Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Here we go again. This time this strikes much closer to home for me. My parents live on the central east coast of Florida and my wife and I own a house in Tampa that is currently under contract to sell. Needless to say it's a stressful time in our house these days. Praying for a miracle here and it somehow hooks out to sea. Doesn't look like that has much chance at happening at this point.

Prayers from all is much appreciated. Thanks.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It should be a short event. Lots of wind and a strong storm surge followed bya quick departure. Certainly nowhere near as devastating as Harvey. It might even wind up here in Houston.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Obviously compared to what you have experienced it is nothing but as far as wind goes it could be devastating.

But you're completely right at least it is fast moving. Plus this shift to the north hasn't happened much yet so who knows.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It may miss Florida completely with the exception of the Keys and the Panhandle. North portion of the Gulf should be on high alert now.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You may be right. Each model seems to Tell a little bit of a different story.

Regardless praying for those who potentially could be effected. Comparing it to Harvey won't really help anybody who loses their home due to this historic storm feel any better but I get your point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
185 mph winds will shake some timbers
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Johnathan and his wife are in St. Martin right now for their anniversary and in an emergency shelter from what I understand.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I appreciate you guys thinking of me down here. A couple of days ago Irma was headed straight at me here on the SE coast of the DR in La Romana, but she has tracked north and will now scrape the North coast. Not expecting much here now, but what we do get will start sometime in the "madruga" (predawn hours). I have about 20 extended family members hunkered down here since it is a lot safer than the tin roof wooden casitas they live in, but it's looking more and more like they could have stayed at home. They would probably differ, since in typical Dominican fashion, they have made a bit of a party of it.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I'm worried about my friends in Naples/Fort Myers/Naples even though Irma seems to have tracked east as of now. My buddy Josh and his family attempted to leave Cape Coral today. They made it 135 miles north in 6 hours before retreating because the gas stations had no fuel. I really hope it turns east.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I feel much mkre confident about the eastern track than I did last night and really believe the West coast will be spared for the most part. But the storm hasn't made that turn yet so we shall see. It's a big waiting game at this point.

Prayers for all effected, no doubt
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
The Georgia coast is already in evacuation as of yesterday. My sister in law is in school in savannah. They shut down today and made all students who lived on campus evacuate. They don't open until wed. next week. Its looking worse and worse for the area from miami to charelston.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Watching the Weather Channel this morning. Its weakened a little bit, but it appears that every major city in Florida is going to feel its impact, along with many areas of Georgia and South Carolina. The good news is, looking at the satellite picture right now, it is weakening a bit, the bands around the eyewall are not as organized and the eye is losing some of its structure.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
the westward path is both good and bad. Good in it avoids direct land fall with the larger cities in the SE of Florida. The bad news is the eastern edge of the storm, the strongest part of a hurricane, will go up the entire eastern portion of the state so Miami, West Palm Beach and even Orlando will see some crazy sustained winds. Western Florida isn't out of the woods by any means but it will be much more manageable as long as people aren't stupid and get their crap inside and all of that good stuff. My parent live on the east coast of Florida and are staying put. I am not sure if that is the wisest of choices but only time will tell.

I am cautiously optimistic for the safety of the house we own that is currently under contract to sell. I also think the most severe damage will be concentrated to south florida.

Like Sly alluded to earlier in this thread it is a fast mover so rain won't be the issue. There could be some storm surge issues in the south but other then that flooding shouldn't be a huge, widespread issue. This hurricane is just large and powerful so winds will be the story and how long it takes for the storm to lose steam once over the peninsula. I will have a long weekend here in Maryland watching from afar seeing how this this thing plays out for friends, family and my house down there in Florida.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Well the shift west doesn't seem go want to stop. A lot of our Tampa bay friends are fairly concerned but staying put. Trying not to worry about our home in tampa but that is much easier said than done.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
A lot of my friends decided to ride it out and are now stuck. My old house is in the mandatory evacuation area of Fort Myers. I heard from one friend who heard cops going by using their loudspeakers to tell people to get out now. It's looking very bad for SW Florida.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The "good news" is the storm is hanging out over Cuba far longer than forecasted which has caused significant weakening and pressure is rising pretty quickly according to the latest hurricane Hunter data. The next 48 hours will be stressful.

I've never wanted a weekend to end so quickly in my life.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
My in-laws are about an 1-1/2 hours north of Tampa. Both are in their eighties, but I think we'd have to physically pick them up and carry them out of their house to get them to leave. They are ready for this, no matter what happens, but we still are concerned. Prayers going up for all who have been and will be affected.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
We ended up driving over to east coast this morning to stay with my inlaws. This caught a lot of people on the west coast off guard and there a lot of people that didn't live here since the last major one hit in 2004. Alot of the shelters were full in Ft Myers/Port Charlotte quick and they were directing people to Northport which is somewhat of a drive. Thanks for the prayers and continue to pray.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Anxious to see what the damage looks like in daylight. The winds are definitely doing a number. Thankfully the flooding hasn't been that significant.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
All you guys with Florida connections how did you make out?

My parents on the east coast had some minor flooding but overall not too bad. They are without power.

Tampa dodged the bullet so I am hoping everything is good with our house. Our tenant left town as did our friend you lives across the street so still haven't gotten an update. But overall Naples and the keys really took the brunt of it all.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
My in-laws near ocala/crystal river lost power but said they have no damage. Very thankful this morning.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]