Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wife having involved back surgery
Company being bought by 'The Evil Empire'
Big fun
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
done
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Prayers.

When did google start selling drugs? I chortle audibly.
Ha. IN my world its Pfizer!

Thanks for the prayers. I asked my boss today that since I'm spending next week in a hospital do I have to count that as vacation?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Mrs Purple's surgery is over and she is home being an ornery patient. The Dr said it was much worse than suspected BUT he'd seen it before and knew what to do. Her short term will be a lot of painful rehab but her long term prognosis is almost rosey
And I have an interview Tuesday
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Cool stuff. Thanks for the update.
Thanks for the prayers. It's nice to have a World Class surgeon who is also a strong Christian man. He prayed with us pre op. Prayed with me post op. Prayed with Mrs Purple every time he made rounds. Then called to pray with her on the phone.
On a side note, if anyone needs back surgery I would highly recommend this guy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Mrs Purple's surgery is over and she is home being an ornery patient. The Dr said it was much worse than suspected BUT he'd seen it before and knew what to do. Her short term will be a lot of painful rehab but her long term prognosis is almost rosey
I guess you can count it a blessing then that she is very familiar with the rehab process. Backs are not the same as knees though, as I´m sure you are finding out if you didn´t know already. Prayers for her, and for your interview.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Mrs Purple's surgery is over and she is home being an ornery patient. The Dr said it was much worse than suspected BUT he'd seen it before and knew what to do. Her short term will be a lot of painful rehab but her long term prognosis is almost rosey
I guess you can count it a blessing then that she is very familiar with the rehab process. Backs are not the same as knees though, as I´m sure you are finding out if you didn´t know already. Prayers for her, and for your interview.
Thanks! This is her 2nd so she's familiar with it. Same Dr did the first one and it lasted about 10 years. He seems to feel this one will last a lot longer, which is nice. The best comparison is an ankle. Sometimes it's better to have a broken ankle (basically what she has this time) as opposed to a severely sprained ankle (what she had last time). This time at least they were able to put in hardware they couldn't last time. We will just have to leave earlier if we fly anywhere. The TSA will want to know why the metal detector keeps going off :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Thanks! This is her 2nd so she's familiar with it. Same Dr did the first one and it lasted about 10 years. He seems to feel this one will last a lot longer, which is nice. The best comparison is an ankle. Sometimes it's better to have a broken ankle (basically what she has this time) as opposed to a severely sprained ankle (what she had last time). This time at least they were able to put in hardware they couldn't last time. We will just have to leave earlier if we fly anywhere. The TSA will want to know why the metal detector keeps going off :D
Your doc can give her a card she can carry with her explaining that she has metallic implants and where they are. It´expedites things if the detectors go off. Dr. Ghondi gave me one after he used half a hardware store to put my left tibia together following my motorcycle accident in 1999. I guess I have flown 50 or so times since then and I can´t recall actually triggering the alarm but maybe 5 or 6 times.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Heck no! Do you how much fun I will have?!? 'What's that officer? Her? Nope. I have no idea who she is. But she keeps following me!'
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I really need to find a new line of work
Or direct counterpart
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
You may need to get in line. Genworth just announced they're going to stop selling Life insurance and annuities. Lots of locals will be out of work very soon.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:You may need to get in line. Genworth just announced they're going to stop selling Life insurance and annuities. Lots of locals will be out of work very soon.
Yeah. I saw that this AM. Having been through it all before I'm very sympathetic to those concerned and my thoughts and prayers go out to them. Lynchburg is a GREAT place to have a job. A difficult place to find lots of different ones
But to be cheesy. I have a great wife I get to come home to everyday. And when the final bell tolls that is the more important thing.
I've tried hard in my adult life to realize that my job is what I do not who I am
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I am shocked this quick spirally down of our economy has not been more of a campaign issue. Nearly every day it seems like we are hearing about more layoffs. And the bad news is for those let go, typically it means an even more crowded pool of qualified people looking for a few precious jobs. My wife was laid off last month and to the outside world her prospects of finding another gig similar to her last one that allowed her to work from home is rather slow. But we have been through now six layoffs between my wife & I in the last 13 years and God always provides.

I do know that this is not just a Lynchburg or Houston issue. It is global right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Yeah, I am shocked this quick spirally down of our economy has not been more of a campaign issue. Nearly every day it seems like we are hearing about more layoffs. And the bad news is for those let go, typically it means an even more crowded pool of qualified people looking for a few precious jobs. My wife was laid off last month and to the outside world her prospects of finding another gig similar to her last one that allowed her to work from home is rather slow. But we have been through now six layoffs between my wife & I in the last 13 years and God always provides.

I do know that this is not just a Lynchburg or Houston issue. It is global right now.
Yeah. My wife and I are starting to work on the premise that our next jobs will pay us less than our last job. Although Mrs Purple's Driving Academy could boost he back up. I just don't see jobs around LB where I can make what I make now. And I am at the lower middle end of the spectrum in my industry
On a cool/ironic note my dad was just recognized by his company for 55 years of service! Heck, any more 55 MONTHS is an accomplishment!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Definitely praying for you and Sly. I also saw the news about Genworth and can't help but breathe a sigh of relief I choose to stick with my line of work and take a promotion in Norfolk (which then gave me my choice of a move up to Boston, Dallas or Denver) than to return Lynchburg and work for them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Soooo.....anyone hiring?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Soooo.....anyone hiring?
usajobs.gov
jobs.virginia.gov
ssa.gov/careers

Start there
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]