Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I was able to hear his message on the radio Sunday night. What a powerful message regarding the war we are in with Islam and how it's a life or death struggle. If anyone had any doubts that we are in an epic battle, John Hagee clearly explained the must win situation we face. Great message!
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I really wanted to hear him, but I didn't hear about it until too late. I already had plans. Would've loved to have been there though.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I have some major problems with this guy. Prosperity gospel is a lot of nonsense.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think most of us have issues with much of what he says & does. But he was brought in to speak on a specific topic where he does possess some expertise.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
What's wrong with Hagee?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He believes Jews don't have to accept Christ to be saved (and says if you don't agree with him you are anti-semitic). He also is a big proponent of prosperity theology.

Otherwise, he's a great communicator and his church does some really cool things in San Antonio. And I'd love for us to land some more kids from his high school (Cornerstone Christian) basketball team.
Last edited by Sly Fox on September 29th, 2006, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Ok, what's prosperity theology? I'm just now in 201 learning some of this stuff.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
prosperity is not just about money. Money is the first thing alot of you think of when you'll hear that word.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
In general, I don't think that's too far off base.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I don't have a problem with believers living prosperously. But there is a lot more to a prosperous life than money. That said, I believe a Christian, especially a pastor, should do things in moderation. There's nothing wrong with living comfortably, but I'm not sure anyone, especially a pastor needs to spend millions to live in a home over 5,000 plus square feet. I like Rick Warren's approach to wealth. He doesn't take a salary from the church and lives off 10 percent of the income from the sales of his books and materials.

Further, many prosperity gospel teachers espouse the notion that if you are not wealthy you are probably not living in God's will. I guess that would make Jesus and the apostle Paul really out of touch with the will of God.

Anyone heard of the cult, I mean business Quixtar? They teach this mumbo jumbo to a lot of their followers.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
i agree with you kel that there are preachers out there who take prosperity out of context and make it all about money amd not focus on the other things too.
By FlameDad
Registration Days Posts
kel varson wrote:I don't have a problem with believers living prosperously. But there is a lot more to a prosperous life than money. That said, I believe a Christian, especially a pastor, should do things in moderation. There's nothing wrong with living comfortably, but I'm not sure anyone, especially a pastor needs to spend millions to live in a home over 5,000 plus square feet. I like Rick Warren's approach to wealth. He doesn't take a salary from the church and lives off 10 percent of the income from the sales of his books and materials.

Further, many prosperity gospel teachers espouse the notion that if you are not wealthy you are probably not living in God's will. I guess that would make Jesus and the apostle Paul really out of touch with the will of God.

Anyone heard of the cult, I mean business Quixtar? They teach this mumbo jumbo to a lot of their followers.
Kel
What can you tell me about Quixtar?
My son uses some of their products (energy drinks & vitamins) and is interested in becoming a distributor.......
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
kel varson wrote: (Rick Warren) doesn't take a salary from the church and lives off 10 percent of the income from the sales of his books and materials.
Which probably equals more than the church would pay him anyway. I'm not knocking Warren or his $ choices but his situation is completely different than most. The fact that he can do that is great but the reality is that very few could follow that model w/o living under a bridge.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
FlameDad wrote:
kel varson wrote:I don't have a problem with believers living prosperously. But there is a lot more to a prosperous life than money. That said, I believe a Christian, especially a pastor, should do things in moderation. There's nothing wrong with living comfortably, but I'm not sure anyone, especially a pastor needs to spend millions to live in a home over 5,000 plus square feet. I like Rick Warren's approach to wealth. He doesn't take a salary from the church and lives off 10 percent of the income from the sales of his books and materials.

Kel
What can you tell me about Quixtar?
My son uses some of their products (energy drinks & vitamins) and is interested in becoming a distributor.......
ugh, :| you probably don't want to let him do that. I've been given the pitch from a distributer before. It's a legal pyramid scheme. but we should probably talk about that in a different forum.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I agree that some preachers take it out of context and teach only prosperity in monetary terms.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Everything you need to know about Quixtar, you can find out by watching at dateline nbc special which ran within the last couple years. I've had some close friends involved in it, but I don't want to get into that on this thread. Just watch the dateline piece on the net. If you still have questions I'll post on another thread.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4375477/

http://www.amquix.info/dateline/dateline.html
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlameDad wrote:Thanks Kel
I will check out the pages
From the Iron Maiden Classic "Run To The Hills" My parents were in "The Q" and sank 10's of thousands of dollars into it. Bought the tapes went to the seminar's became "those people". I finally sat down w/my dad and laid out a graph of how many people, by his own estimation, he would have to talk to to get 1 person interested. Then how many people he would have to have to produce and so on. Eventually (6 hours later) he finally caught on. I think the final number was something like 185,000 people he would have to approach to break even.

As for Hagee, I like him. Of course as a fan of the 80's I am always nostalgic that comes from that era, prosperity theology, Heritage USA, Jim and Tammy, Swaggart, Mel White and Jerry.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Just a thought on the pyramid(s). They were tombs... and the people that allegedly labored to build them were not at all prosperous, only the guys who ordered them built. Might be an analogy there somewhere.

What a shocking figure that Haize put out there ..... 185,000 to break even? That's enough right there
to keep a thinking person away.
Family Travel Obsession

I am with you, TH Spangler. I love the mountains i[…]

5 plus 7 model

[rob lowe voice]I am LITERALLY in Dublin next we[…]

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great f[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]