Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
I've refrained from putting my thoughts in here until now, largely because I didn't know what to say. Everything I would have said has already been said by someone else and said better than I could have done. I think the main thing that I appreciated about Jerry -- and still do -- is who he was and what he represented, not just to me but to everyone else. I'm sure it was my own fault but I don't think I got a good grasp of that as a student here. In fact, I don't think I really came close to 'getting' Jerry until after I came back to work here and could actually begin to see his long-term BHAG reflected as part of my own life.
As all of us are, I am truly grieved to see Jerry go. However, there is one aspect of this sad moment that I am truly enjoying and that is that, as condolences and memories are poured out here on this board and in the newspaper and continue to come in from around the globe, I hear all these thoughts and stories and my idea of who Jerry was is exponentially broadened and deepened. I interacted with him on a few occasions but -- as I mentioned to someone this morning -- Jerry was something like the Great and Powerful Oz to me, benevolent yet all-powerful and somehow separated from we mere mortals because of that power. It's ironic and more than a little sad that it's only now, in his passing, that some of us see the complete 'Jerry'.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Atrain and others, is the special edition of the Champion already printed yet and available on campus?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Atrain and others, is the special edition of the Champion already printed yet and available on campus?
No, we are sending it off to Culpeper tonight to be printed and should have it out on Friday.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I listened to parts of it this morning. I didn't get your e-mail til late last night or I would've been in recording something yesterday at some point talking about my memories of him.....it still surreal to me
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I just noticed that articles about Dr. Falwell's life, legacy and passing outnumber all other articles currently on the wire except for articles about the Hamas cease-fire in Gaza. 2,065 news articles are out there at this point.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
An incredible man of faith that has greatly made an impact on the world as well as myself and my family. I will definitely miss his sense of humor. Prayers from Florida for his family as well as the LU nation.

When the champions paper comes out, add me to the list. Send me more information on it through PM
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
yeah. I think every american now knows about Liberty University. I wonder how many highschool students will now check it out. Good ol Jerry, still recruiting students.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for posting that Scorcho, I teared up.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
:cry: That was powerful...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
amazing video....after spending some time on youtube last night and getting upset at some of the things being put on there about Jerry its great to see a video such as this....thanks for the link

:(
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:Last night the Roanoke Times came in and shot some video at our radio station...I count it an honor to have been able to tell do this

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/117088
I would have loved to have been there

if it hadn't been for work I would have been....i just want to somehow pay tribute to the man
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
Well, I have to admit that definitely brought the tears. You know, the funny thing, when the girl said "Jerry is happier now" it's almost hard to believe. Not because I don't believe heaven is a happy place but because Jerry was such a happy, positive man.

I'm not big on heroes really. I have only had three. John Wayne. Ronald Reagan. We lost the last one yesterday.

Jerry, you're the man!
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
Thanks! great
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
fantastic video.

brings tears to your eyes
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Yesterday I was in shock and cried buckets-thankful I didn't have to be at work like many of you. My 4yr. old came up while I was crying on the phone with a friend-she said [it'll be ok, Mommy]. My husband called me upon 1st hearing that Dr.F. was in critical condition; I immediately called my church to get him on prayer chain but by the time I called a friend MrJas had heard he passed; when I called my church back and she said they heard, I couldn't even speak for few sec. I told her one reason I can't stop crying is that we went down for Homecoming 2005- my 1st time back in 15yrs.- and my son was playing a video game when Jerry walked through the student center; I did get a pic. of just Jerry (and I don't feel so bad after seeing SJ didn't get the prize pic.-I feel for ya).
He turned to glance at a football play then apologized-which I let him know he didn't need to-it brought a smile to my face.
My daughter did get to meet Jerry- he was outside with Jonathan and family. Since she was only 2and1/2, when he told her to come to Liberty she just waved Pooh bear at him. Last yr. he was sitting in the track area but had to go over to the service before we went over :( :(
I do remember him stopping to say hi to me and my boyfriend-late 80's.
As my head was splitting from a pounding headache by evening yesterday, I said that I was surprised how hard it hit me even with knowing that I loved him. My pastor's wife expressed sorry and I said he was one of those I just expected to live to 100. It was good to read all the posts-my son was sitting next to me for many so he gets more of a pic. of the man.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think one of the cool aspects of an otherwise horrendous say was getting calls from old friends as everyone began hearing the news. We all sort of stammered around not knowing what to say. But we just needed to reach out to others going through the same sort of loss. Its not something I anticipated but it was reassuring.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
can't sleep, found another good tribute on youtube

it still hasn't sunk in completely yet....

the first football game of the year is going to be very emotional I have a feeling....I know sports is an after thought at moments like this...but our sport teams next year will have that added inspiration...it will be an emotional year next year....but God blessed Jerry with a great vision and as we have said over and over again we will be stronger then ever and I have no doubt we will make Jerry proud
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Even today as I read tributes and stories about Jerry I am constantly wiping tears from my eyes. I count it a great privilege to sit under his ministry. Last time I saw Jerry was at the 2005 alumni meeting before homecoming game. As he left the platform we shook hands and I explained to him this was my first visit back in 30 yrs since graduation. The look on his face was priceless so to speak. He had someone videotaping him as we talked I wish I could get that photo. He even mentioned me in the sunday morning service, not by name but that a graduate came back to visit after 30 yrs and saw the difference. Still I cannot believe he is gone, this will take a while to get over. We are LU! because of the vision God gave to one man. He was the right man at the right time for this University.
By BrysOn_G
Registration Days Posts
ya know, i was thinking...

i never met jerry. i never had a conversation with him. i did get a honk and wave a few times, but that's about it. regardless of this stuff, this man was more of a role model for me than just about anyone. it's hard to explain, yet easy for everyone to understand, how you could have never met jerry but still have been GREATLY influenced. i don't cry, but i was def. teary-eyed at TRBC the day it happened. such an indescribeable leader, pastor, teacher and man of God.

although i wish i had spoken to him or had my picture taken with him, his life was, and will always be, a GREAT example for me to strive for and follow.

i'm happy i was able to spend at least this one year watching jerry do what he did. it's a blessing to be part of his ministry.
By Sqirral
Registration Days Posts
An old roomate forwarded an e-mail from one of her earlier roomies (Kerri Sowers) who I believe currently attends TRBC. I guess at the first service in the new sanctuary they were selling books "An Incredible Journey - Thomas Road Baptist Church." On the evening of Docs death, in the quiet hours of the evening, she went back to that book and found this:

It was written as he was about to turn 73. It is the last paragraph on the last page of the book and it is Dr. Falwell's closing remarks. It reads:

"God has blessed me with godly and talented associates at every level of ministry. We have a great team at TRBC and a superb faculty, staff and administration at LU. I have perfect peace about the future. God's timing is always perfect. While I am praying Hezekiah's prayer for an extension of 15 years, with an option to renew, I am, as always, in the Lord's hands. I trust Him with my life, my family and my ministry. They are all His anyway."

Like most of you, I've read a lot in the past few days, but NOTHING comforted me more than to 'hear' Dr. Falwell say these words.

May this be the goal for each and every one of us as we live out our lives.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i had pulled out that book sunday night and glanced over that as well. how powerful it is!
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]