Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Large churches have resources that smaller ones don't. They're able to have the flashy kids ministry lessons that look like it's out of VeggieTales or Disney. They can do events that serve both the community and the church in ways that are professional and smoother because they have the resources to devote to it where a small church is scraping to get by. There's nothing wrong with the small church, but after growing up in a small church, I'd never want to be a part of one again unless it was a church plant.
fan00 wrote:Funny, I grew up in a mega church and now much prefer my small church. To each his own, I suppose.
There's no one size fits all church. And that's the beauty of it.

The church I work at averages 1800-2000 people on the weekend, but our largest room only seats 500 comfortable. We're able to leverage "megachurch" resources and have three unique worship environments that feel closer to a smaller church.
I have the privilege of pastoring a small campus of a multi-site church and I'm not sure I'd want to get much bigger than than 150 we have attending now. If we continue to grow, it would be time to commission a crew to plant another campus.

We may not have the resources to do like some of the bigger churches but it's amazing what can happen with a small group of passionate people in terms of serving the community.

Each of the large church and the small church have their problems - but not having resources as a smaller church isn't an excuse. I'd actually lump it in as a positive as it forces you to use what you have wisely and have much more dependance on a great big God.
ALUmnus wrote:Because the church is all about ME!!

If you are implying that people who have a preference for a smaller or larger church are missing the point, I totally disagree. I know personally, having grown up in a megachurch, I would never choose to attend another one. A short list of some reasons include: not having the accountability for attendance. I am 28 and single......so I go to church alone. Walking in, walking out, not speaking to anyone, and no one knowing whether I came or not is not for me. Also, I cannot STAND to see money spent frivolously on things such as stage props for giant ipods used in illustrations and other things of the sort when that money could be spent much much more responsibly by feeding starving people, or buying school supplies for hurting families....

I don't think church is all about me, but I will choose a church that I feel like I can grow in, be held accountable in, plug in to (and not just plug in with a small group of 10 members of the 9238032841824 members that attend), and mostly...that isn't a production or show.... but a chance to worship, learn, grow, and serve.
justagirl wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:Because the church is all about ME!!

If you are implying that people who have a preference for a smaller or larger church are missing the point, I totally disagree. I know personally, having grown up in a megachurch, I would never choose to attend another one. A short list of some reasons include: not having the accountability for attendance. I am 28 and single......so I go to church alone. Walking in, walking out, not speaking to anyone, and no one knowing whether I came or not is not for me. Also, I cannot STAND to see money spent frivolously on things such as stage props for giant ipods used in illustrations and other things of the sort when that money could be spent much much more responsibly by feeding starving people, or buying school supplies for hurting families....

I don't think church is all about me, but I will choose a church that I feel like I can grow in, be held accountable in, plug in to (and not just plug in with a small group of 10 members of the 9238032841824 members that attend), and mostly...that isn't a production or show.... but a chance to worship, learn, grow, and serve.
I know some do, but not all megachurches are the production you're thinking of. We actually try pretty hard not to feel produced with stuff like that.
I passively attended mega churches for 20 years: 'by passively', I mean I attended every Sunday and most Wednesdays, but was never really involved or engaged. Church was more like a 'spectator sport' for me.

But 16 years ago, I visited a smaller, inner-city church in Lynchburg, where I have plugged in as a Sunday school teacher, deacon, committee member, and cook and am obviously much more involved.

Obviously, I prefer a smaller church environment.
Cider Jim wrote:I passively attended mega churches for 20 years: 'by passively', I mean I attended every Sunday and most Wednesdays, but was never really involved or engaged. Church was more like a 'spectator sport' for me.

But 16 years ago, I visited a smaller, inner-city church in Lynchburg, where I have plugged in as a Sunday school teacher, deacon, committee member, and cook and am obviously much more involved.

Obviously, I prefer a smaller church environment.
i.e. You took over and are know the Great Prophet of the Cider Cult :D
I don't mind megachurches at all. I think SJ brings up a great point that they are able to do things, event and financially wise, that smaller churches aren't able to do. I'm been blessed to be involved in my second church plant in 5 years. The first church is pretty healthy and growing. River Church is seeing similar things. What I think makes a difference is when megachurches get involved with smaller churches. TRBC has helped us in ways that smaller churches couldn't. We have also been fortunate to partner with churches in the 700-1000 attendance range as well. My point is, I love seeing the local church work together, no matter the size. I think that is the point that is often missed because we can be territorial. We're experiencing some of that in Madison Heights. In just two years we're the third largest church. Not because we're better or have more money, we're different. Some people do not like that. I say, when the Spirit of God is moving and changing people, ride that wave.
A few musings:

The YouTube clip referenced above was produced by one of the nation's largest megachurches (are you familiar with a guy named Andy Stanley?). It was created about 5 years ago as a self-critique of the rapidly growing but formulaic multi-site phenomenon.

Liberty alum Ed Stetzer is quick to point out that no matter what the church size, research indicates that you never really get to know more than 120 people. In a smaller church, that presents a wider cross section of ages and walks of life. In a larger church, it tends to match up with affinities and folks in similar life stages. Both have their advantages over the other based primarily on personal preference.

I find it interesting that this Megachurch vs. Small Church conversation is happening. Nationally the big debate is Megachurch vs. House Church. The latter has been all the rage the past couple of years now that the multi-site craze is reaching a saturation point.

And finally, it is all about finding your opportunity to serve. I actually prefer a megachurch for my family beause it allows me more opportunities to serve than at the smaller church where I was involved before our transition. At our main campus where I am involved as a deacon, we average roughly 5000-6000 on Sundays in worship and 4500-5000 in life groups. We have a couple of smaller campuses nearby where those who enjoy the more intimate worship experience can connect while enjoying the resources of the larger campus. My wife & I lead the 7th grade department at our main campus. We had a high of 125 7th graders on Promotion Sunday but typically average 70-90 most Sundays. We are able to pour into kids who typically have had little to no discipleship in their lives. The list goes on & on of opportunities to serve that would be tough to find in most smaller churches where I have served in the past especially inside the homeschool community. The point being that if you feel most comfortable diving in at a small church that is awesome. But just because you have some folks who like to remain anonymous in a big church, it doesn't diminish the serving opportunities.
I go to a mega church in dc but I don't feel like it is. Everybody has there preferences. I am of the opinion that once a church reaches a certain point to continue to multiply. You'll have the resources of a big church but you still keep it a small church feel. But there isn't a right or wrong church as long as you're preaching the gospel .
thepostman wrote:I go to a mega church in dc but I don't feel like it is. Everybody has there preferences. I am of the opinion that once a church reaches a certain point to continue to multiply. You'll have the resources of a big church but you still keep it a small church feel. But there isn't a right or wrong church as long as you're preaching the gospel .
You need to check out National Community Church. Mark Batterson is the pastor there. They're doing great things.
I have served professionally in churches of 800+, 300+, and 150+. I have attended a church of 5,000 + and currently attend a church of 1500+. The size of the church doesn't matter.

I have known a number of "anti-megachurch" acquaintances. Often they claim that mega churches are "superficial." More often than not, their own personal needs and/or desires taints their perspective of "mega-churches." There are certainly "superficial" mega churches... but there are also "superficial" small churches. The "us four and no more" mentality IS superficiality. The ironic thing is that no one really claims to believe "us four and no more." It is their actions which reveal their core convictions. At one church I served, I was asked by a long time member: "What can we do to get young families back in the church." It was this same individual who time and time again expressed objections and voted against changes to the church culture.

Some things I strongly believe: God uses different kinds of churches to reach different kinds of people. The health of a church has nothing to do with its size. All churches should desire to be larger and should be intentional and missional about getting there. Church members are superficial when they insist on their preferences: (i.e. being entertained, wanting to "know everyone," etc.).
justagirl wrote:[youtube]
[/youtube]

This should make my position fairly clear :)
The video made me laugh, but mostly because much of my experience with the formulaic approach to worship it depicts has been not in megachurches, but in small churches trying to duplicate their perception of a megachurch service. The musical talent and technical equipment/expertise are just not as good and the pastoral staff or volunteer leaders may not fit the stereotypes quite as well.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]