Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Regardless, I don't see how there would not at some point be serious confusion or problems in church governance and discipline.

"keep it fresh"? Again, consumerism dominating the modern church.
H
I'm going to destroy your case by agreeing with you. I see more Multi Site churches revolving around a cult of personality than not. Throwing the Single Site argument into makes no sense.
I do like the Willow Creek set up, but I've liked most things Willow Creek since the late 80's
By NG33
Registration Days Posts
I attend a multi-site church right outside of Boston, and I am so glad to be a part of it. While I do not attend the main campus, I still feel very connected to the church as a whole. Admittedly, I was pretty skeptical of going to a church where the preaching would be shown on a massive screen, but due to everything else being local (Worship, Announcements, Classes etc.) it has never been a problem for me. Plus, every sermon series, they have a week where the campus pastors preach at their respective locations. I actually brought my parents along a few months back and now they are actively involved inside the church and are participating in a weekly small group near their house (all of this after not going to church for years).

Now I understand where ALumnus is coming from though. To be honest, when I first visited this church I had a lot of reservations relating to how it all worked and whether or not they put their pastor on some idolatrous pedestal, but so far I haven't seen anything major that would cause me to worry. Frankly, a lot more people in this region know about the church itself rather than who the pastor is.

I honestly love being involved in this community, but I realize that it's probably not for everyone. While I wish there wasn't difference in worship, interpretations of scripture, ideas for outreach/missions, and that we all could attend a standard, uniform church, that isn't the world we live in. God has shown me different things and taught me different lessons when attending mega-churches and churches that maxed out at 10-15 people. IMHO, as long as the Gospel is being preached inside of the church building and is being lived out on the outside of it, I think there is room at the table for churches of various shapes and sizes.
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
NG33, trying to think of what church you're at. I hope its not the one that thinks its the hottest thing since sliced bread because they mimic what other churches in other parts of the country do and call it their own because no one in boston pays attention to other churches.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
rueful wrote:NG33, trying to think of what church you're at. I hope its not the one that thinks its the hottest thing since sliced bread because they mimic what other churches in other parts of the country do and call it their own because no one in boston pays attention to other churches.
Shots fired (potentially)!
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
haha no, Im not there anymore, and I don't think this church had a campus in lowell. But seriously, drove me nuts.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
Two things:

1. I loved the way my Presbyterian church handled multi-site vs single church in DC. Each associate/assistant pastor that is brought on is expected, within two years, to find a clump of 2-3 neighborhoods in which to plant a new Grace DC affiliated church. Each church handles it's own business for the most part, but the existing ones follow the Acts 29 model of giving 10% to the new plants. Additionally, some of the bigger picture issues, including the business meeting and long term planning/vision casting, are done together.

2. Bringing this back to Driscoll, he was on the speaking circuit less than a week after officially resigning. Now he's launched his own website, that looks a lot like the old Mars Hill site, and seems to be trying to set himself up as a pastor without a church. I'm a big fan of the early days of Mars Hill up to his first book hitting the shelves. I still think Radical Reformission is one of the best church planting/growing books that has been written. After that, he seems to have gone off the rails and this new step does not look good from the outside.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/forme ... te-131761/
By NG33
Registration Days Posts
rueful wrote:NG33, trying to think of what church you're at. I hope its not the one that thinks its the hottest thing since sliced bread because they mimic what other churches in other parts of the country do and call it their own because no one in boston pays attention to other churches.
Just saw this haha I go to Grace Chapel-Wilmington. The main campus is in Lexington. Honestly it could be the one you're referring to seeing as there are only a handful of large churches around. I haven't seen that kind of hubris here since I started attending, but that doesn't mean it's not happening haha
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]