The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you spent time behind the mic at WLBU back in the day, we want to hear from you. Let's try and compile a list of those who worked there and where they are now.

For the record, I was there briefly in the Late '80s hosting the Morning Barnyard and Powersports Rap along with various and sundry other tasks.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I was there from 87-89. Served briefly as promotions director, did the news my spring of my freshman year ('87).
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
What's WLBU?

Seriously. I've never heard of it.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Libertine wrote:What's WLBU?

The OLD campus radio/TV station.

AM 550, WLBU. Distributed daily via the electrical system in the dorms. VERY hi-tech.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Well seeing that you made the vist back in March to see the new studio's, what was it like back in the day seeing that I was 3 when you where there.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Libertine wrote:What's WLBU?

If you have to ask, its probably not something to worry about.

As mentioned before, WLBU was the student radio station back in the day. It eventually became WWMC 90.9 The Light which remains in the same studios. We've reminisced a little about the station on The Firehouse. But since so many people made their way through the little station operating at 55 on your AM dial I thought I'd open up the topic here.

There was a short time that the student television station also operated under the same call letters.

Incidentally, the call letters were selected prior to the schools name change from Liberty Baptist College to Liberty University. Apparently whoever filled out the FCC application assumed we would be keeping Baptist in our school name after gaining the university status. Obviously it didn't work out that way.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully my roommate named Jackie will see this thread. I can't remember last name w/out looking in yr.bk. and have trepidation abt. putting too much info. She was petite girl from Florida.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
She was the first station manager for the student TV station. You've dated yourself with that connection.
By Chedlojr
Registration Days
I started at WLBU when it was AM 550 and 89.9FM. I had a Soul Gospel show on Sunday Mornings. I also was the Traffic Director my last year(91-92). I am not sure if we know each other but I started in 89-92. I am glad to see this forum. Looking forward to your response.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
good to see yet another "old hag" on the board- welcome!

I'm sure SLY remembers you.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I finished up in January 1989 so I probably just missed you. But welcome to the board nonetheless.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
DJ, sports, and news there 87-89 before moving over to TV. Both AM WLBU and FM 89.9
Was the PSA Director for a while as well. Worked for some time under the name Kevin Carlson.
Ran the board for the infamous Late Night show before they imploded. Anyone remember the "Funky Cold Medina" Incident?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We've had multiple discussions on the whole Chris-Frank-Mike saga on this board. You must've started on WLBU about the time I was leaving it behind. But again, we have plenty of mutual friends from that era. I never was in the WLBU-TV outfit since I was already working over at WJPR on Old Forest Road by the time that was up & running.
By bbrothers224
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:We've had multiple discussions on the whole Chris-Frank-Mike saga on this board. You must've started on WLBU about the time I was leaving it behind. But again, we have plenty of mutual friends from that era. I never was in the WLBU-TV outfit since I was already working over at WJPR on Old Forest Road by the time that was up & running.
What was the Chris-Frank-Mike saga? I was a Broadcasting Major (Radio Production) , but I didn't care for the tripe that was played
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There was a bit of a scandal with some extremely over the top content in the Late '80s. I'll leave it at that and let others fill in the details. Although if you utilize the 'Search' function near the top of this page you could probably get much of the details.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
The show was major over-the top humor for LU at the time. I ran the board for their tapings for a while. When I heard of the plans for this show I quit the week before. They did a show set in a bar with ALL KINDS of sexual inuendo and such with the song "funky Cold Medina" in the background. They were not seen or heard from after that.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I think I was the first announcer for the schools communication network. I remember those cold mornings walking to the middle of the bridge on the island, megaphoane in hand, shouting out the announcements for the day. Our call letters were WTIC to signify Treasure Island Communications Network.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
:lol:

Actually I always found it humorous that when we applied for the low power license for the student station back in the Early '80s, whoever requested the call letters thought we would be moving from Liberty Baptist College to Liberty Baptist University (hence the WLBU).
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
More funny was that it didn't even reach all the dorms back then. I'd tell folks to listen, and they couldn't get us.
By Sturm1310
Registration Days
I was there 90-94, and now work on the radio in Dallas. We did a sports talk show where we held a phone next to the microphone so that the caller could hear our words. We really didn't have much equipment, but the chance to do a talk show was very helpful.

Also, just found this message board.

Good times.

Bob
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
welcome aboard STURM

good to have another (relatively) :oldhag on board
Last edited by PAmedic on June 18th, 2007, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
.. and another Texan (albeit from the Metroplex).
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sturm1310 wrote:I was there 90-94, and now work on the radio in Dallas.
oh yeah- where's this "DAALLLIS" you speak of?

never heard of it.

is it near Harrisburg?

8)
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
As most of you probably well know, Sturm was the original host of the now-inaudible Sportsline back before it was a show about Rich and Larry's kids.

Miss you, Sturmy.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Sturm1310 wrote:I was there 90-94, and now work on the radio in Dallas. We did a sports talk show where we held a phone next to the microphone so that the caller could hear our words. We really didn't have much equipment, but the chance to do a talk show was very helpful.

Also, just found this message board.

Good times.

Bob
Wow! Great to hear from you Sturminator! Catch you on the web from time to time. I echo Libertine, we miss you. Rich the gymnast is getting hard on the ears. Talk some sports for Pete's sake.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]