Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
How are you going to celebrate Easter?

Here's where you'll find my family Sunday morning:
April 14, 2006, 7:31AM
Together for Easter . . .
Celebrity singers. A 600-strong choir. More than 100 dancers. Two very different megachurches join to celebrate the resurrection.

By RICHARD VARA
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

It's not about the bunny.

That's what the Rev. Ed Young of Second Baptist Church tells a distraught Easter Rabbit during a 30-second TV commercial for the largest Easter service planned this weekend in Houston.

The large bunny — upset because Easter is taking on religious overtones — is seen defacing Young's picture on a billboard advertising Resurrection Day at Minute Maid Park.

Young and the Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist Church hope to fill the baseball stadium's 42,000 seats Sunday morning for an interracial, interdenominational worship service featuring Grammy-winning gospel singer CeCe Winans, country star Clay Walker and inspirational singer/preacher Wintley Phipps.

Young and Caldwell, the nationally known pastors of two of the city's biggest churches, will be joined by 600-plus voices from their combined choirs, a 50-piece orchestra and more than 100 energetic praise dancers.

''It will be something people will always remember, an experience like Woodstock," Darrell W. Johnson, director of instrumental music for Windsor Village, said of the day's musical impact. ''They will feel what we are doing."

Young, whose church has a membership roll of 42,000, describes the service as ''the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ as well as an outreach to the people of Houston to come to know Christ."

Such mega-assemblies are "the cultural direction for churches," said Lynn Mitchell, resident scholar of religion at the University of Houston. "It's a national trend."

Megachurches are producing meetings that attract seekers and young people who like both the anonymity and the spectacular productions, he said.

Although there are people who still prefer small churches with small communal worship, "people are more and more attracted to these big movements," Mitchell said.

"They don't want to go to anything that looks like a church, feels like a church," said Mitchell, who is pastor at Houston Heights Church of Christ. "They want it to be exciting, emotionally involving and they want the productions to be professional, which these megachurches can do."

Young, whose church has a membership roll of 42,000, most of them white, describes the service as "the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ as well as an outreach to the people of Houston to come to know Christ."

'History-making moment' ...
Members of both churches have been encouraged to invite not only family and friends but also those who don't attend either church or any church.

"If this were about Second Baptist and Windsor Village only, I wouldn't do it," said Caldwell, who pastors the largest United Methodist Church in the nation with more than 15,000 members, most of them black.

"This is about bringing men and women, boys and girls under one roof to celebrate the resurrection of our lord and savior Jesus Christ and then encouraging those persons who decide to develop a personal relationship with Jesus to go to the church of their choice," Caldwell said.

It will also be "a history-making moment," Caldwell said of the stadium gathering of the predominantly white and black megachurches. But the event transcends racial and denominational lines.

"We are excited because we have a venue for persons of all backgrounds to participate and celebrate and do so in a comfortable environment," Caldwell said.

In addition to an hourlong concert preceding the 10 a.m. service, both pastors will preach and then issue an altar call, an invitation to non-Christians to accept Christ.

"It is very evangelistic," said the Rev. Gary Moore, spokesman for Second Baptist. Staff members will follow up with any new Christians by contacting them and inviting them to attend church.

But can such an event work effectively as outreach?

Lakewood did it twice ...
Lakewood Church held two Easter services at Minute Maid before moving into the former Compaq Center. Spokesman Don Iloff said that it was difficult to determine if Lakewood's membership grew as a result. Both services attracted about 40,000 people, he said.

"It is hard to know what variables contributed to growth aside from (Pastor Joel Osteen)," Iloff said, noting that attendance boomed after Lakewood moved to the Compaq Center. "We added 10,000 people a week just from the move from our northeast Houston location to where we are now."

Weekly Lakewood attendance now averages between 35,000 and 40,000 over several services and the crowds are expected to dramatically increase on Easter, as they do at almost all churches nationwide. That's why Lakewood did not opt for a third Easter at the baseball park.

"Minute Maid won't hold all the people," Iloff said. "We can seat more people where we are."

Young said he was invited by Drayton McLane, owner of the Houston Astros and a Southern Baptist layman, to stage Easter at Minute Maid. Young then proposed a joint service to his longtime friend Caldwell.

They will share the preaching duties. Young will present the "forensic evidence" for the resurrection of Christ. "(The Apostle) Paul said if the resurrection is not true, then we are all fools," Young said.

Caldwell will follow with "the practical power of Jesus Christ, his willingness and ability to transform our lives."

One of the benefits of the joint service is the cross-racial, cross-town connection between the megachurches.

Second Baptist Music Minister Eddie Struble said planning the service with Windsor Village counterpart Kathy Taylor-Brown turned out to be a great deal of fun. They came up with several hymns and songs melding the exuberant gospel style of Windsor Village with the traditional and contemporary beats of Second Baptist.

"We tried to make sure there was something familiar to everyone on both sides of the congregation," Struble said.

Windsor choir and dance members rehearsed at Second's home west of Memorial Park, and Second Baptist's choir visited Windsor in southwest Houston. It was the first time most had visited each other's church.

"Normally when you meet someone for the first time, you are a little apprehensive," said Tonya Foreman, director of Windsor's praise dancers. "Everyone was loving and wonderful because we know we are going to do a mighty thing on Resurrection Sunday.

"There were no barriers, no cultural barrier, no racial barriers. We were all one church, all loving God."

richard.vara@chron.com
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I was afraid this was going to be about Texas' finest....Joel Olstein :roll: :roll: :roll:

Does anyone else think Joel Olstein looks like the little boy from the Legend of Bagger Vance?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Easy now on Joel. Yes he is only about 5' 5" tall ... but he's a preacher's kid with a television backrgound (he just sold his television station here in Houston recently). I resemble those remarks.

My wife & I took our kids to the first Lakewood service at the old Compaq Center a year ago. It was a blast. Lakewood has done their Easter Service at Minute Maid Park the past couple of years and LU-friendly Ed Young Sr. gets his turn tomorrow.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I beleive I watched Joel last Easter.....Larry King just killed my passion for Joel though
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i like joel osteen. he is very dynamic. i heard him speak at the RBC Center, and he packed the building, but more importantly he preached the truth in a down to earth perspective. as for easter i will be at the early service at TRBC, then enjoy lunch with my family....sly you plans sound great! enjoy.
By preacherchris
Registration Days Posts
i will be going to kirkland correctional as part of a team connected with rock of ages prison ministry to help with a church service. following tthe service we will do some witnessing in the cell blocks
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If there is ever a day when the cellmates might be receptive you would think it would be Easter. Godspeed, Chris.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm debating waking up early and going to the community sunrise service in shorts and a t-shirt, then taking a nap before dinner with the family, or sleeping in, dressing up, and going to normal service. Either way I'll get to hear my grandpa preach.
By preacherchris
Registration Days Posts
three of us went this morning one of the other men preached. 19 men made professions of faith.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I went to the sunrise service. It was pretty good. Then I came back and slept.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
TRBC was good, I still miss my boy Chuckie though, there is NOBODY in Christian music with a better voice....but we're not done trying to get him back.....

Big, you really let me down on Joel man! I'll never forget when he first hit it big and I asked JF if he was going to bring him in to speak, and he said he was already booked for a date about a year away......then Larry King struck
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
preacherchris wrote:three of us went this morning one of the other men preached. 19 men made professions of faith.
That's fantastic news, Chris.

The service here at the Juicebox will really powerful. The music was fantastic with CeCe Winans & Whitley Phipps and even Clay Walker (sans Cowboy Hat) was pretty solid singing hymns.

Ed Young was solid and the pastor from the other church was especially good (in a Dr. Tony Evans style).
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
HMO, tell me more about this larry king deal...im clueless as to what you are talking about. all i can go from are the times i have heard joel speak, and what i have read. he seems like a genuine man.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
For those enthralled with Joel Osteen, I thought you'd like to be comforted by words of wisdom from someone who's a real pillar of Christianity (or Islam, or Judaism or really whatever you'd like). Excerpts of Larry King and Joel Osteen on CNN’s Larry King Live which aired on June 20, 2005 during Joel's book tour.

KING: But you're not fire and brimstone, right? You're not pound the decks and hell and dam nation?

OSTEEN: No. That's not me. It's never been me. I've always been an encourager at heart. And when I took over from my father he came from the Southern Baptist background and back 40, 50 years ago there was a lot more of that. But, you know, I just -- I don't believe in that. I don't believe -- maybe it was for a time. But I don't have it in my heart to condemn people. I'm there to encourage them. I see myself more as a coach, as a motivator to help them experience the life God has for us.

KING: But don't you think if people don't believe as you believe, they're somehow condemned?

OSTEEN: You know, I think that happens in our society. But I try not to do that. I tell people all the time, preached a couple Sundays about it. I'm for everybody. You may not agree with me, but to me it's not my job to try to straighten everybody out. The Gospel called the good news. My message is a message of hope, that's God's for you. You can live a good life no matter what's happened to you. And so I don't know. I know there is condemnation but I don't feel that's my place.

KING: Because we've had ministers on who said, your record don't count. You either believe in Christ or you don't. If you believe in Christ, you are, you
are going to heaven. And if you don't no matter what you've done in your life, you ain't.

OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ,if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.
KING: Phoenix, Arizona. Hello.

CALLER: Hello, Larry. You're the best,
and thank you, Joe -- Joel -- for your positive messages and your book. I'm
wondering, though, why you side-stepped Larry's earlier question about how we
get to heaven? The bible clearly tells us that Jesus is the way, the truth and
the light and the only way to the father is through him. That's not really a
message of condemnation but of truth.

OSTEEN: Yes, I would agree with
her. I believe that...

KING: So then a Jew is not going to heaven?

OSTEEN: No. Here's my thing, Larry, is I can't judge somebody's heart.
You know? Only god can look at somebody's heart, and so -- I don't know. To me,
it's not my business to say, you know, this one is or this one isn't. I just
say, here's what the bible teaches and I'm going to put my faith in Christ. And
I just I think it's wrong when you go around saying, you're saying you're not
going, you're not going, you're not going, because it's not exactly my way. I'm
just...

KING: But you believe your way.

OSTEEN: I believe my
way. I believe my way with all my heart.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yes, Joel is a theological lightweight. Yes Lakewood is Christianity Lite. I don't claim to agree with his doctrinal positions but I do appreciate his messages of encouragement. He's closer to Tony Robbins than Jerry Falwell. But he does a great job of getting the core message of Christianity out to portions of our society that Evangelicals have had a very tough time reaching. Here in Houston there are churches all over town brimming with people who got their first taste of Christianity through Lakewood (either through Joel or his father) and then went seeking more than the surface material they were getting from the Osteens.

As a result I tend to Joel for what I believe he is ... a phenomenal communicator with a gift of encouragement. I've read his book and found the principles of great use in my life. Like many others on this board I enjoy watching him on television (especially with Israel leading the music). But I need more than milk and that's why I attend church where I go.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
He's definitely New Age. A far as his religious beliefs, one wonders if he really knows anything more about the Bible than say Joe SixPack sitting at the bar?
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
sly has put it well, and thnaks baldspot for the the larry king interview. he may be a lightweight spiritually, but if he can offer encouragement to people and get them thinking about God and the basic principles and praying to our Lord for guidance, i think that is great.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]