Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Opening football game in the fall there will be the required "Jerry" chant. Even if I'm the only one doing it.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Words really can't describe it right now...I was talking to Sly this morning about Dr.Falwell and what he was doing for us and it was about the same time that he was being rushed to the hospitial... There are so many stories that are going through my mind right now...Dr. Hindson said it best this afternoon... "A Giant has fallen today" ...If you have a story that you want to share we are keeping the phones open for the bulk of the night and will be playing them during a tribute show tomorrow morning at 10AM on 90.9FM also Jeff Barber will be on the Sportsline at 6:10 tonight to give his thoughts...www.sportslineradio.com or 105.9FM....Lastly my prayers and thoughts go out to the whole Falwell family...
By Sqirral
Registration Days Posts
I like that eternal flame idea, but unlike a lot of you, I'm not a past athlete. How about rallying the entire alumni body to help contribute? Is there anyone here on the Alumni staff that can help us out?
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Usually when hollywood actors dies, there is a saying they use die in three, in our Christian world ,we first lost Lee Roberson, founder of Tennessess Temple over a week ago or more, and today Jerry Falwell founder of Liberty U, I wonder if we will lose another giant for God. Just a thought
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Dr. Falwell was a man with a great big heart for God and a great big heart for people. He was a great big man ;) I saw him come behind male students and bear hug them off the ground. I saw him try to “run students over” with his suburban. He always had time for you. I did not always agree with Dr. Falwell, but he always made me think. And I knew that the things he did stemmed from his faith and concern for people, so I was always quick to forgive his foibles. Heaven knows I have mine and more. Even though I am proud to say, “I am one of Jerry’s kids.”

I also want to send out my condolences to the Falwell family. When you have a public figure like our Dr. Falwell, it can take away from the private grieving of the family. Our family lost a grandmother on Saturday so the grief is fresh. Our prayers and best wishes are with you, Mrs. Falwell and your family. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful man with the rest of us!
By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
After Jerry gets settled in his new home I wonder how long it will be before he starts lobbying to improve the athletic facilities in heaven? I'm sure he will not let anyone up there take a break. I don't know if it's really sunk in yet.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I admit that brought a smile to my face, H-burg (your presence has been missed incidentally).

And if you haven't checked out the Guestbook at the Fishwrap then it is worth reading the massive number of condolences.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
On April 30th, Dr. Falwell wrote me this email after the death of Lee Roberson:
He was a great warrior and a mighty oak is fallen.
Now, barely 2 weeks later, we can all say the same thing about our own leader and friend.

At the spring football game this year, I walked past the temporary skybox and heard a tapping on the window. I turned around and looked, and there was Dr. Falwell waving and smiling at me.

And when our Quiz Bowl team won our second BSC tournament this year, we got our picture taken with Dr. Falwell, which will be a memory that I will always cherish.
Last edited by Cider Jim on May 15th, 2007, 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
He lived a full life, and in passing, he left nothing undone. Within the current social context, his passing carries the mark of God's timing as far as I'm concerned.

He will forever be an inspiration to me for his courage, commitment, and resolve. He will be missed by all who loved, knew, and understood him. Thankfully, his legacy lives on with his family, friends, the social movement that he founded and inspired, and this university.
By madmat
Registration Days Posts
My heart and prayers go out to the family of Dr. Falwell, to the Liberty University family, and to TRBC. But I believe a hearty "well done, my good and faithful servant" was ussued today in heaven. Two years ago I entrusted my son to this man's vision at Liberty University, and I am truly thankful that he is the recipient of an education shaped by this godly man. I was able to meet him and thank him at the Spring Football Game this past April, as he was willing to talk to all after the game. I was grateful for that opportunity. My hope is that the students at LU will continue to carry on the impactful ministry of Jerry's vision to a world in great need.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I was one of those guys who was asked to leave before graduating. I deserved it and was never bitter about it. Even from the immediate time it happened. I knew that I could probably go to Jerry and talk to him and stay in the school. He was just that kind of guy. He wouldn't have approved of what I did but would maybe have understood.

I have always appreciated his preaching that "God is a God of a second chance". And I have needed a few of those "second chances" along the way in life. I can't tell you how many times I would watch Jerry on OTGH and appreciate the grace Jerry showed and preached.

He came a long way and led others to get away from a lot of the nonsense that still exists in some of the "fundamentalist" circles of Christianity. Jerry never was stuck in the old ways but never compromised the truth.To me that will be one his greatest legacies.

Said it many a time........Jerry's the man!
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if this is appropriate to post or not myself but I read that Fred Phelps and his group are planning to picket Falwells funeral, whenever that might be.

I plan on driving up from Raleigh, NC myself.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
You know, two things stick out to me when I remember him: Last year he preached a sermon/many sermons about how the just shall live by faith. What an amazing man of faith he was. And two, he always talked about finishing strong, about how that was his goal, and you know what? He did. The thing that is getting to me is that everything he preached and stood for in the pulpit he stood for in the home. I can only pray we have one of his kind in our generation. My prayers and thanks to the Falwell family, for standing by Jerry, and allowing God to create this mountain through them.
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
Even though I only talked to Dr. Falwell a handful of times he always remembered my name and where I was from...I truly consider him one of the most amazing men of God who have ever lived, and I like to think that right now he's bragging about our football team, Josh McDougal, Samkon Gado, and Larry Blair to every person he meets in heaven. Dr. Falwell will be greatly missed by myself, and even though I think LU will continue to thrive, to me there will always be a small void at this place without Jerry here.
Last edited by pbow on May 15th, 2007, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
So, the real question is how long until JF neighbors in the sky can quote a little story about a sunday school class and a church bus... :lol: Thanks for all the great stories, Senior...
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I had the fortunate priviledge to meet Dr. Falwell a few times like most students but this past Saturday I got to talk with Dr Falwell in the Press Box at the baseball game. Despite the close game against Winthrop he listened to every word I said between explaining what was going on with the game to his wife. I thought he was going to break the glass when we took the go ahead run.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Ironic that in the wake of his passing, Jerry is in the middle of 2 hrs of face time on CNN, of all networks- while Fox News is showing the Republican debate from SC.

currently an interesting profile on Anderson Cooper 360 (Ralph Reed, who did a good job, and a very bitter atheist who attempted to prove doc was a complete fraud who didnt really believe what he preached :roll: )

prior to that, Larry King had a full hr, most of which I missed due to work , concluded w/ a nice interview w/ James Dobson.

CNN finally comes around, shame it took this event to do so.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Mel White on right now, states Dr. J was "sincere and believed deeply what he was saying"

looks to be broadcasting from just in front of TRBC (across the street, in the shopping ctr)
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
The TV stations are still broadcasting at 10:30 up in P2. The area where we tailgate is swamped.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
If there was ever any doubt about Dr. Falwell's ability to be relevant to the world around him, witness the fact that while potential candidates to lead our nation are debating, every major news network (save the one broadcasting the debate) is talking about him. I cannot help but feel that I have taken my experiences with and proximity to this man for granted. What a mighty leader he was.
Last edited by El Scorcho on May 15th, 2007, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
agreed. I often wondered if we overestimated the impact LU and TRBC had, until tonite.
in fact, Anderson Cooper did a brief profile of the school in describing some of Jerry's achievements.

I'm thinking he's watching above, wishing he could deflect the attention away from himself!

Also, great interview of Franklin Graham ; he came out fired up! powerful stuff.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Prayer service for the family, church, community, etc. at TRBC, tomorrow, at 6:15pm led by Dr. Towns. Open to everyone.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Roanoke news station just stated that Dr. Falwell's body can be viewed later in the DeMoss building before the funeral.
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just lik[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]