Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Those of you on here who know me may remember my older sister, who was near death back in 2006 AND 2008...well her health has been on the decline and she has needed dialysis due to kidney failure as a result of her type 1 diabetes. She was approved for the organ transplant list gor a kidney and pancreas transplant and Friday she got the call for a possible donor...well they gave the green light last night and she is in surgery right now up at Georgetown University Medical Center. Prayers are coveted. She may drive me completely batty, but she is my sister after all
Last edited by BJWilliams on September 24th, 2018, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CCWMichael
Strong prayers coming your way!
What is her name? If you do not mind.
I will get her into a few large prayer circles here in Pennsylvania.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Surgery went "textbook perfect" according to my mom. Both organs fit precisely and the new kidney started producing urine almost immediately. She'll be up there for about 6-8 weeks. She can finally stop taking insulin for the first time in almost 30 years but of course she will have to deal with anti-rejection meds
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Those are good signs BJ. Praying she regains good health quickly. You mentioned both organs fit. Did she have a double kidney transplant?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Nope, just one. She also got a pancreas
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Nope, just one. She also got a pancreas
Ah, that's what I wondered, thus no longer needing insulin injections. That's wonderful.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Buy.a kidney get a pancreas free. Sweet deal!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Now comes the fun of making sure she follows the doctor's advice to a T, and with her two brain injuries, her memory centers are pretty significantly compromised.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
She is managing as well as possible. She is on a liquid diet right now while she adjusts to her new organs. She is stressing my mom out a bit (you have to really know me and my situation to understand that part), but there seem to be zero complications at this point
By LUDad
Zero complications sound great. Interesting to hear about the pancreas transplant. Did not know that Type 1 is reversable with a transplant. I have a granddaughter with Type 1. Thanks for sharing.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Zero complications sound great. Interesting to hear about the pancreas transplant. Did not know that Type 1 is reversable with a transplant. I have a granddaughter with Type 1. Thanks for sharing.
It's not that uncommon actually. Usually it is part of a multi organ procedure as was the case here, but it does happen. I think the fact that she was borderline end stage renal failure helped fast track things. I would have your granddaughters parents talk to her doctor about the possibility of a transplant on the next visit
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Been a while but here is a little update on my sister.

She is doing well with her kidney and pancreas, taking her medications thanks to my parents, but her in home caretaker had their last day yesterday and she does not have anyone to care for her except my parents this upcoming week.
They do have a meeting with the Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS July 11) about future options for her care, and there is hope that she can travel with my mom to Charlottesville to a semi-independent living facility for evaluation now that she is approaching a year out since her transplant. If she is accepted there, she will move there and that is where she will live, which will help the house financially and emotionally for my parents, because she has regular verbal confrontations with them over a number of things, and for as many issues as we have, I don't believe that they should have to hole themselves up in their room to try and get some peace and productivity (and not having to call plumbers and other professionals to address issues she mindlessly causes).

Do pray for progress to be made not only at this appointment on the 11th but with this evaluation in C-Ville
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]