The gathering place for LU alumni to wax nostalgic about their glory days and tell current students how easy they have it. Old hags & bright-eyed and bushytailed recent grads both welcome.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We've discussed the former LU hoops coach and father of the Sport Mgt program before. But here is an update ...
Tusculum News Release wrote:November 10, 2008
Tusculum professor Dr. Dale Gibson joins board of Progress Avenue group

A Tusculum College professor has become the sole academic figure on the board of a new organization designed to “observe and monitor media sources - including print, online and television - and provide an archive of information about philanthropic, charity and community efforts in and using sports.”

Dr. Dale Gibson, professor of physical education and chair of the PE Department, was officially notified at the end of October of his placement as a member of the Board of Directors of Progress Avenue, an organization that Gibson describes as “concentrating on the positives of athletics and athletes.”

The mission of the organization harmonizes with Tusculum College’s own mission. Progress Avenue seeks “to inspire and motivate people, regardless of their connection to sports, to get involved in their own community, and to be a resource of information for individuals who are already involved in their own communities,” according to its web site.

Gibson said that America’s sports community has embraced Progress Avenue, with groups such as the National Football League involving themselves.

Prior to coming to Tusculum in 2004, Gibson was men’s basketball coach at Virginia’s Liberty University, formerly Lynchburg Baptist College. After leaving coaching, he served as a professor at Liberty, where he started the school’s Sport Management program.

As a coach, he served as the first assistant basketball coach at Liberty University beginning with the program’s launch in 1972. In 1978, he was named the school’s third-ever men’s basketball head coach. In his second season, he led Liberty’s Flames to a national championship in the National Christian College Athletic Association.
http://www2.tusculum.edu/news/?p=236
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Shows how up on things I am. I didn't know he had left LU.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I remember him from my time at LBC
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dale coached BB at LBC basically because there was noone else to do it, and he won what is still our only team national championship at any level in any sport. With the goal being to go to D1, he knew we needed a career coach, and he stepped down to be a full time PE prof and start the Sport Management program. That was when Jeff Meyer (who was only 26 years old at the time) was hired.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
I had him for the intro to sports management class, and coaching basketball class. Wasn't in my major, but several of my buddies that were in sports management had the class, so I took it. He was pretty critical at times of Meyers and Dunton. I loved his classes.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
As a Tenn. Temple student at the time, I attended his national championship victory in Chattanooga: Karl Hess shot the lights out against us.
By Rockthejungle
Registration Days Posts
I love Coach Gibson.I used to sit for hours in his office at LCA and talk Reds -Dodgers baseball.

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.