Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
As many (if not all) of you know, I have been less than thrilled about being in Dallas. I just got an e-mail my application for a GS-13 at headquarters in Baltimore was referred, so hopefully this means an interview and offer soon...

I just ask for your prayers right now, even as I have gotten used to the fact I am living in Dallas and Texas and don't find it to be the worst place in the world to be...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:As many (if not all) of you know, I have been less than thrilled about being in Dallas. I just got an e-mail my application for a GS-13 at headquarters in Baltimore was referred, so hopefully this means an interview and offer soon...

I just ask for your prayers right now, even as I have gotten used to the fact I am living in Dallas and Texas and don't find it to be the worst place in the world to be...
Let it be a lesson to you. Give a place a year or so before you judge it.
As a member of the :flamingdevil I hope you end up staying in Texas to counter the :koolaid drinker down there!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure if you were in Houston you would just love Texas!

In all seriousness I hope it works out man. Sounds like a good opportunity.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:If he were in Austin, he'd never want to move again. Dallas? I can understand the wandering eye.
While Austin has been copying Portland's vibe for years, truthfully its just hard with both of our families on the East Coast. All our leave time seems to be dedicated to flying there and back on holidays...

As for Dallas, the city itself is really not that bad. Truthfully though, if we were to stay in Texas, I wouldn't mind living in Galveston County (Jamaica Beach seemed nice when we drove through there) or San Antonio.

PS...Sly, no one in Dallas cares about Houston. I just make comments to annoy you :P
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
"Living" and "Texas" just don't seem to be compatible, when used in the same sentence. Gotta admit though, sounds better than Baltimore. Hope things work out for the best AT. Praying.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Well, I finally got the e-mail today that even though I was "highly qualified," they went with someone else.

Dave is waiting to hear on whether or not he gets a job offer at FDA HQ in Rockville, MD. Your continued prayers are appreciated.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I'm holding off on prayer for you at the moment. I think you secretly love Texas and will be miserable when you leave. I say you look to San Antonio or Houston. I'm sure Sly could rent out his basement
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I'm holding off on prayer for you at the moment. I think you secretly love Texas and will be miserable when you leave. I say you look to San Antonio or Houston. I'm sure Sly could rent out his basement
The food in Houston was very good (Sly also gave me a great recommendation down there, although the service at that restaurant was horrible the night we went - food was still amazing though) and I did enjoy visiting San Antonio and New Braunfels. Being within walking distance to work (though I drive) and his short commute are nice aspects as well. If I could do what I do in either of those places, maybe I'd consider trying it out before going back east.

However, we've already got flights booked to Seattle, three to VA and possibly one to NY...and that's before June. After having to spend the night in Atlanta on 12/23 and nearly miss the big Christmas gathering with the family for the second year in a row, I'm done.

My transfer request form is 99.9% filled out. The only questions are, what do I put as my available start date and when do I turn it in.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
IMHO you are probably going to have to put some time in where you are. One of the things I'm finding is that I have a lot of different employers the last 3 years because of contract work. That sends a signal, wrong in this case, that I'm a job hopper. Since your move to Dallas is relatively recent you may be running into the same thing
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:IMHO you are probably going to have to put some time in where you are. One of the things I'm finding is that I have a lot of different employers the last 3 years because of contract work. That sends a signal, wrong in this case, that I'm a job hopper. Since your move to Dallas is relatively recent you may be running into the same thing
Meh, it'll be the same employer, just a different office. I actually am doing the same job I was before I came to Dallas, just I'm federal now instead of state (I was with the Commonwealth for 5 years, 2.5 in Roanoke and 2.5 in Norfolk - the move from Roanoke to Norfolk was a promotion). In federal employment, at least w/ SSA and FDA, once you're somewhere for a year you can generally hardship anywhere that there is an office w/ space for you. Two of the people I was hired with have already moved back east.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just throwing it out there. Even if it's the same it's a different office and that person may be concerned you'll want to move again. Just food for thought
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Just throwing it out there. Even if it's the same it's a different office and that person may be concerned you'll want to move again. Just food for thought
True...but at all the mentoring events I've been too, I've been told "mobility is key," if you want to move up in SSA.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Just throwing it out there. Even if it's the same it's a different office and that person may be concerned you'll want to move again. Just food for thought
True...but at all the mentoring events I've been too, I've been told "mobility is key," if you want to move up in SSA.
That's 100% true. Meaning if you want to move up the ladder you will probably have to move zip codes. Back in the day when they weren't laying off people every 6 months I had an opportunity to move into Corporate But I didn't want to move to Delaware. Had I wanted to be mobile I'd probably be higher on the corporate ladder. However, I'd be living in DE. I'm hoping things shake out well this time then I'll probably look at a 'hardship' transfer to the SW maybe even Texas!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ATrain wrote:
That's 100% true. Meaning if you want to move up the ladder you will probably have to move zip codes. Back in the day when they weren't laying off people every 6 months I had an opportunity to move into Corporate But I didn't want to move to Delaware. Had I wanted to be mobile I'd probably be higher on the corporate ladder. However, I'd be living in DE. I'm hoping things shake out well this time then I'll probably look at a 'hardship' transfer to the SW maybe even Texas!
And all my zip code relocations have been due to moving up the ladder :D
Now I just want someone to get a promotion so I can do a lateral.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:As I've mentioned before, eventually everyone winds up here.
And one day there'll be enough of us here to ruin it for you :twisted:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:eventually everyone winds up here.
Yes, either in this life or in purgatory. :wink: (just kidding).
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Well, my application to Boston got referred. I'll still be just a GS12, but it would be in a different component and is a job I would probably enjoy...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Well, my application to Boston got referred. I'll still be just a GS12, but it would be in a different component and is a job I would probably enjoy...
Being happy in your job is a blessing
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]