I transferred from UGA)
Missions major (yeah, that small group of Religion majors that always dressed funny)
I lived in 29 my first year, and off-campus the other years. Some of you may have partied at our house on Memorial Ave.

Original webguru of the Spiritual Life Dept. I also was in the band 460 West, and played bass in churches all over Lynchburg.

I did not meet my mate at Liberty, thank you. :roll:

After LU, I went to Southeastern, where I studied more to be a missionary, then didn't get accepted because of my health.

Currently I run a ministry for female geeks, and I write Christian young adult fiction (still trying to finish the first one).
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]