Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Lucas
That being homosexuality. Personally, I am married to a woman, and have never had any feelings towards another man. However, I do think that some people are born that way, and I don't feel like it's particularly wrong. I know this is a touchy subject with most, and this is one of the biggest complaints about the Christian faith. I don't think my marriage to my wife changes or diminishes if two guys down the street also get married.

I'm aware of what the Bible says, particularly 1 Corinthians 6:9 & Romans 1:26-27, but am I in the wrong to think that this is one issue that has seen a change with the times? Personally, I think it's better to be more accepting of others and to appreciate that two people have fallen in love, no matter the gender.

I imagine that I'll be the only one to feel this way as Liberty and it's views on LGBT have been in the news rather recently, but I just wanted to get another issue off my mind as I'm beginning my journey with Christ and I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the main issues.

Thanks in advance everyone!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Waiting for ATrain to chime in...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
No, not at all. ATrain is our resident...well, he can tell you his story. :wink:
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Lucas, I know you just joined, so this isn't really fair, but we've hashed this topic out many times and it can get pretty heated. You're not the only one who feels the way you do, but try not to let your culture dictate how you look at every issue.

There are many places where you can find solid answers to your questions, or make you think about it more deeply. If you'd like, I can recommend you some excellent books.

Here are also a couple videos to consider:
http://www.sebts.edu/mobile/faithandcul ... field.aspx

http://www.christopheryuan.com/main/index.html
By Lucas
Thanks, and I did take some time out to look at the history of this forum to see if such issues were raised, and so I must have just missed them completely and for that I do apologize.
By Jonathan Carone
This place is like a freaking drug. Once you take a hit you can't stop. But since this is a productive topic for a new Christian, I couldn't help it.

The idea of an issue being one that changes with time is a super slippery slope. That line of thinking suggests God's character is less than perfect and therefore changes and evolves with time. God's character has not and will not change, so the idea of God being more accepting of something now as opposed to 2000 years ago is a non-starter.

The thing that does change is the culture around Scripture. Many of the Levitical laws were cultural laws that can't and shouldn't be applied today. There are places in the New Testament that I think were cultural teachings that were specific to the people they were written to. Some will claim homosexuality falls under these cultural differences. I disagree with that. What this issue (and every issue really) comes down to is a knowledge and understanding of God's character. The Bible as a whole speaks to that. Culture will always change but God's character and person will never change.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
As Cider Jim alluded to, I am a Christian but I am the openly gay frequent poster. We have been through this discussion before, when I came out shortly after I finished grad school at LU:
https://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewto ... it=article

You are correct in your first paragraph. You have never had feelings towards another man because you are not gay. I have never had the lustful feelings towards another woman because I am not straight. My marriage to my husband does not diminish or degrade your marriage to your wife. Your love for her is just as strong before the Obergefell decision as it is now after the decision.

There is an argument that same-sex attracted individuals are supposed to abstain from sexual intimacy. I know many gay Christians who subscribe to that. For more information on that, and on the other argument that God can bless same-sex marriages, visit:
http://www.gaychristian.net

I would also recommend visiting http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/ for information about how we got to where we are today in regards to gay rights and the marriage of some evangelicals and politics.

Finally, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
CaroneDesigns wrote:This place is like a freaking drug. Once you take a hit you can't stop. But since this is a productive topic for a new Christian, I couldn't help it.

The idea of an issue being one that changes with time is a super slippery slope. That line of thinking suggests God's character is less than perfect and therefore changes and evolves with time. God's character has not and will not change, so the idea of God being more accepting of something now as opposed to 2000 years ago is a non-starter.

The thing that does change is the culture around Scripture. Many of the Levitical laws were cultural laws that can't and shouldn't be applied today. There are places in the New Testament that I think were cultural teachings that were specific to the people they were written to. Some will claim homosexuality falls under these cultural differences. I disagree with that. What this issue (and every issue really) comes down to is a knowledge and understanding of God's character. The Bible as a whole speaks to that. Culture will always change but God's character and person will never change.
I'd echo that.
By Lucas
ATrain wrote:As Cider Jim alluded to, I am a Christian but I am the openly gay frequent poster. We have been through this discussion before, when I came out shortly after I finished grad school at LU:
https://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewto ... it=article

You are correct in your first paragraph. You have never had feelings towards another man because you are not gay. I have never had the lustful feelings towards another woman because I am not straight. My marriage to my husband does not diminish or degrade your marriage to your wife. Your love for her is just as strong before the Obergefell decision as it is now after the decision.

There is an argument that same-sex attracted individuals are supposed to abstain from sexual intimacy. I know many gay Christians who subscribe to that. For more information on that, and on the other argument that God can bless same-sex marriages, visit:
http://www.gaychristian.net

I would also recommend visiting http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/ for information about how we got to where we are today in regards to gay rights and the marriage of some evangelicals and politics.

Finally, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Well, I just read all that, and I can see arguments for both sides. Truth be told, I was not expecting someone on this forum to be a homosexual, or at least not have the courage to admit it.

I'm just going to let that whole thread sit with me for awhile and think about it. I'm no where near versed enough to be able to quote this and that in terms of what exactly the Bible says about God's view on [Insert Topic]. However, as someone that has made a commitment to really put effort into God and Christianity, this is just one of the many things I'm trying to wrap my head around.

You're gay, and I don't (yet) consider myself a Christian. Looks like we are the Outliers in this group, but I would also commend everyone else as they seem to genuinely have a very open mind and are able to look past all of our differences. I will say that so far in my "New Christian Studies" that I've been doing during my free time (talking with apologetics, reading, trying to pray), I do feel like the most basic theme in the Bible, is relationships and love. The commandments are all about love and relationships, which leads me to believe that while I don't have the same feelings, or struggles are you, it doesn't mean mean that you are doing God's purpose.

A ton of respect to you for coming up on here 7 years ago, and a lot of respect to the FF Nation for keeping an open mind and heart and looking past the differences.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My former Lynchburg pastor is the now the first Baptist pastor in America (I think) to ordain gay deacons. He's pastoring the First Baptist Church in Memphis.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Lucas wrote:That being homosexuality. Personally, I am married to a woman, and have never had any feelings towards another man. However, I do think that some people are born that way, and I don't feel like it's particularly wrong. I know this is a touchy subject with most, and this is one of the biggest complaints about the Christian faith. I don't think my marriage to my wife changes or diminishes if two guys down the street also get married.

I'm aware of what the Bible says, particularly 1 Corinthians 6:9 & Romans 1:26-27, but am I in the wrong to think that this is one issue that has seen a change with the times? Personally, I think it's better to be more accepting of others and to appreciate that two people have fallen in love, no matter the gender.

I imagine that I'll be the only one to feel this way as Liberty and it's views on LGBT have been in the news rather recently, but I just wanted to get another issue off my mind as I'm beginning my journey with Christ and I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the main issues.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Great resource .... ask away ..... http://www.gotquestions.org/
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]