Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By badger74
Registration Days Posts
We retired to Lynchburg 6 months ago looking forward to a long well-earned retirement. Last week my wife got the shock of our lives--a preliminary diagnosis of pancreatic cancer--the worst of the worst. We are going up to UVa Hospital for a biopsy of the suspected tumor this Tuesday 7/14. Please pray for her. We were devastated by this news. If it was caught early enough or it is benign she has a good chance to recover. Otherwise the outlook is bleak.

Thank you

Frank & Barbara
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
UVA has a great team up there, my wife has been seen by several doctors at UVA the last couple months with some recent illness. While the facilities might not be the nicest, the doctors are excellent. And if you feel like things aren't progressing there, don't hesitate to get referred to Johns Hopkins or Duke.

These times are really tough and very frustrating. Pray without ceasing, seek strength and healing in Christ, stay in His Word, and lean heavily on your church family. And in all things, rejoice.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Praying that the prognosis is favorable. UVA does have excellent doctors, but if things don't go well there, Duke does have an excellent cancer team, my grandfather was successfull treated there about 20 years ago for an aggressive throat cancer.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You can certainly count on our prayer support, badger74. I shudder even thinking if such devastating news were to come to my wife & I. Praying God gives your doctors wisdom and that her pancreas is completely healed.

The best cancer facility on the planet is here in Houston at MD Anderson. Let me know if you are referred down here.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Thanks everyone. We got good news in that the cancer tumor has so far not spread and is operable. Only about 20% of such cancers meet those criteria--the rest usually result in death within a year. We were impressed with UVa staff and will meet for her surgical consult Monday--again very fast track. Hoping she is either on chemo or in the operating room this week. Then there is a decent chance of a full recovery. The operation is very long/complex--about 7 hours and recovery slow but steady. It is called The Whipple and her surgeon has done 100s of them. Best in state.
frank
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
thx for the update... glad to hear it... will keep on praying
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Barb had surgery at UVa on Tues. Lots of pain all week but better day by day. Had 1st solid food today (8/2). Better yet her Dr came in Saturday with her post op biopsy results and no cancer was found anywhere outside the original tumor on the pancreas. She will have 6 mos of follow=up chemo just as insurance and regular checks. But so far it looks very good--she beat the odds.

Thanks to all

Frank
Last edited by badger74 on August 2nd, 2015, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
AWESOME

thanks for the update!

will keep praying
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote:Barb had surgery at UVa on Tues. Lots of pain all week but better day by day. Had 1st solid food today (8/2). Better yet her Dr came in Saturday with her post op biopsy results and no cancer was found anywhere outside the original tumor on the pancreas. She will have 6 mos of follow=up chemo just as insurance and regular checks. But so far it looks very good--she beat the odds.

Thanks to all

Frank
Praise the Lord!!!
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Follow-up. After a successful surgery and 5 mos of chemo my wife has been declared free of Pancreatic Cancer as of now. As many may know this outcome beats the odds which were at least 10:1 against. Now just need to keep that going for 5 years. Thanks to everyone for their support.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Glad to hear it! My father-in-law had a scare about 5 years ago. Believe it or not a kidney stone may have saved his life, since they caught the cancer early. Continued prayers.
By Lucas
I hate to hear about the original diagnosis, but I'm over the moon about outcome.

With that being said, I will keep you on your wife in my prayers.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Awesome news badger! Write 03/24/21 prominently throughout your house and pray over it as we all pray over you and your wife
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]