Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:The question here isn't did God create the earth, but DID he do it in 6 literal days.
Right, which is why what you believe about Adam so important when thinking through this.

In my opinion, the most difficult thing young-earthers have to settle is astronomy and the light we are observing from very distant events/places. It's just something I don't know can be explained yet.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
In the context of discussions within the church, I've encountered a lot of folks that don't know how to disagree on such matters. I've come to realize that I can say to a young-earther, " I don't agree with you," while stopping short of saying, "You are wrong." It's the folks on the young-earth side that seem to cry blasphemy and heresy in response to these disagreements. The creation topic is definitely an interesting one, but I don't think it merits the controversy.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ATrain wrote:The question here isn't did God create the earth, but DID he do it in 6 literal days.
You are correct Sir.
Ex Nihilo is what is important. After that it's just a fun exercise. Can God create light that is already 50,000 years old? Yep. But why?
You'd have to ask Him. And I say Why not?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
You are correct Sir.
Ex Nihilo is what is important. After that it's just a fun exercise. Can God create light that is already 50,000 years old? Yep. But why?
You'd have to ask Him. And I say Why not?
Simple We have absolutes in discovering the beauty and wisdom of His creation. Using as a starting point 'God Created 4000 year old light' doesn't help that out. Ask Galileo how that type of mentality worked out for him
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
God created light, or rather said let there be light. Did it have age? He is outside of time, so it didn't matter. How old was Adam when God created him? I don't know the answer to the days/time issue. I don't think it is necessary to know the answer. God said he created all those things and that is enough for me. I think it is wrong though for Christians to try to put God in a box and say this is what he did and who he is because that's as far as science will let us understand. We are so out of our league when we try to answer those questions.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
I don't know about the light coming from space part, but from what I understand, the trees in the Garden were mature enough to bare fruit, animals reproduce and Adam and Eve were old enough to walk, talk and take care of themselves. So I think that is where the apparent age argument comes from. I start confusing myself when trying to comprehend this so I'll just stop there.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:http://www.gotquestions.org/search.php? ... earch.y=13

http://www.gotquestions.org/light-first-sun-fourth.html
Another perspective, which has worked with some of my friends, is that light had already existed. Prior to the verse the reads "Let there be light" or "Let there be the great light," you read that darkness covered the earth and that the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface. If God was hovering over the earth, you could get a shadow effect, leaving the surface dark.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's the thing...God always was, always is, and always will be even after we all die off and go to our eternal destination. He was never created because he already existed and continues to exist outside of the finite nature of time and space as we humans (as finite beings) conceive it. To say that God created himself would take away from his infinitude
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
https://answersingenesis.org/age-of-the ... ung-earth/

There is some really good articles like this one on the Answers In Genesis site. I've made it a point recently to really brush up on my knowledge in this area. There is a lot out there that Modern Science doesn't have an answer for and has been wrong on many occasions. Always dig deeper with these type of subjects and don't believe everything you read off Yahoo News.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:https://answersingenesis.org/age-of-the ... ung-earth/

There is some really good articles like this one on the Answers In Genesis site. I've made it a point recently to really brush up on my knowledge in this area. There is a lot out there that Modern Science doesn't have an answer for and has been wrong on many occasions. Always dig deeper with these type of subjects and don't believe everything you read off Yahoo News.
Yes, modern science has been wrong before, but so was the church when it interpreted the Bible to say the sun went around the earth. Thus why its ok to agree to disagree.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:https://answersingenesis.org/age-of-the ... ung-earth/

That's why I based my belief on how Rabbi's I studied under comprehended it. I mean they've studied it longer than Christians have
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:So if God is light and he created light then did he create Himself?
I don't know, but maybe you are on to something with light? :idea:
By Neo
Dr. Russell Humphreys, Starlight and Time. For those interested in a scientific explanation.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Or why Starlight and Time is erroneous
http://www.reasons.org/articles/the-unr ... t-and-time

This may have changed since 1999, but so has Humphreys work:

"To our knowledge, not one person competent in general relativity and cosmology theory who has examined Starlight and Time has given a "pass" to this theory12. Despite the lack of expert corroboration of his work, Humphreys continues to insist on the validity of his demonstrably false theory. Unfortunately, most of the major young-earth organizations13 are continuing to follow Humphreys and are ignoring the demonstrations of the falsity of his theory which have arisen from both inside and outside the young-earth movement."
By Neo
There are numerous other cosmologies that account for the speed of light and passage of time though. The problem is that most of us don't grasp the flexible nature of time at all.

Humphreys himself admits that his cosmology is likely imperfect, but one explanation of how such a thing could have occurred beyond the model currently sanctioned by the government science complex.
By Neo
Hugh Ross is a joke, he is like a moderate Republican, hoping the democrats will like him bc he's "bipartisan".

I've met Humphreys and Ross. I've actually seen them debate. Ross hides behind government scientists when he can't actually refute evidence for young earth.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:Hugh Ross is a joke, he is like a moderate Republican, hoping the democrats will like him bc he's "bipartisan".

I've met Humphreys and Ross. I've actually seen them debate. Ross hides behind government scientists when he can't actually refute evidence for young earth.
Neo, this is indicative of the entire problem with the creation debate. It's not enough for many folks in your camp to simply disagree with Hugh Ross. You go as far as calling him a "joke." Hovind labeled him as an "oddball," I believe Ham called him a "heretic." Ross has also been dubbed a blasphemer.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Funny thing is undergrad is young earth young earth while seminary says there's a bunch of plausible ideas.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
comet wrote:
Neo wrote:Hugh Ross is a joke, he is like a moderate Republican, hoping the democrats will like him bc he's "bipartisan".

Neo, this is indicative of the entire problem with the creation debate. It's not enough for many folks in your camp to simply disagree with Hugh Ross. You go as far as calling him a "joke." Hovind labeled him as an "oddball," I believe Ham called him a "heretic." Ross has also been dubbed a blasphemer.
To be fair, people on the other side of the debate do the same to people like Humphreys.

Also neo, what is wrong with government scientists?
By comet
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:To be fair, people on the other side of the debate do the same to people like Humphreys.
Fair enough! It just has to stop. I just don't see Ross tossing up the personal attacks the way he receives them. But you have a great point in the general sense.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We can all speculate and debate the age of the earth, and disagree (preferably without being disagreeable) all we want, but really the exact age of the earth is something that we really will never know until we get on the other side of glory and get a chance to ask the question to the Only One who knows the answer
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
comet wrote:
ATrain wrote:To be fair, people on the other side of the debate do the same to people like Humphreys.
Fair enough! It just has to stop. I just don't see Ross tossing up the personal attacks the way he receives them. But you have a great point in the general sense.
I agree that it does have to stop. Also, the attitudes of some young earth creationists remind me of this joke:
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]