Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A very encouraging sign. The arrogance and lack of contrition have always been huge red flags for me. If this is sincere and I cannot think of any good reason to believe otherwise based on the content of this letter, then I applaud his changes in direction.

:clapping
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Driscoll was asked to step down and seek help by Matt Chandler and the Acts 29 board.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
I think it is more than stepping down though. I believe there were talks of steps to reconciliation and it seems the board of A29 wasn't too pleased with the constantly reappearing shenanigans. It is a very encouraging sign but I hope that Driscoll really is able to reconcile the people he really hurt. As much as I disagree with him on some things, I've not been personally affected.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Christianity Today wrote:Mark Driscoll Steps Down While Mars Hill Investigates Charges
(UPDATED) Driscoll offers 8-step solution to followers: 'Current climate is not healthy for me or for this church.'

Morgan Lee [ POSTED 8/24/2014 12:41PM ]

Driscoll announces his 'extended focus break' from Mars Hill.
[Updated with eight "next steps," direct quotes, video of announcement.]

In Mark Driscoll's first public statement since Acts 29 rebuked and removed him from the church planting network he founded, the embattled Seattle pastor announced he will temporarily step down as leader of Mars Hill Church while charges submitted by 21 former pastors against him are investigated.

He offered his church a list of eight next steps he plans to take [see bottom of this post, along with video link], acknowledging that some charges are "simply my fault, and I will own it, confess it, and move on from it as God continues to redeem me."
Click Here for Full Story
By bluejacket
All involved should read Luke 18:9-14, among any number of passages, for guidance. I'm not a Driscoll fan by any stretch, but this lesson could be applied to any number of pastors, people, or institutions, including myself.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The PR firm of someone familiar to those of us who have been around long enough will be "advising" the church. That would be Mark DeMoss. In light of the less than stellar way LU has handled some recent situations it might not be a bad idea to look into utilizing the services of an alum who is in the PR field.
By bluejacket
olldflame wrote:The PR firm of someone familiar to those of us who have been around long enough will be "advising" the church. That would be Mark DeMoss. In light of the less than stellar way LU has handled some recent situations it might not be a bad idea to look into utilizing the services of an alum who is in the PR field.
Definitely would be a wise decision.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Mark obviously has long connections to not only LU but is also contracted to most fo the major Christian non-profits in the U.S. He remains on the LU board and is obviously consulted when asked. Mark has his hands full with the other previously mentioned Mark mess in Seattle.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
What did Driscoll actually do? I keep reading about lists and things that disqualify him - but what is it exactly?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I go to an Acts 29 church. Setting up a government with checks and balances is so important, because the power and money would be too much for most of us in the Mars Hill situation.

I just bought a song from this worship pastor that wrote this "non defiant" letter, in which he ended it with a 3 paragraph quote from Driscoll, the situation is garbage, and the letter is also garbage. There are more people to blame than just Mark D.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
feel free to dismiss this since my rep on this stuff isn't, well- you know...

[add in the fact I know nothing about anyone of the players involved in this mess]

having said that- whatever happened to going to a nice little church of a hundred people or so then going home and having a sandwich and watching Nascar or the NFL?

this crap with 15k people, 65 pastors, books, satellite campuses, what a joke

the Church has become an industry. These people are totally missing the point, IMHO

give the world yet another reason to laugh- this time, legitimately.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:feel free to dismiss this since my rep on this stuff isn't, well- you know...

[add in the fact I know nothing about anyone of the players involved in this mess]

having said that- whatever happened to going to a nice little church of a hundred people or so then going home and having a sandwich and watching Nascar or the NFL?

this crap with 15k people, 65 pastors, books, satellite campuses, what a joke

the Church has become an industry. These people are totally missing the point, IMHO

give the world yet another reason to laugh- this time, legitimately.
Medic, you are absolutely right in everything you said (except the nascar bit).
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
They are giving the people what they want - easy to attend without getting involved. Let us make you feel good - why else does Osteen have so many"worshipers" attending every week.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]