Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
I'm nearly done with the coursework for my PhD. Will definitely be done in December. My department is currently considering removing the dissertation requirement and replacing it with 2-3 published articles, one of which can be a literature review. If that's the case, it will likely be announced in September. I'm the 2nd author on a paper in a field outside of mine, but that may be counted anyways as it's related. My lit review is essentially done and would just need to be accepted by a journal. If the requirement ends up being just 2 articles, I may actually be done with my PhD in only 2.5 years. A third article would likely take me into the spring.

The last few months have been interesting on the health front. I had a major bout with the stomach flu in February where I literally threw out both shoulders and my left hip from the violence of the vomiting. I also had an issue with my GERD that required an ER visit, but that worked out well as they ran some tests and showed me that I had been misdiagnosed with a hiatal hernia 20 years ago and actually have a treatable condition.

I regained some of the weight I had dropped and decided to motivate myself by signing up for the 2015 Honolulu Marathon. I'm down about 15lbs since I started running and am routinely doing 20+ miles of running each week. I've gone back to a nearly completely vegan diet where I eat vegan at home but will eat whatever is available if I'm at a restaurant/bar or someone's house. Ultimately I'm hoping to at least try to run one ultramarathon with a pipe dream of finishing each of the Leadville 100, Western States 100, and Badwater 135.

I taught my first undergrad class this spring, though not in my field, and it went so well that they offered me another class for the fall 2 months before the semester was over. Long term I am looking at being a professor full time, with the hopes of landing a spot immediately upon finishing my program. UH has a great record of placing people, so I've got a good shot there. What I would really like is to teach somewhere like Copenhagen for a few years and then take the combination of US and EU experiences and knowledge and apply that to helping develop educational systems and policies in 3rd world and developing countries.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]