Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Because of our LU experience we have met people from all walks of life in many states. We also have friends/family in many parts of the country. It would be great to have a list of ministries where our LU friends attend. We can use it to pray for each ministry and/or tell our friends in your area about your ministry.

What church do you attend or what parachurch group do you work with/support. When possible leave your name (unless it's top secret), the organization's name, city, and website.

I'll start:
Tally Wilgis
Focal Point Church
Chesapeake, VA
http://www.FocalPointChurch.com
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Nice idea, Tally.

Here is the church where the Sly Fox family is involved:

Houston Northwest Church (Yeah, we dropped Baptist from the name too)
Houston, Texas
http://hnw.org
By - jimflamesfan -
Okay...

Jim Kopco

Winn's Creek Baptist Church
Halifax, VA

website is www.winnscreekchurch.org but it is not in its final stage yet.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
Ya gotta like a church that puts a football on the front of its webpage and invites people to come and watch the Pittsburgh Steelers march onto victory. Nice goin Winnscreek. My church is going to have a family dinner after the morning service and then play flag football out back before we go home and watch the Steelers.

I was wondering if Sly Fox went to Joel Osteen's church so we could get some insight. That guy seems a little wacky to me.

I'm just finishing up a stewardship/financial planning video series by crown.org if anyone has a similar need in their church. Crown did an excellent job with the series. First time I could use my profession (insurance/financial services) to teach a Sunday School class.

I go to a smaller rural church in Parkesburg called Highland Baptist.

http://www.highland-bc.org/
By WinthropGrad
Registration Days Posts
Baldspot wrote:Ya gotta like a church that puts a football on the front of its webpage and invites people to come and watch the Pittsburgh Steelers march onto victory. Nice goin Winnscreek. My church is going to have a family dinner after the morning service and then play flag football out back before we go home and watch the Steelers.

I was wondering if Sly Fox went to Joel Osteen's church so we could get some insight. That guy seems a little wacky to me.

I'm just finishing up a stewardship/financial planning video series by crown.org if anyone has a similar need in their church. Crown did an excellent job with the series. First time I could use my profession (insurance/financial services) to teach a Sunday School class.

I go to a smaller rural church in Parkesburg called Highland Baptist.

http://www.highland-bc.org/
I tought a Crown class at our church. It is a wonderful program that I encourage everyone to attend (especially with your future spouse if you are at that stage of life). I attend First Baptist Church of Woodstock. www.fbcw.org My weekly accountability partner recently authored some materials called Life Finder. It is sort of like standing on the shoulders of Crown and then taking it to the next level; acknowledging that God is the giver of all of our "assets", with same including our time, talents and treasures. Makes you ask yourself, how do I as a (insert profession here) impact the kingdom for eternity. Powerful stuff. We just finished the 4-week materials on a church wide basis. If any of you are interested in learning more about this material for your congregation, just let me know.

Oh, and by the way, my name is Robert Tidwell. I live in Woodstock, GA.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Houston has more mega churches than anywhere else in America. My wife & I actually went to the first service at the new Lakewood Church location inside what was the old Compaq Center. Its a great show with terrific music and atmosphere and the most diverse audience anywhere. Its like going to a Tony Robbins seminar at the United Nations (how's that for analogy). I like Joel who comes from a television production background. He's a terrific communicator who relays the kind of positive message that you don't see much in society. But its what I would call 'Church Lite'. It serves a purpose of reaching out in a non-threatening fashion to seekers. I enjoy listening to his messages and his book is outstanding as a psychological self-help guide. But its not a place I'd consider for prolonged spiritual growth.

Ed Young Sr.'s 2nd Baptist Church has sent a slew of students to LU over the past few decades (as has 1st Baptist including Mark Lowry). Ed is extremely cool and he does services at three different campuses across Houston every Sunday morning. If one of them were closer to me I would probably be at his church.

There are at least a dozen or so churches in the area that run over 10k. My church is much smaller. We run around 2k and just hired a pastor who once played football for Carson-Newman and whose wife is the daughter of Paige Patterson.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wow, WinthropGrad. You go to Johnny Hunt's church. He's spoken at LU over the years and he's certainly in line with our teaching. Cool.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Eventhough I don't go to Lakewood Church, I definitely like hearing Joel Osteen.

I go to Family Life Christian Church International.
By WinthropGrad
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Wow, WinthropGrad. You go to Johnny Hunt's church. He's spoken at LU over the years and he's certainly in line with our teaching. Cool.
Better not let Johnny hear you say that. He would correct you saying "WinthropGrad goes to Jesus' Church...I'm just the pastor of the Woodstock, GA branch". lol

FBCW is a great place to worship. The ministry opportunities are as endless as the resources. There is absolutely no reason to "warm a pew" at our church. If the Lord burdens your heart with an outreach plan, it can be implemented at our church.
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
My wife drives by your chuch everyday on her way to work in Oxford. Yall have a nice church there on Rt.10. I'm the Youth Pastor/Associate Pastor at Wyebrook Baptist in Elverson,PA. It is a rural church, trust me.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
WinthropGrad, one of my TA's said that he did some internship work at the church you go to (I think, not 100% sure).

As for me, I haven't gotten to check out Brentwood yet here in town but everyone says it's good. I go to campus church mainly. When I first heard Johnnie Moore speak last year I wasn't too intrigued by him but I have him for a class this semester and he's grown on me and I like hearing him speak now.

As for back home, I grew up going to Harvest Temple Church of God. My grandpa's the pastor, and in that picture on the front page is my mom and dad's old cars actually. My mom helped build the church (physically). It's not a great website but yea, that's where I grew up at. Yes, I'm Pentacostal. That church just "got old" for me so I started going to a church called River Oaks Community Church but it was 25 minutes away. I really enjoyed it though.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
My turn:

Name: Adam Trent
Church here: Hyland Heights Baptist
Currently attending back home in Farmville: Riverside Community Church
Membership: Spring Creek Baptist-a small country church in Darlington Heights, VA...but I'll be moving it soon though.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Name: Benjamin "BJ" Williams
Church here: Thomas Road Baptist Church Lynchburg, VA (Dr. Jerry Falwell)
Church at home: Calvary Revival Church Norfolk, VA (Bishop B. Courtney McBath)
Membership: Thomas Road Baptist Church Lynchburg, VA
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
BJ... I've heard great things about your church. I love what they've done at the mall.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I saw the bookstore when I was home for a couple weeks over Christmas. Very nice! They actually have a second Calvary Revival Church in Chesapeake because of the church's explosive growth
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Really? I didn't know that... I wasn't aware of it... I'm glad they are doing so well..
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
LUconn
Living Word Baptist Church, Pastor Marvin Suitt
http://www.lwbc.net
By Guest
I go to a great little church out here in So. Cal called Saddleback. I've been there about 20 years so I have seen a few changes. If you ever hear us called "Christian-lite" don't believe it.

Also, I work for a ministry called Open Doors. It was started 50 years ago by a guy named "Brother Andrew". It works with the persecuted church and Christians around the world.
By Guest
I go to a great little church out here in So. Cal called Saddleback. I've been there about 20 years so I have seen a few changes. If you ever hear us called "Christian-lite" don't believe it.

Also, I work for a ministry called Open Doors. It was started 50 years ago by a guy named "Brother Andrew". It works with the persecuted church and Christians around the world.

And oh, my name is John Brown. I went to LU 80-82. A bit different (and a lot better) today. Don't confuse me with someone who thinks Jerry's gone liberal.

:D
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Links Referenced:
Open Doors USA
Saddleback Church

You won't be hearing negative remarks about Saddleback here. For the most part everyone appreciates the new wave of ministry formed out of the Saddleback's and Willowcreek's of the world. It's paved the way for various forms of ministry that have given a new permission for Pastors to do whatever it takes to reach people with the love of Christ.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Its great to meet you, John. Why don't you go ahead and register and stick around here. We love old school LBCers on here.

And as for Saddleback, it seems to be the phenomenon church for Evangelicals nationwide in the past 5 years in particular. It'd be cool to hear your perspective from the inside.
By its belcherboy
Hey, great topic.

My name is Andrew Cook (LU '93-'00) and I work and attend the Gilead Baptist Church of Taylor, Michigan. I am a Middle School Ministries Director and I am the principal of the church's elementary school. I pretty much do all things at the church (seems like I spend 60 hours a week at this place). I'm a varsity basketball coach and middle school soccer coach at the school.

We are running about 800 people right now. Our auditorium seats around 1000, so we decided to go to two services back at the end of January. So far so good. We have grown about 200 people in the past year and seem to on pace to more than double that growth number this year! (I think we have had around 30 new people join since changing service times)
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Andrew why not go ahead and register and join in the discussions.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
I am a member, I just forgot to sign in!! :shock:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]