Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By mcmanson
Registration Days
Let's all pick up Jerry's flame--his legacy. Let's be salt and light to a dark, dark world. That would be the greatest tribute we could give him and that's what he would want us to do.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
mcmanson wrote:Let's all pick up Jerry's flame--his legacy. Let's be salt and light to a dark, dark world. That would be the greatest tribute we could give him and that's what he would want us to do.
That's my sister, so you guys better be nice :wink: .
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Thanks to Harrisburg flame for the Kudos...people do say I bleed LU. I take that as a compliment :)

Anyway, here's the tribute that I wrote for Dr. Falwell that will go in our church's June Newsletter...

June 2007

One day when I was in college, my friend Kevin and I were going to be late for band practice.

In order to make it on time, we decided to cut through the mansion lawn on the way to the practice field. The chancellor of the college saw us, and he ran out of his office and got into his Black Suburban, and took his vehicle over the curb and across the lawn, chasing after us.

With a laughing smile on his face, he acted like he was going to run us over. The prankster that chased us in that vehicle was none other than Dr. Jerry Falwell.

With his passing last month, I wanted to include that story of Jerry’s lighter side. Rev. Falwell was one who would bear hug unsuspecting students from behind; one who would motion students to cross in front of his Suburban, so he could then blast his horn to make them jump in fright.

At Liberty’s campus, there is even a rock that is dedicated to graffiti. Different dorms, athletic teams, and groups can spray paint that boulder however they want. Sometimes it gets painted three times on the same day!

After the shootings at Virginia Tech, the rock was painted maroon with a burnt orange VT…I believe it stayed that way for over a week, as a memorial to what happened in Blacksburg.
In a similar manner, after Jerry’s death, the students painted a black suit and red tie on the rock, Dr. Falwell’s normal attire, as tribute to him.

How fitting, because when it came to defending Biblical inerrancy, Jerry was like a rock. Unmovable in his defense of the inspiration of scripture, no matter what people thought of him.

The Bible tells us that King David was a man after God’s own heart. In Psalm 61, David even compares himself to a rock. However, David wanted the people to know that it wasn’t really about him being the rock, it was more about the God he served, being the ultimate Rock. In Psalm 61:2-4, David was on the run from King Saul, and in his prayer to the Lord, he said,

From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.

There were many memorial services that celebrated Dr. Falwell’s life. But I think if Jerry could have had a chance to say something, he would have been like King David, and said, “Don’t look at me, but look at the Rock of Ages, our Lord Jesus Christ, who I tried to serve.”

I’ll miss you, Jerry.

Pastor Jim – LU ’99 - One of “Jerry’s kids”.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
I miss the big guy already.

I wish I had a better photo of this; I had worked tirelessly to get a special issue of the paper out the previous week. The day it came out we had a basketball game, and I asked Dr. Falwell and the school president if they'd mind posing for a picture with me, reading the paper. Jerry, being an awesome guy, did it. I used that photo as an advertisement later on... and that's the story behind this photo.

And I didn't draw this, but...

By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:
Hold My Own wrote:No sporting event will ever be the same for me...my hero has fallen
His seat in the Vines needs to be retired, or memorialized in some sort of way.
I move that every team retire "71", not just the football team...

AND WE NEVER PAINT OVER THE ROCK AGAIN!

Let's get a new rock. I don't want to see this defaced with something like "dorm 13-2 rules" or... whatever.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:I move that...

Let's get a new rock. I don't want to see this defaced with something like "dorm 13-2 rules" or... whatever.
Best idea of the week. Perhaps move the rock to outside the FOC where the players exit...start a tradition of players rubbing the "Jerry Rock."
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Fumblerooskies wrote:
Ed Dantes wrote:I move that...

Best idea of the week. Perhaps move the rock to outside the FOC where the players exit...start a tradition of players rubbing the "Jerry Rock."
I vote for this as well! Great idea.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I had this very same thought the other day- hoping no one had already painted over it. Didn't think it would have happened, then again, I could see a rival school doing something during FB season next year.

my question was- can "they" move the thing w/out damaging it?

great idea though.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
They moved it once before when they put it in. I don't see why they couldn't do it again.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Libertine wrote:
PAmedic wrote:
They moved it once before when they put it in. I don't see why they couldn't do it again.
damage = the artwork. not the rock itself.

should've been clearer. Probably my accent affecting you.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
the hard part would be getting it out of the cement without messing it up
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Great idea - & I was very happy to read that he will be buried at the Mansion.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Scorcho,

Thanks for the pictures.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Yes thanks for the photos, they capture the emotions of the people
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
After watching the service from TRBC today, live on the internet, I would definitely say that humanly speaking, Johnathan is ready to pick up the mantle of his father. The hand of God had to be on him to allow him to hold himself together during the service. I feel much better about the future of TRBC than I did before. He sure sounded a lot like his dad.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I wondered if those around during Jerry's early years (50s-60s) could draw any comparisons between him back then and Jonathan now. Both around the same age, no?

the Osteen comparison SLY drew earlier was interesting- though I never saw/heard the elder and only saw his son on TV once.

not much for TV preachers, in general.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Great pictures...thanks for sharing them...I was right behind the three black men, they were very much emotional which made it much harder for me to hold it in....that was the first and probably the last viewing I will ever go to...I wanted to pay my respects, but now everytime I see Jerry on tv or people are talking about him i think of him there...not exactly how I want to remember him....i hope that memory fades fast
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Medic, with all due respect, your math is way off as far as your chronology: in the 1950s-1960s, Jerry would have been in his 20s and 30s. Jerry was only 38 years old when Liberty was founded in 1971; Jonathan was born in 1966, so he is 41 years old now, meaning he is the same age Jerry would would have been in 1974 (my 1000th post!).
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
the service today was very moving! jonathan really charged the crowd. the video tribute was excellent and the congregation lining the streets to see the horse drawn hearse, really brought it all home to me. GMTM and i then went to the viewing and reflected on his influence on our lives. it was a long day, but one of reflection, sadness and joy!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic should know how old Jonthan is since we went to LU with him.
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
I don't think I've cried so much since my mom passed away in '95....I've cried so much my sinuses ache. I just tried to download some pics of the funeral procession of Dr. Falwell's casket from DeMoss Hall through campus to TRBC but my server is not allowing me. I will keep on trying until it lets me.
This tribute is one of many. I took my daughter around Lynchburg today because she's doing a scrapbook on Dr. Falwell and part of it will have pics of all the businesses who paid a little tribute to Dr. Falwell.

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]