Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Secular schools across the country are getting Good Friday off as a holiday. Why does Liberty not get out for Good Friday? If anyone did, you'd think the world's largest evangelical school would. I can't figure out some of the stuff that goes on around here.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely ludicris. Do any of the profs cancel classes on their own?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I've only got one class but that's not the point. I'm sure some will. I've got to ref for a class on Saturday so I won't be going home from Easter for the first time, ever. I'm sure a ton of other students won't be able to go home for Easter either. I think it's crazy.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
In my 4 years we have never gotten off the week of Easter. Why? I don't know. Just the way it's been.
By D Edcil
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:In my 4 years we have never gotten off the week of Easter. Why? I don't know. Just the way it's been.
That is because you are in schoool to learn not celebrate pointless religous holidays!!!
Ooops I thought this was the board for acLU.!!!
Great question that will go down as a quandry for all times. Christian school, but not getting one of the top 3 Christian holidays off? Maybe they are worried you will spend too much time driving home to re connect with family or something. I am sure some one somewhere has an explaination! And let's not 'celebrate" diversity with MLK day off,
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I had a question in New Testament the other day that basically came down to say "The resurrection was the single most important event in Christianity" but nah, we'll keep you guys here for it while all of the "secular" "liberal" schools go home and go to church with their family. Yup, makes a ton of sense.

I'm ok not getting out president's day or MLK day or Columbus Day or whatever, but c'mon, give us Easter.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
State schools have the day off since it is a legal holiday in most states. Many other school suse Good Friday as part of their Spring Break.

All that said, I agree that we should be observing a day of introspection. But honestly many Baptists feel queasy about celebrating the holiday since Catholics have adopted it as their own over the centuries. We push Easter for obvious reasons but the maundy Thursday/Good Friday has been underserved by most Evangelicals.

Considering the subject matter, I have moved this thread from The Courtyard to The Chapel.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I've always observed Good Friday as a big deal. Maybe that's a difference between Baptists and Pentecostals, I don't know. I've always thought it was a big deal.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think Baptists/Pentecostals/AGs all pretty much share similar feelings about Good Friday. But I'm just giving you a little background on perhaps why the holiday isn't getting the attention it deserves.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I remember growing up in western NY and stores closing on Good Friday from 12-3 in observance. I'd be surprised if that still happens though. Holy week is very special to me and a time of reflection. I always take off on Good Friday and since most Baptist churches don't have services, I usually attend a Lutheran or Methodist church for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. It's disappointing to me that LU has classes scheduled.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Jerry doesn't think the crusifixion happened on the Friday. He's a Wednesday man. Although both Friday and Sunday are no doubt merely representations of the actual dates. So, who knows why there isn't even one day off. Everybody leaves Friday anyway.
By Guest
didn't good Friday begin as a catholic holiday? i know i may b wrong, but if not, maybe that has somethig to do with it
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]