The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Great to hear from you Bob. Hope you'll keep checking in from time to time. I just found this forum myself a few months ago and I'm really enjoying it. Back in the day when Liberty athletics was considered worthy of airtime on the Sportsline I called in pretty regularly (same psuedonym I use here).
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Bob Sturm. Now there is a name from the past. And another witness to my hoops prowess as well as my superior coaching skills in the mid 90's 8) :lol: :P Welcome about..I mean aboard (that was for your typo, Medic).
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
good catch! :shock:

I'm horrified to see I'm actually human, after all.
By Sturm1310
Registration Days
SCAR wrote:Bob Sturm. Now there is a name from the past. And another witness to my hoops prowess as well as my superior coaching skills in the mid 90's 8) :lol: :P Welcome about..I mean aboard (that was for your typo, Medic).
Ah, the good ol days. I count the 1994 NCAA Tournament Experience among the highlights of my sports life. We had UNC on the run!

So what is this Television Network that covers LU games? Certainly not on Directv I assume? And while we are at it, where has Dunton ended up after all of this?

As Scar will tell you, I was always a Meyer guy, so I wasn't a fan of how things went down, but I remain curious how things are going in the program from afar...

Bob
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Sturm, glad to have you here on the board...It's Larry's little brother-n-law....When can we expect to see back here on campus? BTW The campus radio station is totally different now, you got to get up here sometime and see it!!!!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Sturm1310 wrote:
SCAR wrote:Bob Sturm. Now there is a name from the past. And another witness to my hoops prowess as well as my superior coaching skills in the mid 90's 8) :lol: :P Welcome about..I mean aboard (that was for your typo, Medic).
Ah, the good ol days. I count the 1994 NCAA Tournament Experience among the highlights of my sports life. We had UNC on the run!

So what is this Television Network that covers LU games? Certainly not on Directv I assume? And while we are at it, where has Dunton ended up after all of this?

As Scar will tell you, I was always a Meyer guy, so I wasn't a fan of how things went down, but I remain curious how things are going in the program from afar...

Bob

The Liberty Channel broadcasts the games and I believe now WDRL a former UPN affiliate in Lynchburg that Liberty is in the process of purchasing. The production of the telecasts is called the Flames Television Network and Ray Jones is the primary play by play guy with me as the Men's basketball color and Jamie Hall as the women's color guy. They also do Volleyball and as you might have recently heard, Football. You need to get up to Lynchburg for our flamefans.com tailgate. Best in the schools history of tailgating! (Ok, that history of tailgating is only 1 year but it was a great year).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here in Texas, the only way you can pick up the telecasts in online unless you have that SkyAngel setup. The video streams have actually improved dramatically since they started a few years back.

And all you have to do is invest a little time in perusing the mens hoops forum to get up to speed on all the drama.
And if you really ddig deep you'll find plenty of Meyer-Dunton discussion. but most fo us are now fixed on Coach McKay and what he has working for us now.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Who remembers songs being scratched out on records by Bev Buffington?
By scuzdriver
Registration Days Posts
Hi all! I just discovered this board! I was at WLBU from around 85-87. I did afternoons and Sunday mornings. "I'm Ron and you're not!"
By spc0506
Registration Days Posts
I got all of you beat. I was there the day the station went on the air .... well it wasn't really on the air. It was connected to a few dorms and the old hotel by cable. I used to joke that the station had all the transmitting power of a 60 watt lightbuld. I was called on the carpet many times by Bev Buffington and Dr. Windsor. Yes, I once "accidentally" played a song that was lined out by Bev. I don't know how that little piece of tape fell off the cut, I swear. I almost got fired from the station for playing "stubborn Love" by Kathy Troccoli. Very, very tame song by today' standards. Still it was a great experience and I have run into some of the old guard over the years:

Robyn Legget ...aka Robyn James ... is a longtime morning show host at a Lynchburg station
Greg Shaw is now a youth pastor in New England (after a LONG stint with Transworld radio)
Pencil Boone is the GM of a station in New England
Jay Madas is the program director of a station in St. Louis
Ray Jones and Mike Tilley call Football for LU TV
Dan Bathurst works for LBN in Lynchburg
Brian Barnhart is the voice of the Illini at the University of IL and the former voice of the California Angels
Rocky Erickson has won a bunch of awards as a top sportscaster in MN
Sheri Brown freelances with ESPN and other outlets ... I believe she's in Texas
Don Doebler is still in Lynchburg, but I'm not sure what he's doing now

That's just a few that I know of. I would love to hear what some of the others are up to. Those were some of the funniest people I ever met in my life! Good times and my best college memories centered around that station and the "WKRP" type staff!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sheri celebrated a birthday this weekend and is married to fellow WLBU alum Randy Ahrens and yes they live in Austin. Another WLBU alum registered this past week and I'll let him introduce himself. I just talked to Rowdy Joe this weekend and he is in New Orleans for the Arena Bowl. There are so many WLBU alumni on here or connected to the board it is ridiculous.
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
I heard that Dana Robert works with the NFL broadcasts. As I understand it he is part of the crew that generates the "1st down line" on the screen. I have wondered what happened to the very first management group of the old WLBU. Chuck Jones, Dave Temple, and Phyllis Hall. I haven't heard anything about them in years.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The next wave including Kevin Van Buren and Scott McCall landed in radio in Upstate NY for awhile. I haven't checked on them in years.
By Champion
Registration Days Posts
I remember Kevin was kind of a quiet guy. Was surprised at the time that he was in radio, but as I recall he opened up a bit throughout the year. If I remember Scott correctly, wasn't he the guy who came to school and already had a ton of radio experience. If I am remembering correctly he was only there one year, but dazzled us completely. I am not sure if I am thinking of the right guy. Maybe I'm thinking of Scott Tinsley.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Tinsley is correct.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]