This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
When did Johnnie begin his transition out of LU?
Nasser’s responsibilities will include those formerly held by Liberty’s campus pastor and senior vice president for communications Johnnie Moore. After a dozen years at Liberty, Moore recently became chief of staff to award-winning film and television producer Mark Burnett, but will remain a consultant to the university through the transition.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Why is the spirtual life leader also the PR person?? Liberty doesn't have a real PR dept anymore anyways. But still.
Postie, I do not believe that Nasser will assume those duties. This is strictly for spiritual life and global engagement.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I believe Moore was assigned the "spokesman" duties as a totally separate thing from his regular job as campus pastor. He just seemed to be the person JLFJR had the most confidence in. Who will that be now? I guess we'll find out next time it hits the fan.
olldflame wrote:I believe Moore was assigned the "spokesman" duties as a totally separate thing from his regular job as campus pastor. He just seemed to be the person JLFJR had the most confidence in. Who will that be now? I guess we'll find out next time it hits the fan.
So like in about a week? :D
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Nasser is much more qualified for this role than the previous person.

He's a local church guy, and I know it doesn't meet on Sundays anymore, but I'm intrigued on what he'll do with campus church.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:I heard a rumor that BJ was taking over "spokesman" position? BJ - was that just a rumor? I didn't even think you were in town anymore?
He did say he was interviewing for a job
And he certainly has the :koolaid credentials
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Count me as one who isn't thrilled with this move. I've never been a huge fan of Nasser's style and unfortunately, he's going to draw comparisons to Caner, which hasn't done well for us in the past.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:I heard a rumor that BJ was taking over "spokesman" position? BJ - was that just a rumor? I didn't even think you were in town anymore?
Not true...I haven't even been contacted by Liberty for any open positions
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:Count me as one who isn't thrilled with this move. I've never been a huge fan of Nasser's style and unfortunately, he's going to draw comparisons to Caner, which hasn't done well for us in the past.
Nasser is not Caner, anybody who compares the two is not at all informed.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:Count me as one who isn't thrilled with this move. I've never been a huge fan of Nasser's style and unfortunately, he's going to draw comparisons to Caner, which hasn't done well for us in the past.
glad I'm not the only one who thought that... though to be fair I've never heard of the guy

but when I read this .... :shock:
LU wrote:Nasser was born in Iran but left the country with his family at age 9 during the Iranian Revolution. After almost a year in exile, his family moved to America. At age 18, he rejected his Muslim heritage and became a Christian. He and his wife, Jennifer, have two children.

all I could think was "oh please someone fact check this one this time"

I mean, you gotta be kidding me with this stuff.

http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=123880
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:They have the same style.

Credibility of course is a different animal. Nasser doesn't have any black marks against him.
I've been following Nasser and have never heard this. Trust me guys, this is a good thing.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
TDDance has also become a cynical old man in the past few years. I think he'd tell you that. Ha.

Everyone I've talked to, whether inside or outside the bubble, thinks getting Nasser is awesome.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The thing that distinguishes Nasser from Caner as far as style (having heard both), is the fact that Caner said a lot of things for shock value, and not much else. What David Nasser does, is he gets the shock value, but when that wears off, he gets you thinking about the deeper meaning of what he said. I remember when they had the "jeans offering" some years back as an example of that.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
The general consensus on social media that I've seen( freshman and a few sophomores) are sad that Johnnie is leaving but at the same time seem excited about Nasser taking over.
That's the boat I'm in.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
JakeP50 wrote:The general consensus on social media that I've seen( freshman and a few sophomores) are sad that Johnnie is leaving but at the same time seem excited about Nasser taking over.
That's the boat I'm in.
Yeah, that's because freshmen and sophomores still want youth pastors and eat up the student ministry mannerisms that most people grow out of.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My first reaction is that Nasser seems like a great choice. I admit that I haven't had the exposure to him that some of you guys who live in the religion space have experienced. But my experience with his preaching and some of his writings has been positive.

Frankly the Iranian aspect is ancient history. He hasn't marketed himself to my knowledge based heavily on his Muslim background. If anything, many might be surprised to learn of it who have followed him recently. I have a lot of Iranian friends here in Houston who are primarily Christian including a close family friend who was a close relation of the Shah. They tend to have a sensitive heart for their Iranian brothers whether they are Christian or Muslim back in their homeland. I suspect Nasser has similar viewpoints.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]