Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The Wal-Mart post will help with the couple weeks where school is not in session for the holidays. Just pray I can do an excellent job and stay on after the new year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I was offered and accepted a seasonal position at Wal-Mart on Monday in the electronics department...bring some much needed income for my family this holiday season.
:clapping congrats. You'll do fine :clapping
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJ I give you a hard time but I really hope you know it's in good, clean fun. So happy God is providing. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I mean that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Got some good news last night...

I was called into the personnel office when I got to work last night and found out I was made a permanent associate at Wal-Mart. Now I can qualify for benefits after 90 days as well as advancement within the company (and pay raises)
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Got some good news last night...

I was called into the personnel office when I got to work last night and found out I was made a permanent associate at Wal-Mart. Now I can qualify for benefits after 90 days as well as advancement within the company (and pay raises)
Yay pay raises...I get my 1% raise beginning next week. Congrats on your news BJ.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Fantastic news beej! Happy for you. I have a friend who worked his butt off for Wal Mart and is now making very good money with them. Good luck to you beej. I'll be rooting for you.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I already got boosted 90 cents because I was a former associate at another store when they put me in as a seasonal hire, but I do hope to make my mark in the company even though my eye is on a bigger prize.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I already got boosted 90 cents because I was a former associate at another store when they put me in as a seasonal hire, but I do hope to make my mark in the company even though my eye is on a bigger prize.
CEO?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I already got boosted 90 cents because I was a former associate at another store when they put me in as a seasonal hire, but I do hope to make my mark in the company even though my eye is on a bigger prize.
CEO?
Haha I wish...back in 2005 I was a truck unloader for the summer at the Wal-Mart on wards road and when I applied they still had that in the system even though I left that job when school started that fall.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
CEO?
Haha I wish...back in 2005 I was a truck unloader for the summer at the Wal-Mart on wards road and when I applied they still had that in the system even though I left that job when school started that fall.
So you wanna be a driver for them? Nice. I knew a guy who did that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Not likely. My wife has a best friend who was a trucker and I dont think she would want me gone so much.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Congratulations, BJ. My brother worked there when he was between hardware jobs. What department are you in?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
That is good news BJ. Praying God continues to bless your family throughout the new year.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
My brother started at Wally World, got some good job experience, and now works for the same company I do.

It's great that you are embracing it. I'm sure you'll find success!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Mmhmm...my eyes are still on ESPN down the road but I'm going to try to make the most of where I am with Wal-Mart in the meantime
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:By all accounts, ESPN is a horrible place to work. You don't want that.
I concur. I've known 3 people who worked there. One was a pretty big muckety muck. They no longer work there.
BJ I'm old school. You may not be doing what you love, but try to love what you do. Mike Rowe has taken up that mantra, and he makes great points. This is one of the best books I've read. I'm recommend it highly. If you can't afford it I'll send you a copy

http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Remarkable-M ... 0553528734
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I without a doubt am not doing what I love but have embraced it. Life is funny that way beej.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Either love the job you have or create the job you love. If you're not in the position to create a job you love, there's only one option left.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well said both of you. as I said, I'm going to make good with this job at Wal-Mart and make the most of the opportunity i have been given
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJ, maybe someday, you will end in a situation like what SCAR had for a number of years: working a day job that pays your bills and doing some broadcasting in the evenings for a sport that you know and love.

And it's okay if that is just broadcasting high school sports to begin with.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]