Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
As I near the 5 year mark with the state and my agency (and thus making me vested in the state retirment system), and with Social Security lifting its hiring freeze, I've begun the wonderful task of looking to move to a new employer (specifically, the federal government). I've applied for a few positions with Social Security and elsewhere, but prayers would be appreciated as the hunt continues.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is always easier to find a job while still employed.

Can I hear an Amen?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:It is always easier to find a job while still employed.

Can I hear an Amen?
Hallelujah ! And Amen. I just landed one while still on a contract. Unfortunately while the pay is more so is the work expectations :D
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Can I hear an Amen?
Hallelujah ! And Amen. I just landed one while still on a contract. Unfortunately while the pay is more so is the work expectations :D
So, you have to show up every day? Sounds like an abusive environment to me. :)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Can I hear an Amen?
So, you have to show up every day? Sounds like an abusive environment to me. :)
I know, right? Salary, benefits and a car and you expect me to work more than 10-2 Tuesday - Thursday? But we all have to take what we can get :D
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Got an interview in Fairfax on Monday the 24th for supervisor and an interview here on the 27th for office manager. Neither one are federal and within my agency, but a move up would be good as well.

Thanks y'all
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Got an interview in Fairfax on Monday the 24th for supervisor and an interview here on the 27th for office manager. Neither one are federal and within my agency, but a move up would be good as well.

Thanks y'all
It's always better to move up than down.......or out!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I go into orientation for another substitute teaching gig in Chesapeake on Wednesday morning in addition to my subbing in Norfolk that I have been doing since January
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ATrain wrote:Got an interview in Fairfax on Monday the 24th for supervisor and an interview here on the 27th for office manager. Neither one are federal and within my agency, but a move up would be good as well.

Thanks y'all
I think moving out of the state to the feds would be better...moving out to the street, not so much :lol:

BJ, good luck with the new substitue teaching job
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks Atrain...good luck with your search as well. being on the street is not a fun experience
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Thanks y'all
I think moving out of the state to the feds would be better...moving out to the street, not so much :I chortle audibly.:

BJ, good luck with the new substitue teaching job
Moving to the Fed is define to a move up.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Just an update...did not get the promotions within the agency, but have been referred for consideration for a job in Boston. Its at the GS-12 level, so that would be a nice step up from where I'm at now.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Just an update...did not get the promotions within the agency, but have been referred for consideration for a job in Boston. Its at the GS-12 level, so that would be a nice step up from where I'm at now.
I'm sure you are aware to some extent, but you will need to make a LOT more money in Boston to maintain the same lifestyle you have where you are. My brother lives there and housing is EXPENSIVE. Oh yeah, and then there are the winters.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ATrain wrote:Just an update...did not get the promotions within the agency, but have been referred for consideration for a job in Boston. Its at the GS-12 level, so that would be a nice step up from where I'm at now.
I'm sure you are aware to some extent, but you will need to make a LOT more money in Boston to maintain the same lifestyle you have where you are. My brother lives there and housing is EXPENSIVE. Oh yeah, and then there are the winters.
I think a $30K pay raise should do it. We currently pay close to $1,500 for 545 sq feet at the VA Beach Oceanfront. Plus we will be able to move about the country after a year.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
$30k pay raise may not be enough to maintain your current level of living based on Tidewater. Can I get a witness from our Mass contingent on here?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
There are other reasons that ATrain may prefer a state like MA to VA. It's not all dollars.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:There are other reasons that ATrain may prefer a state like MA to VA. It's not all dollars.
This also. Massachusetts will recognize my marriage...VA won't...yet 8)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I had an interview last Thursday for a high school position in Chesapeake. Should hear back this week about it...will be praying for your interview ATrain. is it in person or phone?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Good news. It is always good to get to a bunch of Chowds before lunch on a drinking holiday. :lol:

Seriously, wishing you nothing but the best.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]