This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I dont mean this to be spiteful or negative but she has no business coming to convo to dialogue about Scripture period. If you want to bring someone in to discuss that passage in context with authority then bring in guys like Voddie Baucham, John MacArthur, John Piper or others like them.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Nasser= zero value added. Not a fan at all. Reminds me of the first time I saw Jim and Tammi on TV, you just knew that something didn't add up.
Love the "talk show" comment.
I don't mind AOC being on campus a whole lot, but she is an idiot. I guess since Barnum and Baily have gone out of business, she is a close second.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 2:46 am I dont mean this to be spiteful or negative but she has no business coming to convo to dialogue about Scripture period. If you want to bring someone in to discuss that passage in context with authority then bring in guys like Voddie Baucham, John MacArthur, John Piper or others like them.
I think that’s the point for the invite. She’s a person with “average” Biblical knowledge who is source referencing Scripture. So why not bring her in to discuss what she thinks it says in context of what it actually means
I see your point Purple, I just have a totally different opinion on what should be happening at Convocation. 3 times a week all of these students are gathered for a glorified Ted-Talk on campus with high-profile celebrities in Christian culture and from outside Christian culture when the most important thing they need is the Word of God. I know I need more of the Word of God in my life as it is the purest and best nutrition for my soul and y walk with Christ.

In regards to AOC, yes she needs someone to speak truth into her life but is it best to bring her in for Convo to expose her publicly for her GIANT misunderstanding of the text? I am not sure if that is wisest and best for her.
SumItUp liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 10:21 am I see your point Purple, I just have a totally different opinion on what should be happening at Convocation. 3 times a week all of these students are gathered for a glorified Ted-Talk on campus with high-profile celebrities in Christian culture and from outside Christian culture when the most important thing they need is the Word of God...

bc convo =/= chapel

unless somethings changed???

this always seems to be a matter of debate.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It's been debated for as long as I have been around Liberty. Which is much longer than I'd like to admit.

I actually think it was Jerry invited her last time she quoted scripture out of context, not Nasser. Politicans (Republicans and Democrats) just love quoting scripture out of context.
Nasser is a member of Liberty’s executive leadership tier directly under Falwell Jr. He oversees more than 100 full-time employees and was paid $349,000 in fiscal year 2017, more than the school’s provost, its athletic director, and the deans of its medical and law schools, and significantly more than his predecessor. “Liberty is a blessed place, and the Bible says to whom much is given much is required,” Nasser said of his office’s generous budget.
https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/1 ... ssion=true

I’m starting this as a separate thread because the article is predominately about David Nasser, not Jerry.
I'm not saying an article can be judged merely by its publication, but it's Slate...
Purple Haize liked this
I don't really have a huge problem with Nasser trying to take care of things in house but there is a really fine line between trying to take care of things in house and covering things up. It is really odd because Liberty acts like they don't really care what the media says about them but then do everything in their power to make sure students don't make them look bad.
Just opinion statement:

1. Nasser's position does not deserve $300,000 plus dollars when there are professors at LU being let go or not being taken care of.

2. I am concerned with how Nasser leads. Both my sister and brother in law worked either directly under him or in the same area as him. Both of them expressed concern over Nassers arrogant attitude towards it always being his way and with how he made people feel low.

It will be interesting to see how things play out in the future.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I went ahead and merged this with the other Nasser thread that we had in the chapel. Seemed to me some of the things discussed there fit with this one.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 30th, 2019, 10:54 am Just opinion statement:

1. Nasser's position does not deserve $300,000 plus dollars when there are professors at LU being let go or not being taken care of.
I disagree with this. If the allocation of salary is based upon volume of contact with students, it would seem to me he deserves to be paid more than most if not all professors. The events he oversees are attended by far more people on campus than that of any professor, I would think. And that doesn’t even include anyone who comes from off-campus or who views the events elsewhere through various technologies. And whether we agree with his tactics or not, the leadership of the institution has placed him in a very high position of both visibility and responsibility. Why should he not be compensated thusly?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]