Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
A little backstory at the top...

I walked in a rather odd way for most of my life. my feet largely were pointed like this:

\ /

Instead of like this:

I I
That in and of itself was not particularly problematic much of my life but it did look rather funny to most. It was noticeable during my year in military school but apparently not enough for anything to be done. I continued with this all through my time at Liberty (through my knee injuries, marching band, etc) but it didn't really become particularly noticeable until I started working retail. I found it difficult to stand for long periods of time and alot of activities most people would easily do were steadily becoming painful. It came to a head finally while I was working at Kroger Marketplace in 2018 as a growler attendant (basically a bartender without all the cool mixed drinks and bar tricks) and I finally was able to get a visit to a podiatrist who took an X-ray of my feet and discovered I had what was called a valgus deformity in both my ankles (look it up sometime).as well as severely flat feet. I tried orthotics, physical therapy, other things but finally this year I decided to go ahead and get surgery to correct that deformity.
After delays due to the COVID-19 situation I finally have a date for my first surgery set for August 14 which is next Friday. I am asking for not only prayer for the surgery , which will be the first of two, but for me as I navigate recovery for both feet and ankles. With the employment situation in this country, it has been difficult for me to find new employment with everyone taking precautions due to the coronavirus situation and I will be looking at not being fully recovered for 6-8 weeks with each procedure including two weeks in a cast. Prayers for wisdom, strength and provision would also be appreciated.
Last edited by BJWilliams on August 3rd, 2020, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Praying that all will go well. Just a word of advice based on my own experience with major orthopedic surgery. Your outcome is at least as dependent on your dedication to rehab as it is on the skill of your surgeon. Since it appears you are not working right now, make that your job.
Purple Haize liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ive not updated much in the goings-on with my ankle situation because things took a pretty negative turn in the run up to my procedure. I was taking my pre-surgery COVID test (which came back negative anyway) and I let it slip as I was registering that I have been homeless since May. Word got back to my podiatrist and they ended up postponing the procedure indefinitely due to the fact that I would not have a place to rest and recover after surgery. I may have told one or two of you what I have been doing to keep something over my head throughout the summer but the pain has become quite difficult to deal with at times. I am hopeful that I have something lined up, but the big question is going to be how soon I can get back on the schedule once I'm settled in once that happens. The recovery time is going to be about three months which puts me being done with my left ankle around Christmas...this delay has also made it difficult for me to find a job because the work I was doing ground to a halt thanks to the coronavirus and unemployment hasn't really been available either (I missed the boat on the extra benefit while it was available) so keeping up with basic needs has been challenging to say the least...and this, while needed, has made things difficult because I could potentially be a liability with my surgery on the horizon.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sorry for the lack of updates but after a host of delays, tomorrow morning at 9:30 am I will finally get the procedure I've been needing all year
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Surgery went as it was supposed to yesterday and I was discharged last night. I am staying with a relative in the area during recovery and rehabilitation so that's good news. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my favorite color for my cast but i still wear my red when I can. I'll be non weight bearing for six weeks (even once my nerve block wears off which should be at worst early tomorrow morning) followed by physical therapy. If you want to send well wishes or random food deliveries i can PM the address where I am staying. Thanks for the prayers yesterday and throughout this difficult journey to get to surgery. The doctor said itd be at least three months for recovery but thatll depend on how i heal and therapy goes.
flamehunter, Purple Haize, Sly Fox and 1 others liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well guys, things took a rather unexpected turn and I was admitted to another hospital early Saturday morning as I tested positive for COVID-19.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:12 am Well guys, things took a rather unexpected turn and I was admitted to another hospital early Saturday morning as I tested positive for COVID-19.
Legit question BJ. Do you have symptoms (ie: low blood oxygen level) or were you admitted soley on the basis of a positive test?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I did have symptoms (mostly flulike symptoms as well as chest pain which as it turned out stemmed from hospital acquired pneumonia from the other hospital) my oxygen was concerning when i was admitted but that has thankfully turned around
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I am. They are talking of discharge though because they are monitoring my pneumonia and I don't have anywhere to go because I don't have a new negative COVID test (my relative is concerned about that because they don't want to get it themselves)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]