Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
On one hand we don't want the spammers, but the other side of the issue is that this is one forum where we want people to use this forum for its intended purpose. And often times people might feel more comfortable posting in here as a guest. So I'm walking a fine line.

Now back to the focus of this thread before we were rudely interrupted.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Good work - Sly and the Family
By cws1007
Registration Days Posts
Curt '93
Fellowship Bible Church - Brentwood, TN
http://www.fellowshipnashville.org

I manage and book: Peculiar People - a touring theatre ministry.
http://www.peculiarpeople.com
http://www.myspace.com/peculiarpeople

If your church is ever looking for a great way to present the gospel like never before, let me know. Theatre is one of the fastest growing segments of the churches in the US. I also work with several other artists (musicians and drama) who I can help you get to your church.
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
FYW and Family Attend the Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Charlottesville. I lead an interesting Sunday School class called The Drifters - for folks who can't be there all the time because of business travel, family stuff etc,. Broad age range. Each lesson is sort of free standing so if you miss you can jump back in and not feel like you're behind. Right now we are, in class, reading C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters - two chapters at a time and discussing it. Funny thing we're the largest class at church with the consistently highest attendance; in fact our class is larger than some Methodists churches in the area - a sad but true reflection of the state of the denomination as a whole.

Church's website is

http://www.cvaumc.org/index.html
By ishy
Registration Days Posts
My ministry reaches out to female geeks, who in being both female and geek are generally considered even freakier than most people.

It's called TechnoChicks.

As for the spam bots, it helps to use visual confirmation during registration (should be under "General Configuration" in the admin panel). There are also some really easy mods for phpbb that deter spambots. Those can be found at phpbb's website, and if you install EasyMod then you just basically can pop those other mods right in with no trouble. EasyMod is very, very easy to install, too. (you can see why I run a geek ministry :lol: )
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
ishy wrote:As for the spam bots, it helps to use visual confirmation during registration (should be under "General Configuration" in the admin panel). There are also some really easy mods for phpbb that deter spambots. Those can be found at phpbb's website, and if you install EasyMod then you just basically can pop those other mods right in with no trouble. EasyMod is very, very easy to install, too. (you can see why I run a geek ministry :lol: )
Yes, we're using visual confirmation (aka captcha) currently. It's helped some, but not completely. I hadn't installed any mods because we use Fantastico for doing software upgrades and such, but given how the last one went (just ask Sly), I don't think that'll be a problem anymore. I'll look into EasyMod this morning. Thanks.

Very cool ministry, by the way.
By ishy
Registration Days Posts
Well, if you need any php help, let me know. I do some programming as well as skinning (I LOVE this template BTW! So neat and the colors are great!).
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
oh yeah- well, I typed an email all by myself the other day.

just trying to fit in here.
By ishy
Registration Days Posts
ROFL!

It's ok, we're proud of you....
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
now if only I could figure out why I keep crashing my computer...
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
Hi Ishy, Welcome to the forum. I've just told my wife about your website and she'll be there asap. She's a telecommuting interface engine analyst/sort of programmer/consultant who idolizes Xena and her kick butt ways. She primarily works on interface engines for hospitals. She got in on the PC revolution in the 80s at LU and has taught herself almost everything she knows about IT give or take a few classes along the way. Cool website BTW.
By ishy
Registration Days Posts
Sweet! She sounds like my kinda people! :lol:
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:now if only I could figure out why I keep crashing my computer...
Wait till you're out of the high chair to use the laptop. That way it won't fall off the tray.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
ishy wrote:Sweet! She sounds like my kinda people! :lol:
I just like having some of my kind of people around here, ladies or not. :)
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
Ok Medic, maybe we can help you with your computer woes. Which one of the knobs do you keep losing from your "laptop"? The left one or the right one? See picture:

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I pray every day that you comedians need an ambulance ride from me at some point.

oh the drugs I'll push. And not in the normal route of administration :twisted:
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
Geeezzz Medic - at least you didn't have to call India for tech support!!! And what kind of drugs would they be??? :D :D :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
FlamingYalieWahoo wrote:Geeezzz Medic - at least you didn't have to call India for tech support!!!
funny you should bring that up. I had a horrible on-line tech support experience Friday with a "Ravi_01115037" from Dell who TYPED in broken English.

All I could think is "I'm definitely linked to Pakistan right now- thank God for outsourcing :roll: "

needless to say, he (?) was of NO help whatsoever. Kept recommending a system restore and ignored my detailed description of error messages.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just so you'll know, Dell is bring their tech support back home to the States because the cost of outsourcing isn't as cheap as it used to be and they have lost so many customers over tech support it wipes out any cost savings.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I gave up on Dell for personal computer use a long time ago, but I did experience the joys of their outsourced overseas tech support when I ordered a video camera from them back in August. I happened to catch a great sale with the right coupon to get the thing for 25% off, but mishaps with their shipping carrier of choice lead to me not getting the camera until well over a month later. I spent about 4 hours one night on the phone, in live chats and typing email to folks who could only read from an English script. As if it was bad enough that their entire conversation was scripted, the last guy I got kept alternating between the "Sir" and "Mam" parts in his script. :evil:

In an enterprise enivronment, they make very technician-friendly desktops and laptops, which I look at as a plus. Having said that, there's a reason technicians need to get into them so often. :D They still make really great server hardware, though. Two thumbs way up server-side.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
"Once you MAC you'll never go back"? What does SCAR have to say about that?
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
cws1007 wrote:Once you go MAC, You'll never go back!

Who's Dell? What's Tech support?

I love my MAC(s)!!!
That's what I'm talking about. I went to Apple in 1999 and I will never ever go back. I'm currently using a 17" MacBook Pro and it is the most perfect laptop I've ever used.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
All those goody commenrcials where they pretend Macs don't get any viruses is not accurate though. I'm a big fan of Final Cuts Pro, otherwise in today's business environment you pretty much arte forced into MS Office on a Windows platform. Yeah, I know there are Mac-compatibles. But it is what it is.
By cws1007
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:forced into MS Office on a Windows platform. Yeah, I know there are Mac-compatibles. But it is what it is.
Been using the Mac version since 2001 and had no problems, even with compatibility.

I actually hope the world continues to use Windows. As long as there are more Windows users out there, that is who the hackers and virus programmers will attack.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]