Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Did an interview in Austin with Vice for an upcoming documentary over the weekend on a fellow LU classmate. She got caught up in an eschatlology fixation and eventually led a reptilian cult. I couldn't make this up.
Purple Haize liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 17th, 2020, 11:14 pm Did an interview in Austin with Vice for an upcoming documentary over the weekend on a fellow LU classmate. She got caught up in an eschatlology fixation and eventually led a reptilian cult. I couldn't make this up.
That's truly amazing. Please let us know where/when we can see it.
thepostman liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Still in production. I don't know the working title but they have been shooting on it for nearly a year. They usually debut on HBO. I thought the interview would last 20 minutes but it went nearly three hours. I am rather curious what it will all look like in the end product. If any of you LU folks from the Mid '80s knew Sherry Coberly from Ohio ... and I suspect a number of you on here may have, her life developed into a truly tragic story.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm a big fan of a lot of the work Vice does, even if i don't agree with some of the poltics. They put out fascinating documentaries and news features. So yes, please let us know once it is out!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:47 am Vice does really, really good work on those things. You have to watch it knowing there’s a bent, but it’s not done in a gotcha! type but more through a different worldview.
I may just go straight to the ER. This illness is getting worse
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:56 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:47 am Vice does really, really good work on those things. You have to watch it knowing there’s a bent, but it’s not done in a gotcha! type but more through a different worldview.
Yes, seek help immediately! :D
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: August 18th, 2020, 9:26 am
Yes, seek help immediately! :D
If it lasts more than 4 hours.....
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The irony of the situation is that I spend my professional life helping companies handle interviews with Vice. And yes, they do gotcha interviews frequently by ambushing folks. Frankly that is good for my business model.

The cool part of the experience for me was being to explain my faith and what true Christianity looks like to the crew through the interview. The DP wound up asking most of the questions instead of the producer and he was genuinely curious about what makes Evangelicals tick. He clearly had not been exposed much to our corner of Christianity and honestly he seemed to be pleasantly surprised. I went out of my way to show empathy to Sherry and the victims while explaining to the rest of the world Liberty's mission back in the heady Moral Majority days of the '80s. I am no theologian and kept explaining that to them ... just a classmate and fellow WLBUer. But they had been working the project for a long time and acted like I was the first person who could explain Christianity to them in a way they could grasp. It certainly wasn't my brilliance or eloquence. I have no idea what the finished product will look like once it drops. But I tried to shine a little light in the darkness and there was no shortage of the latter in this story.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not familiar with her story but have heard the name and have no idea why. That is cool you were able to have such great discussions with them. Who knows if it'll have any lasting impact but it is an opportunity to possibly bring that viewpoint to others down the road I'm sure. Also, Liberty in the 80's is like a whole different world. Students today (and in my early 2000's days too for that matter) would be shocked.
Just John liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The story involves campus radio at LU back in its AM radio days when Jamie was just a wee lad and long before he arrived on campus. That should give you a perspective.
Purple Haize liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I think you need a dose of TH antidote. But he's fishing so I guess you are on your own.
Purple Haize liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 18th, 2020, 9:48 am The irony of the situation is that I spend my professional life helping companies handle interviews with Vice. And yes, they do gotcha interviews frequently by ambushing folks. Frankly that is good for my business model.

The cool part of the experience for me was being to explain my faith and what true Christianity looks like to the crew through the interview. The DP wound up asking most of the questions instead of the producer and he was genuinely curious about what makes Evangelicals tick. He clearly had not been exposed much to our corner of Christianity and honestly he seemed to be pleasantly surprised. I went out of my way to show empathy to Sherry and the victims while explaining to the rest of the world Liberty's mission back in the heady Moral Majority days of the '80s. I am no theologian and kept explaining that to them ... just a classmate and fellow WLBUer. But they had been working the project for a long time and acted like I was the first person who could explain Christianity to them in a way they could grasp. It certainly wasn't my brilliance or eloquence. I have no idea what the finished product will look like once it drops. But I tried to shine a little light in the darkness and there was no shortage of the latter in this story.
I was on a call with 80's TV actress Heather Thomas a few weeks ago. She was interested in doing a project with Evangelicals but had absolutely no clue about them. She wanted to know who was THE leader of the Evangelicals. It's amazing the lack of knowledge. And she is from Texas.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Amazing things going on in the middle east. Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. The Golan Heights (oil) belongs to Israel. All the countries in Revelation mentioned as friendly to Israel are signing peace agreements. Turkey and Iran, with assistance from Russia are more likely to invade than sign any agreement.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
BUMP

Somehow, TH, you’ve drawn me in.

So we’re talking about more assumptions- the assumption that genetic/ethnic Israel has any kind of continuing covenantal relationship with God. I think of Romans 11 and cut off/grafted in language.

Also, PH’s assumption that the places mentioned in Revelation are meant to be literal and not representative.

Also the assumption that the prophecy in Revelation is future-telling prophecy. Most of Biblical prophecy isn’t.
By willflop
Things do make a lot more sense when you believe, along with Jesus, Paul, and John, that the generation alive when he spoke was the range in which all these things take place. :shock:
stokesjokes, fan00 liked this
By willflop
The land promise is a type of the real inheritance, the world (Rom 4:13). This is why Jesus quotes the promise that the meek will inherit the land (Ps. 37:11) as being the whole earth (Matt 5:5), and Paul refers to the promise of the 5th commandment of living in the land as an expanded reference to the earth (Eph. 6:3). And of course, if you are in Christ you are Abraham’s seed, heirs along with them (Gal. 3:29).
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I found something very interesting the last week. Go onto youtube and search for Beresheet prophecy. (It could be spelled differently) Great videos and instruction in the Hebrew language and end times.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm I found something very interesting the last week. Go onto youtube and search for Beresheet prophecy. (It could be spelled differently) Great videos and instruction in the Hebrew language and end times.
Send me the link in a PM. I found some interesting stuff but want to make sure I watch the one you're suggesting.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
My two cents:

I've recently taught through Daniel (chapter by chapter, if not precisely verse by verse). A while back I preached through Revelation (again, chapter by chapter). One of the things that sticks out to me is that God commanded the message to be hidden for a time (Daniel 12:4, Revelation 10:4). Does God want us to be ignorant? No, Scripture says otherwise.

Is God incapable of giving prophecy except in obscure, difficult terms? Again, no -- 1 Kings 13:2 is a prophecy that gives a specific name to the one who fulfills it. God is capable of being direct and exact when He wants to be.

Those last 5 words, I think, are the key. End times prophecies are obscure because God wants them that way. They're not given to us to predict what is going to happen so much as they are given to let us know that WHEN this stuff happens, God wasn't taken by surprise. Evil may reign, but it doesn't catch God off guard. In the middle of the difficulties that are prophesied, we have assurance that God is still there, and hasn't abandoned us yet.

That's what most of Daniel is for. That's what Ezekiel is for. That's what Isaiah and Jeremiah are for. They tell the people what is going to happen so that when it does, they know that the Lord is God (Ezekiel says this over and over and over again).

So yeah, let's study the prophecies. Let's study Revelation. But let's stop obsessing about WHEN it's going to happen, when Christ Himself said that we won't know. Let's read all the prophecies of judgment and see God CONSTANTLY calling people to repentance - let's read Revelation and see His grace and forgiveness as well as His righteousness.

Let's not be Cambellites. Let's not go off on a mountaintop somewhere to wait for Jesus to come get us. Let's work as if it's going to happen any time now - because that's what the early Church did.

(and yeah, I know I'm necroposting. I've had a few people asking me about a lot of this stuff lately, and I'm venting just a little bit.)
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]