Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hey guys, i had mentioned this in the football recruiting section i believe but i have been writing about the NFL for a couple blogs, most recently moving over to Box Score Sports after starting out with a blog called Behind the Mic. Here is a brief story i did today covering the Dez Bryant signing:

https://theboxscoresports.wordpress.com ... th-saints/
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hey guys,

I don't do this too terribly often but i could use not only your prayers but also your support.
As my post above mentioned, i am a writer for a site called Box Score Sports. I write stories about the NFL and this time of year is a big one with the Super Bowl, NFL Combine and NFL Draft all coming up over the next 4 months. Well, my editor has expressed a desire to send me to tbe NFL Draft as a correspondent. That said, it's my responsibility to raise the funds to get me there for draft week, and i would love to have the support of my Flames family to get there. This would be a major opportunity for me professionally, and just an awesome opportunity to visit Music City USA as well.

Here is the link if you'd like to support financially:
https://www.gofundme.com/send-box-score ... campmgmt_m

I also would appreciate not only your prayers for these fundraising efforts, but if you could share this campaign on social media as well.

Thanks guys
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Hey guys,

I don't do this too terribly often but i could use not only your prayers but also your support.
As my post above mentioned, i am a writer for a site called Box Score Sports. I write stories about the NFL and this time of year is a big one with the Super Bowl, NFL Combine and NFL Draft all coming up over the next 4 months. Well, my editor has expressed a desire to send me to tbe NFL Draft as a correspondent. That said, it's my responsibility to raise the funds to get me there for draft week, and i would love to have the support of my Flames family to get there. This would be a major opportunity for me professionally, and just an awesome opportunity to visit Music City USA as well.

Here is the link if you'd like to support financially:
https://www.gofundme.com/send-box-score ... campmgmt_m

I also would appreciate not only your prayers for these fundraising efforts, but if you could share this campaign on social media as well.

Thanks guys
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you shouldn’t be taking jobs that don’t cover your travel expenses. Your time is worth something. If you aren’t getting reimbursed directly for your travel, your fee should more than cover your costs or you should sit it out.

EDIT: How in the world could this possibly cost you $5000?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I understand your concern. This isn't a monetized blog at this point and up til now we've been doing stories from afar. I actually pitched the idea to my editor and he loved it because this would be a major step in exposure.

As for the target number, i researched a week hotel, round trip flight and a week's rental car and factored in fluctuations in price between now and draft week, and i figured the Gaylord Opryland would be the nicest and closest place to draft central.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I understand your concern. This isn't a monetized blog at this point and up til now we've been doing stories from afar. I actually pitched the idea to my editor and he loved it because this would be a major step in exposure.

As for the target number, i researched a week hotel, round trip flight and a week's rental car and factored in fluctuations in price between now and draft week, and i figured the Gaylord Opryland would be the nicest and closest place to draft central.
Try Uber and Most Affordable. I like Hilton Brands myself.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the recommendation PH.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
go to a choice hotel (sleep, comfort, quality inn) and save money. those places are not dumps, but hit up the reviews. you need to make this affordable as possible. uber and Lyft for transportation.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the recommendation smoothie.
By LUDad
bigsmooth wrote:go to a choice hotel (sleep, comfort, quality inn) and save money. those places are not dumps, but hit up the reviews. you need to make this affordable as possible. uber and Lyft for transportation.
Regardless of the hotel, I always check-out the bedbug reports.
By Jonathan Carone
I got an AirBnB 12 minutes from downtown Nashville that week for $110/night. There were cheaper ones available too in case you haven't booked yet Beej.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
thanks for the tip Jon...I'll check it out. im still very behind with only a few weeks to go though so it may be a moot point unless i can find some sponsors
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Are you registered as media with the NFL? If so, I can speak from experience that food costs won't be much of an issue for you. There is free food evereywhere based on my past experience.

AirBnB is a great call. If you drive over you should only have two nights of lodging and you can score rooms cheap. Then you factor how inexpensive gas is right now ... this is a really cost effective couple of days.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I am registered Sly. Im looking forward to all the free food lol
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
So I was not able to make it to Nashville this year (I have a year to plan for...I believe Las Vegas...next year), but as a nice consolation prize, I've been invited to be a guest on a radio show talking about this year's draft.

I'm going to be a guest on Snowman in the Morning with Brian Snow out of Chicago tomorrow morning. I will be the first guest in the 11 o'clock hour and you can tune in at www.snowmaninthemorning.com. for those of you who can't tune in live, it will be archived at the same site.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well guys, some pretty awesome things have taken place in my life in the last month or so.

On a lark I applied for two positions in my field of study, communications.
Three weeks ago I had a job at Kroger that I rather enjoyed, but I knew was not my life or career aspiration.
Today, two weeks after being offered a job by a radio group that I grew up listening to, I was tentatively offered (pending a background check) a position as an editorial assistant for sports for the Virginian Pilot, a paper I would get up every morning reading before school.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Great news, BJ! :typing And this happened on your birthday. :clapping :oldhag
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Anyone that knows me knows how big of a deal both of these jobs are for me.

I grew up grabbing the sports page from the Pilot every morning before school and devouring it from front to back, getting every bit of information I could, then reading it again when I got home. It was pretty much a part of my life all the way up til I left for Liberty in 2002.

I've been listening to Max Media stations since I got my first boombox when I was 13. I would listen to Sports Radio 1310 (now ESPN Radio 94.1) every morning, and Id listen to 97.3 The Eagle because I was a huge country music fan too (still am). To get an opportunity, in my field, to work for both is probably the closest to a dream come true I have at this point and I am excited to work for them both and rock their collective socks off.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Congrats. The Pilot is a good newspaper. I read it each day I am in the Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach area.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]