Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
sorry to hear about this... prayers for his family/friends

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/l ... 8fa48.html
Liberty University student dies while hiking
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2016 12:15 pm | Updated: 1:35 pm, Mon May 9, 2016.
Eleanor Roy

A Liberty University student died Sunday at the Fallingwater Cascades National Scenic Trail on the Blue Ridge Parkway, according to friends and rescue officials.

Jonathan Veldhuyzen, 20, was found facedown in a body of water below the falls around 6 p.m. Sunday, his roommate, Joseph Elijah McGowan, said Monday.

Bedford Fire Capt. Matt Scott said the department received a report at 6:36 p.m. that a person possibly drowned at the site, located at mile marker 83 across the parkway from the Flat Top Mountain hiking trail entrance.

“While we were en route up there, we were informed the subject had fallen into a body of water and they had pulled the subject out and were performing CPR on him at the scene,” Scott said in a phone interview Monday morning.

He said the victim was dead when crews arrived.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I think there was another one just a month or go maybe? Regardless, kids need to find their thrills another way than leaving the trails and approaching the ledges of waterfalls. Perhaps the university can do a 5 - 7 minute documentary detailing the actions that lead to the most recent actions and show it in convo a few times a year. I know you won't be able to stop everyone, but maybe you can provide a counter-balance to the yearning to live life on the edge.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:I think there was another one just a month or go maybe? Regardless, kids need to find their thrills another way than leaving the trails and approaching the ledges of waterfalls. Perhaps the university can do a 5 - 7 minute documentary detailing the actions that lead to the most recent actions and show it in convo a few times a year. I know you won't be able to stop everyone, but maybe you can provide a counter-balance to the yearning to live life on the edge.
Not a bad idea, although it is certainly a phenomenom not unique to Liberty students. The history of Crabtree falls in particular is really troubling, with a death toll growing toward the century mark, yet nothing done so far has served to keep people from taking risks.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
There is a sign at the entrance to the Crabtree falls trail detailing the number of deaths over the years and what caused them. Probably everyone who has died there over the past 25-30 years read that sign before their final hike and thought that will never happen to me. I'm not sure you can ever convince young people that they could die doing what to them looks harmless.
As for this case, it doesn't sound like he was necessarily doing anything too risky according to his companions. Of course they weren't with him when he ended up in the water. The autopsy results should shed some light on what happened.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]