Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know I probably come on here asking for some pretty stupid stuff but this is important.

I lost my job at LU right before my son was born and I haven't been able to find steady work for about a year plus. well things have come to a head with my wife because of the lack of a steady income and she is threatening to walk out with my son and go back to Oklahoma. There is a lot of backstory to this but I need a lot of prayer. I have an interview on Monday for a job but I really just need prayer that I can work things out with my wife and stick this out because I have a couple opportunities that are in front of me but I have a real difficult decision to make with my marriage on the line.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I give you a hard time but it's all in good, clean fun. Marriage can be tough at times and finances too. Lots of things going in for you man. Praying for sure.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Very sad to hear about your situation. Good luck with this. I hope everything works out so you can save your marriage.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
thanks for the idea PH, my issue with getting a full time teaching position is more due to my lack of the professional credentials most school systems look for (i.e. a teachers license)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJ, teacher certification is mainly for public schools; many private and Christian schools don't require it.

Also, have you considered the military? I'm not sure what the age limit is, but I'm sure someone on here does.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:BJ, teacher certification is mainly for public schools; many private and Christian schools don't require it.

Also, have you considered the military? I'm not sure what the age limit is, but I'm sure someone on here does.
Excellent suggestion
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I have considered the military at a few times in life...my wife doesn't support that, I think due to the constant moving (she also doesn't support me being in a job where my life is on the line...and I am aware of MOS that basically involve desk duty)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I have considered the military at a few times in life...my wife doesn't support that, I think due to the constant moving (she also doesn't support me being in a job where my life is on the line...and I am aware of MOS that basically involve desk duty)
Check it out again. Going in as an Officer gives you a lot more options. Take her with you.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple is right, with your college degree, you might be able to go in as an officer. Check into the Air Force.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
As long as you are under 34 you can try to OTS route with the Air Force but it is very competitive but at least worth a try if you are interested. Enlisting the age requirement is 27 and under I believe. I attempted to commision with the Air Force when I first joined but didn't have a degree they really wanted and the Air Force is afforded the option right now to be very selective, but you don't know if you don't try.

In the mean time take any job you can get. Whether its working at a grocery store or fast food. If finances are that difficult right now you can't pick this time to be selective especially with a marriage on the line.

Still praying for you and your marriage. My wife and I have had our share of downs this past year so I know it is never easy.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Enlisting the age requirement is 27 and under I believe.
I think it's 37.

BJ, I know it's easy for me to say, not being in your situation, but you are in a time in your life where you are able to move for work if you need to. Your son is still an infant, go to where the work is, wherever that is. Texas, N Dakota, etc are all growing with lots of jobs. And there's no shame in working multiple jobs if that's what your family needs.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:...In the mean time take any job you can get. Whether its working at a grocery store or fast food. If finances are that difficult right now you can't pick this time to be selective especially with a marriage on the line. ...
THIS

you may have to sacrifice internet time but do what it takes

good luck
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
thepostman wrote:Enlisting the age requirement is 27 and under I believe.
I think it's 37.

BJ, I know it's easy for me to say, not being in your situation, but you are in a time in your life where you are able to move for work if you need to. Your son is still an infant, go to where the work is, wherever that is. Texas, N Dakota, etc are all growing with lots of jobs. And there's no shame in working multiple jobs if that's what your family needs.
In the Air Force enlisting active duty is 27, guard and reserve have slightly different requirements which I don't know off the top of my head.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe that Oklahoma may be like Texas where we have emergency certification for anyone with a Bachelor's Degree because of the desperate shortage fo teachers.

Your coms degree might be best put to use in a business setting. There are a slew of oil & gas companies out there hiring these days particularly to fill social media challenges.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
This
ALUmnus wrote:
...and this
thepostman wrote:
In the mean time take any job you can get. Whether its working at a grocery store or fast food. If finances are that difficult right now you can't pick this time to be selective especially with a marriage on the line.
I know there have been times in my life where I have fought with where I wanted to be career wise versus the reality. However when I humbled myself and took whatever job was available, they became huge blessings.

Also, don't be afraid to move. I've made a few big moves in my adult life and each one of them brought different experiences and opportunities. In the end, as I have told my wife, if it came down to it, and I was in a position where I had no income and couldn't support my family, I would have no problem working anywhere if it meant providing for my family. If that meant finding a job at Walmart, then that's what it means.

I'll share a story. My younger brother got married in a small town in North Carolina. He worked a few jobs but, as he wanted to support his wife and start a family, he eventually landed an entry level job at Walmart. Did they have great pay? No. Benefits? No. But being the hard worker he is, he stood out from a lot of the other workers there and moved up rather quickly and moved into Asset Protection and eventually became the manager of the Asset Protection area of the store. His work experience at Walmart led me to be able to find an entry level position at the company I work for. After working there a little over a year, I was able to help him get promoted to a manager job at our company, which is one of the largest companies in the world. He has great pay. Great benefits. The only downside is now that my brother and I work for the same company in the same position, when I go on vacation to visit him we end up talking work a little bit more than I would like. LOL

The point is, if he had never decided to get that entry level job at Walmart, he may have never built the resume needed to get the job at my business and eventually have a pretty sweet job that he could keep until he retires someday.

So, when looking at jobs, don't be afraid of taking the small stuff. You literally never know where it might lead. And often it will lead you many places when we put in the effort. I have found that a job is what you make of it. The only time a job becomes a "dead-end" job is when you decide not to put the effort in to make the most of it.

With that, will always be keeping you and your family in prayer. Tough times indeed.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I checked into this a decade ago (don't ask), but I think the Air Force would take you into your 40s if you wanted to be a nurse.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]