Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Hey gang just wanted to ask for your prayers for my dad. Time warner who owns my dads company (Turner Broadcasting) is "streamlining" their employee base and offering buyouts to employees who have been with the company for over 10 years and are over the age of 55. My dad has been with the company for 37 years and he is eligible for the voluntary buyout.The caveat is that there will be layoffs following the buyout which my dad doesn't want to be caught in. He's a prime target for layoffs because he makes a decent salary and he's older. The buyout is a good one. 2 years salary and all that jazz. Thankfully my parents have been very wise financially and this will not hurt them too much but my dad is not at a point in his life that he wants to retire. My brother is still in college and about to get married and my mom hasn't worked since I was born. My dad will probably set out looking for a new job here in the next year whenever his buyout actually comes into effect. He's been there for so long that I am sure he is nervous about looking for a new job. Just please keep him and my mom in your prayers as they make this decision and move on to the next chapter in my dads career. Thanks guys!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As someone who has been searching for over a year, it is tough going back into the job search pool, especially after being in a position as long as your dad has...will certainly be praying
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I understand your dad's predicament. I would suggest that the prospects will get worse before they get better especially if the proposed Comcast-Time Warner merger occurs. This definitely is worthy of lots of prayer. Lifting up one for him asking for wisdom right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
My industry has 60% fewer people than 5 years ago. My company just went through a lay off. It's never easy. The one piece of advice is that 'A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush'
But change is tough, especially after 37 years
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Update: Dad has decided its a much wiser option to take the buyout and start new since the layoffs that would follow would most likely include him. His main concern now is finding as job he loves like the one he's been doing. He wouldn't survive at a desk job(he's an electrical/broadcast engineer) because he loves hands on work. I'm praying that he finds a job he loves even more. He's already been in touch with In touch ministries(pun not intended but a happy accident) and he may work with them. it would be a significant pay cut but thankfully my parents have been very frugal through the years and will be alright. Especially if he starts right as he finishes with CNN. thank you for your continued prayers!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He could atually consider consulting as a broadcast engineer for churches at large. With everyone investing in gear and not having a clue how to operate it at churches across the country, there is definitely a market. He ought to send a resume to church headhunter William Vanderbloemen.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
He actually has been retained at least until the end of the year. He's working on several projects vital to the companies infrastructure.(Radio coms and satellite systems etc.) He did sign the severance/early retirement deal(two years pay after last day and Full health benefits) so whenever they decide that he's not needed (which could be as late as July of next year) he'll start looking for a new job. He's talked about going to get cisco systems certified back at his alma mater of Southern Poly. and then looking for a job. God has been good. its funny. The vice president of Turner has basically told him that he wants to keep him as long as HR will let him stay because the VP feels as though he is a necessity. at least in the near future. My dad is actually pretty close to being able to retire so it would be a huge blessing for my mom and him to be able to continue until july 1 of next year. He'd be paid up until the year he was eligible for SS and that would be a huge blessing knowing they have protection while he looks for another job. Knowing my dad he won't be unemployed long after he's done at Turner. He wants and is still able to work. He'd be restless if he had nothing to do. He's the guy who taught me work ethic and I don't think retirement is anywhere in his near future. Just pray that everything works out with the timing and SS.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]