Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
With everything we discuss on this board, we hardly ever talk about some of the most important matters in life and how our experiences as LU shaped us. Let's use this thread as a place to speak on some of our spiritual maturity while at LU. For all of the criticism out there... God has used the school and it's professors, other students, etc. to teach us more about Himself. So let's chat about some of the things that matter most... our spiritual growth at LU.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I'll go first:
When I came to LU, I had just come out of the inner city of Baltimore. I had never gone to a Christian school at all and I'm far from someone who drinks the kool-aid. I had many spiritual growth experiences while at LU.

- My grandfather passed away after I was at LU about 6 weeks. It was hard on me but my dorm showed me what genuine Christianity was when at 2:30 a.m. the hall filled with guys who lined up at my door to encourage me. Most hugged me, some gave me gas money and some prayed with me. This showed me that my walls I had built up could come down a little at LU... there really were people out there who cared... truly cared.

- I learned to deal with my aggression and anger at LU. I went from reacting vocally and physically to reacting by silence and I learned that both were wrong... I had to learn how to respond in the midst of my anger and keep focusing on Christ even when I was angry.

- Dr. Falwell's messages made a difference with me. While other kids mocked him and laughed... I actually listened to what he was saying. Even when I heard the message for a 2nd or 3rd time I still was able to learn and grow spiritually. One of my favorite messages he gives is about discouragement. He says our greatness as a Christian is determined by what it takes to discourage us. It's been huge motivator in both my personal and professional life.

- I got involved. Working at LCA, ELC, Childrens-Middle School ministries at TRBC, ran a summer camp, worked at Camp Hydaway, prayer leader on my hall... all of these experiences put me around Godly people who allowed me to be me but were role models on what it means to live out the Christian life.

- Faith steps. It's obvious on this board that I'm a big supporter of LU and the vision Dr. Falwell has. One of the things that Always inspired me about LU is that you'd have to have your head in the sand NOT to see the vision building up around you. For me, every time I saw a new project I could see the vision becoming more of a reality. During my time I saw a project happening just about every day. When God sets a person out to accomplish something great... he will have his critics but for me I look at what God allowed for Dr. Falwell to do on that mountain. It brings me back to scripture about faith and how if we even had the faith of a mustard seed we could move mountains. Seeing Liberty continue to grow (even through the problems of the mid-late 90's) helped me to take my faith that much more seriously.

I have many others... but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Be serious on this thread... take time to recall all that God taught you spiritually during your time at LU.

Galatians 6:6 "Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor." I think this thread can be a place to share 'all good things' with those who help make LU happen.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I debated for a while whether to attend LU or LC and even VT, but after my first class at LU, I knew it was the right decision. It was an Old Testament class with Dr. Harold Wilmington. I completed as many undergraduate courses as I could at CVCC as I was paying my own way through school. I finally quit my full time job to attend LU full time. I knew going to LU was going to cost me more in tuition, but I wanted a Christian education.

I know some students hate going to convocation, but I miss it now that I am out in the world so to speak. Yeah, sometimes they weren't the most exciting, but they were a break from the stresses of everyday life and a time to focus on eternal truths, if I could get my heart and mind focused right.

Dr Falwell's message on never quitting has stuck with me as well as other messages. Like Tally, a favorite of mine is his one on discouragement. I bought his book Building Dynamic Faith at Super Conference last year, I was impressed with how candid he was. I think that perhaps since I have been gone from LU for such a while, that I appreciate even more what I learned there. My Bible knowledge was greatly increased and I loved being around fellow believers and being able to discuss things of eternal significance.

My hardest thing is putting into practice what I know. Thank the Lord for forgiveness and grace. Thank the Lord also, that LU survived the struggles that were there when I attended and is now well on the way to training even more "Young Champions for Christ."
By cheerbren
Registration Days Posts
I have to say that my time at LU taught me a lot about how I did NOT want to be as a Christian, which are lessons that I needed. It taught me how judgemental I was and that every person is loved by Jesus.

I regret that I did not use LU for spiritual growth, but it was part of God's plan. I did see Christ there and enjoyed chapel and worship.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think most of us wound up growing in some fashion the way Cheerbren stated. I know I certainly had some eye-opening times at LU that helped pave the way for me to become even closer to him after I left. I think its easy to become jaded and cynical when you are immersed in the Liberty experience. That's not to say everyone is affected in this manner, but it is not uncommon. But that fact of the matter is that LU students have solid principles pounded into their skulls on a daily basis and it does sink in.

Like many of you, I came to LU with a pretty solid background and understanding of Christianity. But sometimes it takes some independent thought that comes from being on your own in order to test your knowledge and determine what is truly important in your individual lives. I know that was the case for me. I certainly did many things I regret during my time on campus and I wish I would've taken advantage of more of the opportunities in the SuperConference and such. But in the aftermath, I feel I grew considerably during my time in Lynchburg.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I had the privilege of being raised in a Christian family, attending a christian jr and sr high school, but I sat under the ministry of a baptist preacher that if you didn't dot your i's and cross your t's you were out of God's will. I then went to BJU my 1st year of college and there they believed in not only seperation but 2nd degree seperation. Second degree seperation when I was there in 1971 was you could not associate with a Christian who associated with someone who drank, went to movies, dances, etc.
I then saw the OTGH at the end of my freshman's year during summer and was led by God to LBC. I had the privilege of sitting in chapel under Jerry, Sumner Wemp, Dr. Towns, and other men of God.
I am so grateful to God, that he led me to LBC.
By ishy
Registration Days Posts
I have to say the greatest thing I received spiritually was my three best friends. I had dropped out of UGA a physical and emotional mess because of several major issues, including watching my ex self-destruct. My best friends not only were a source of comfort, but truth and sagacity. They knew when to be there as a friend, and they knew when to tell me I was being stupid and to stop it.

On the other hand, I am not from a Christian family, did not grow up in the church, and LU in some ways opened my eyes to a lot of wrong things taught in the church. There were people who refused to associate with me because I was not from a Christian family. I heard sermons about why Christians should only date Christians from 'upstanding' Christian families. I had quite a number of people ask me 'who I was related to'. The funny thing is...the people I knew who were related to a 'big name' Christian were normally the ones who scoffed at those questions as much as I did.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]