Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Campus Church begins August 16 in the new Thomas Road Baptist Church sanctuary

Liberty University’s Wednesday night Campus Church services begin this Wednesday, August 16, 2006 at 7:30 p.m. with a new format and a new location: the new 6000 seat sanctuary of Thomas Road Baptist Church (TRBC).

The service for students is open to all of Central Virginia. “Now we’re going to take the Wednesday Evening Campus Church Service to another level of influence as we move to the new sanctuary, with an open invitation extended to all young adults... The praise and worship will be amazing, the preaching gripping and powerful, and the assembling of a diverse community of students will be exhilarating,” said Dr. Rob Jackson, Vice President for Spiritual Life.

Liberty Theological Seminary President Ergun Caner will preach weekly, beginning August 23rd with a sermon series entitled, “Under the Rug: Confronting Questions Most Christians Fear.”

“We are living at a pivotal point in history, and now is the time for a generation of college students to rise from the cultural wasteland that is around them. This is our vision - a relentless generation of students who value their God above their pride and His mission above their ambition,” said Caner.

The Sunday Morning Campus Church service will continue in the Vines Center at 10:30 a.m. each week.

The Sunday Evening Campus Church service will be combined with TRBC in the TRBC sanctuary each week at 6:00 p.m. for a ministry-wide “Super Sunday Night Celebration.”
I guess it was only a matter of time.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Are Vines, Schilling, Reber-Thomas, the Ravine or the DeMoss parking lot already being used for something else?
If not, this is a bad idea. I mean, a really bad idea.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
This is a great idea in that it finally frees up VINES on Wednesday for practices, etc. Certainly, it will encourage the students to be more of a part of TRBC and vice-versa. IMHO, this has always been part of JF's dream for the university and the church.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Its only a bad idea if you are complaining about the trip to North Campus. Otherwise this is a great idea and yes it is the fruition of Dr. Falwell's vision for the school. He has always wanted a University that was "parented" by the church. He wanted the church and school to work hand-in-glove. By bringing some of the church services over, it will help connect the two again.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Question: Did Thomas Road not have a Wednesday service?
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Dream/vision or not, why would you put a service for the students at the edge of campus furthest from them? Particularly when there are numerous meeting locations much closer? And is TRBC cancelling their Wednesday service? If not, you've created mass congestion just for the sake of "fulfilling the vision". I can see why they'd want to do but it just doesn't seem to make any practical sense.

Then again, I'm neither a student nor a TRBCer, so what do I care?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
The idea is that we will have the traditional Weds service, first; then clear the church and bring in the students for campus church.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Libertine wrote:Dream/vision or not, why would you put a service for the students at the edge of campus furthest from them? Particularly when there are numerous meeting locations much closer? And is TRBC cancelling their Wednesday service? If not, you've created mass congestion just for the sake of "fulfilling the vision". I can see why they'd want to do but it just doesn't seem to make any practical sense.

Then again, I'm neither a student nor a TRBCer, so what do I care?
The kids from the circle and farther back aren't going to walk from back there to TRBC for church. The Vines was the perfect spot for campus church because it was a short walk from every dorm on campus.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Just a thought--since TRBC has the busses. I wonder if they will use the busses to shuttle students to church??
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If they can do it for church I think they could do it to class.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
[/quote]

The kids from the circle and farther back aren't going to walk from back there to TRBC for church. The Vines was the perfect spot for campus church because it was a short walk from every dorm on campus.[/quote]

Is it optional? :shock: I can remember hiding a few times during "room check" when the RA's would sweep the dorms making sure everyone was at church. :lol:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Campus church is completely optional. I know a ton of kids that go to Bedside Baptist with Reverend Pillow every Sunday morning.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Campus church was only ever popular on Wednesday and Sunday nights when I was a student. On Sunday mornings they may as well have picked a dorm room to hold it in. Has it been the same way the past few semesters?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Most people I know never go on Sunday night or Wednesday. The only reason they may go on Sunday night is if they sleep in on Sunday morning. Other than that it's mainly Sunday morning.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
They are not axing Wed night Church, TRBC is at 6:15-7:15 and LU will be at 7:30
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Most people I know never go on Sunday night or Wednesday. The only reason they may go on Sunday night is if they sleep in on Sunday morning. Other than that it's mainly Sunday morning.
Hmm, nice circle of friends there....................................... :arrow: :!:
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
If it weren't for that arrow, I would have had no :idea: where you were going with that.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Edit: Forget it, it's pointless to even say on here.
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
about the driving to campus , if your in the new dorms on east then you almost have to walk everywhere or else leave like 30 minutes to half hour before class, cuz were so far away from the tunnel. plus, we got out of debate last night at like 7:10 so had to drive up to TRBC for campus church
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I love how church is a set time from 6:15 to 7:15. That's always amused me about Baptists.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I think it should be just show up whenever you want, and hope someone else is there.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm talking about saying it'll end at 7:15. It's like saying church is from 11-12 on Sunday morning. It's just funny to me.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Comprendo, SJ. I know whereof you speak. You are correct, its a Baptist thing. But thats how most mainstream denominations (and non-denoms as well) operate. But traditionally charismatic denominations aren't bound by the time parameters. Both frames of mind have their positives & negatives.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I don't go on Sunday evenings because frankly, I'm not a huge Duane fan. I normally go on Sunday (mainly because I didn't have a car last semester and it was my only option. I enjoy Johnnie's preaching, so I'll still attend).

The only problem I had with this past Wed. at Campus Church was it took me 25 minutes to get out of the parking lot.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
LU could use a light rail system like WVU has. It's called a Personal Rapid Transit system. You just swipe your card and ride a light rail train to a different part of campus.

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]