Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
*Disclaimer, I'm not posting this to gossip or be your religious tabloid service, but because of the LU connection.*

So, big news out of South Carolina this weekend. NewSpring Church, one of (if not the) largest churches in the SBC, has fired Perry Noble. You can do the search to find out why, but certain elements of his teaching could have warranted it to happen much sooner. I know some of you guys are big Perry Noble fans, but I've had a problem with him for quite some time.

But, replacing him on an interim basis will be LU's own Clayton King. He's got a big job ahead of him.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
According to what I've read, this didn't come down to theology and what he was teaching...prayers he gets his life together
I hope Perry publicly saying he has depended too much on alcohol will help open up conversations in church about addiction and substance abuse. It's a very normal thing unfortunately and what starts as something innocent can quickly compound into a problem. There's too much shame and guilt towards addiction from inside the church for many to step forward and admit it. Hopefully hearing that one of the most influential pastors in the country struggled with it normalizes the issue and allows people to get help.

On the other side of the coin, it's surprising that Newspring completely fired him. With their messaging that they consistently preach (no perfect people allowed, it's okay to not be okay, the best is yet to come, etc), I thought they'd do an extended leave of absence with the ability to assume his role once healthy again.

As for Clayton King, my guess is his role will be much more of a speaker/teacher than of a true lead pastor while they do their search. He's a great guy for them to have on their bench to pull in for a situation like this.

Lastly, for a communications standpoint, they communicated this perfectly. The statement from the church and from Perry was great. The announcement from stage to the church was framed in grace while still taking about hard truths.

As someone who follows church strategies and is in church communications, I'll be watching how they do this entire process very closely.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: On the other side of the coin, it's surprising that Newspring completely fired him. With their messaging that they consistently preach (no perfect people allowed, it's okay to not be okay, the best is yet to come, etc), I thought they'd do an extended leave of absence with the ability to assume his role once healthy again.
They had to, he's disqualified himself from the pastorate. The Bible is very clear on this in 1 Timothy and Titus.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]